Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.
It shows you in makinac island. Is it possible you clicked on the wrong valhalla?
You think you will ever get Ed to admit he has made a mistake?
Sorry K1W1, but it's hard to make that mistake when you have your boat in "My Fleet". Also it would be 2 people making the same mistake, both of whom have her in "My Fleet". More likely someone at Marine Traffic reads YF. As for being willing to admit my mistakes, I'm happily married for nearly 40 years. Trust me, I'm not only very used to admitting my mistakes, but to taking the blame for those around me as well.
Today the bow cam will go off until about October 19 (weather permitting). Hope everyone enjoyed. It's been a very good, beautiful and interesting leg. We're leaving Valhalla in Charlevoix, Mi. for the next few weeks due to bad weather coming in. This is a beautiful, well protected harbor, with an easy fuel dock at Ward's and very nice city marina. I highly recommend it as an overnight stop or a port of refuge.
Very nice town to be stuck in for a little while, your bow cam is looking directly at the owner of Four Winns home with indoor dockage and quite a few drop dead gorgeous wooden boats including a large Chris Craft.
Google "Winn house charlevoix"
We are heading south in our 56 on the 13th!
If he owns a gorgeous early 60's-late 50's vintage Chris Craft runabout (26' +-), he was out yesterday afternoon. Thank him for me for giving my eyes a treat. We ate at the Gray Gables last night. Nice. But I've got to ask, how do they mow those back yards along Belvedere without either rolling over the lawn tractor or dying of a heart attack if they use a hand mower? I may just have found a new favorite port. Next spring I hope to be back and have the opportunity to drop the dink to explore the lake a bit. Hal "the happy dockmaster" certainly brightens up the place as well. Love meeting people who love and are proud of their towns.
We've actually seen his house on one of the television shows. I think it was Million Dollar Rooms on HGTV. Love the drive in boat garage.
Thanks Rodger. Great to meet you. And sorry I did not put two and two together to realize which Rodger you were. Duh!
It's been an interesting so far to say the least.
Are you heading down the Oswego/Erie, Champlain or heading up the St. Lawrence?
Capt. Bill how was your trip Oswego and Erie canal, and you stop at Ess kay marina ok. Yes its to bad we did not realize who that we were both members of yacht forums. Capt. Edd it is a good thing you laid up for a few weeks as the wind has been blowing since you left, winds Lake Ontario now are 40 - 50 knots out off the west. All of the Great Lakes are the same.
" We're leaving Valhalla in Charlevoix, Mi. for the next few weeks due to bad weather coming in."
I'm pretty good at forecasting the weather and sea conditions along the coast, especially the NY area. But the Great Lakes weather is very different. Looks like I'm getting a handle on it. When you decide to lay a boat up 3 or 4 days short of its winter home, it's good to be right.
If you don't get it to it's winter home pretty soon, you will leaving it right where it sits....
She'll go. If necessary the boss will come off and a mate will come on. I've got 3 to 4 cruising days left. I'm up on the 20th and will stay till the job's done.
Well if you arrive on the 20th, start your 4 day cruise on the 21st, based on the current weather forecast you'll only arrive to a steady cold rain on the 24th and beat the snow by a day. First snowfall for Charlevoix, Mi forecast on the 25th. First snowfall there last year was October 20.
First, I have zero faith in a forecast 12 days out.
Second, I don't buy a plane ticket until at most 4 days before so I can have a reasonable forecast (2 day forecast is as far out as I actually believe.)
Third, I've cruised / worked on L.I.Sound through one of the coldest winters on record the year I moved back from Florida. So I've experienced winter on the water.
Fourth, I was cruising through the Carolinas last year for the ice storm. No place is immune.
Fifth, I've set aside at least 10 days for the 3 / 4 day trip. (more if needed.)
Sixth, It's a Hatteras 56MY, 74,000 lbs. The only questions are how long the trip will take and whether the owner will want to be on board or I'll hire another professional. Getting to our winter home isn't in question unless/until the lake ices.
We got stuck in New Buffalo waiting to bring Nightingale to North Shore last year, ended up getting there November 17th after 15 days straight of horrible lake conditions.
We left on Nov. 15th, but only made it to St Joe before we had to duck in, these 56' Hatts do NOT like 4-6' short interval following seas. I had about 3" of snow on the boat. About a week later Grand Haven started getting ice in the harbor already.....
First, I have little faith in a forecast 12 hours out.
Second, 2 hours is as far out as I actually believe. Well, actually looking out my window is about my limit.
Third, I've cruised on the lake in snow and 20 degree temperatures in a 30' Cobalt.
Fourth, I lived in North Carolina for many ice storms.
Fifth, a 10 day 4 day trip? Is that possible? Doesn't it then become a 10 day trip?
Sixth, I'm not sure what it's weight has to do with anything, but sure you will make it. Hope for your sake it's closer to 4 days than 10.
No one was saying you wouldn't make it or that the forecast was guaranteed. Just looking at the weather where you're going and what is typical this time of year. Really not meant as seriously as you took it. Just hope your heater and your windshield wipers are working well. Then only thing more to hope for is calm water. Hope it's a nice easy trip.
Here is information on the Great Lakes
First, second and third, Can tell you've been in Florida for awhile. lol.. Want to know the weather? Look up. That's about as good a forecast as you'll get. Thankfully the jet stream tends to give us a little insight up north. (Not that I've never been surprised mind you.)
Fourth: Then you know how everything grinds to a halt. Fortunately we found a taxi driver from Indiana to get us from Myrtle Beach back up to Southport. Navigating ramps and decks with 2" of ice on them...well, it's an educational experience. lol.
Fifth, it makes a big difference Would you rather be in a gale on an air craft carrier or a 36 Carver? The 56 Hatt can take more than I can, and a lot more than the boss can. (RB480, know what you mean about the following seas. I'll be looking for 1-3, 3-5 max. Preferably off the bow.)
Sixth, Actually I worked out a deal with my boss to short-pay me for days spent on the dock. It was a hard negotiation, but I won. (You'd have to know my boss and myself to fully understand. We have backwards negotiations. I try to take less and he tries to pay me more.)
Thanks for the good wishes. A lot of times people take me more seriously than I mean to be taken also. It's all good, as long as there's adventure in life. Look who I'm telling. lol.
Oh I know the forecast in South Florida. Warm and sunny with a chance of showers or storms, today through eternity.
And we've been exposed to a lot different weather and sea conditions the last few months in Alaska and the PNW. Waiting for the sea conditions your boss likes along the west coast, heading from the Port Angeles to San Francisco, he could find himself waiting for years. Changes your definition of calm quickly. 3-4' wind waves with a 6' swell at 9 seconds is calm here. Actually looked along the Washington coast just now and saw 1' with 3' swells at 9 seconds. That is unbelievable. Midweek it's 3' wind and 5' swells. By next Monday, it's more real PNW at 7' wind and 12' swell.
Oh and when I lived in NC we got weather systems from two directions. Those coming north from Atlanta were easy to predict. Just follow them up the interstate. But those coming from the West came across mountains to get to us. Very tall mountains, the tallest east of the Mississippi. You had no idea what was going to happen to them along the way. Could kill a front or intensify it.
Well, right now it's 59 degrees and the high today is 70, partly sunny and pleasant and the people here think it's a beautiful warm day. We think of it as winter weather. But nice. They are warning about the heat wave returning this weekend and temperatures back in the 80's. Reminds me of my one trip to Hawaii in December when the big news was a warning of a three blanket night as the temperature was going to drop to 68 degrees overnight.
Yeah sorry one of us didn't put two and two together.
Trip was perfect weather wise all down the canals and on into NYC. And we did get full at Ess Kay, thanks.
Be well and see you next trip soon I hope.