Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Great Loop Cruise Video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

So are many of us in the U.S. We don't have a "polyvalent" system like in Europe but many of us have a limited deck license along with our unlimited engineering license and vice versa.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Jacks of all trades tend to be masters of none. I'll do emergency repairs and trouble-shooting, but why would I spend a day changing the oil on a boat, etc. when I get paid more to run them? Plus a guy who works as a mechanic all day every day can do any mechanical job in 1/4 the time it'll take me and he'll probably do it better. Other than emergency repairs my job is facilitator. I could have spent 2 days working on our plumbing problem. Instead I got a plumber here on Saturday night and he was done in a couple of hours. To look at the manifold on the shower I wouldn't recognize it as a Moen. and it wasn't marked. So how many taxis to Home Depot and how many hours would that have wasted. Today I got a mechanic to leave the job he was working and jump on ours. How long would it have taken me to hunt down a Baldwin B95-SS oil filter, then go get it by cab? The mechanic called his supplier here in Cleveland, hopped in his car to get it and his part of the job was done in 3 hours. I had enough work with getting the boat in safely, getting the right people on the job, and 3 hours of cleanup. I have no intention of trying to be all things for all people. I do one job and I do it well. As my daddy used to say "Every man to his trade".
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We are often employed as Captain/Engineers and sometimes also used as build supervisors. This doesn't mean that we do all the engine services or build the boats, but we could if need be... ;)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Things you see that make you wonder.

As we pulled in yesterday we were deafened by a stereo that was being installed on the boat next door. Like standing behind a jet taking off from a carrier. Could you imagine getting forward to work lines in a hurry and smashing your head on these or falling overboard because the hand holds were consumed by them? This is on a 36' Sea Ray'. So you know how skinny the decks are in this area. 20140819_171302.jpg
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think they have a message at the transom of that boat..? :)
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I make considerably more doing an oil change (plus fuel filters, zincs, etc etc) than running a boat. Not only am I making the same hourly or more, I'm also making the markup on all of the parts that I use to do the oil change. Also, sometimes you can save a lot of time to do the oil change yourself. When I did the Great Loop, I brought everything on board to do one oil change including all of the oil and everything else. So when we pulled in, we did a service on the engines and gens when it was needed rather than try to find someone who may or may not be reputable, if you can even find someone to fit your variable schedule.

That being said, if I have any work done I always check it several times until I am confident it's ok. I just seatrialed a boat today that had the dripless seals changed among other things, we checked them on startup, once we got out of the marina and underway, another time in 30 mins, another time when we got up to cruise, after 30 mins at cruise and upon shutdown.

Most filters have a picture and do recommend using a filter wrench to tighten them.......most show hand tight and an additional 3/4 turn +/- depending on the filter. I don't kill them, but make sure I have probably 10-15ft lbs of torque on them. If they show so many turns, I usually go by that and turn them that much. But there have been many filters I've come across that takes he-man to remove them.

But I do agree in some places it may be easier to call someone out and have them come to the boat and do the work. When I was in Charleston I had a battery charger go bad and fry 2 banks of batteries. I had the charger overnighted and changed it, then had the battery company lined up to come out and already told them what type and how many batteries we needed. Most jobs I prefer to do myself because I know it's done right and done to ABYC standards.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Good on you, J. That pretty much describes the actions and attitude of a small-boat captain who operates professionally and provides an owner with more than just "staff captain" services. It seems to be more the standard in the Gulf, Florida and the Pacific Northwest than other areas I have been in the US.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ultimately it amounts to the requirements the owner sets and the Captain agrees to fulfill. Certainly the Captain's skill and experience must match those requirements or the requirements must be modified. It also depends on the overall relationship between owner and Captain. While I've only dealt with a couple of Captains and Engineers, I've found generally they do not want others doing routine maintenance and basic work. They tend to be, and I mean this in a very positive way, a bit of control freaks. They consider themselves responsible and want to be sure everything is done right. That includes supervising any cleaning of the exterior of the boat as well, checking on the work of the divers, and observing haul outs. They're possessive of the boat.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

But see you own the business. Also, because jobs would take me longer and someone who does it every day will (should) do it better, I'd be doing a disservice to my customer. I also make way more as a captain than I ever would as a mechanic.

"Most jobs I prefer to do myself because I know it's done right and done to ABYC standards." This does kill me however. I so prefer to at least be there to supervise the work being done. That plumbing job is a prime example. The shower manifold was one story, but I also had them replace the faucet washers on the sink. They were set to replace the guts until I told them that I'd done that job several times, and it's just the washers that need changing. So that part of the job was probably $10. I'm not about to break a sweat for $10 when they're already there, but I probably saved my boss $100 by supervising. It should also be noted that I do not charge for anything but captaining. Any mechanical work I do is just part of my day. I'm not certified, trained, licensed nor insured as a mechanic. If I were even perceived as doing damage it would be trouble. Also if I charged I'd be in a whole different category, and one the marinas wouldn't like since I'd be taking work away from them. I depend on marinas to send me work as a captain.

We all do what works for us and our clients. My people have been satisfied with me for almost 30 years, and I've enjoyed my work. If I wanted to do something else I'd have stayed in the collection business where there was serious money to be made. Smiling faces are more important to me than scrounging out every last available dollar. As you might imagine, I did not get into this business for the money.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This true, but I think a Captains job goes above and beyond what the owner wants. I can honestly say that 1 owner I work for that has a 62' yacht has never once seen inside of the engine room and doesn't care what goes on in there so long as everything works. But regardless of what the owner wants, here is my checklist of what a Captain should be doing.

The vessel should be maintained in a manner that it is reliable for it's use, safe, and in good repair before leaving any dock. The Captain is responsible for the safety of the owners/guest, the crew, and the vessel at all times (whether at the dock on a trip or not). The fluids and engine room should be checked before each voyage and periodically during each voyage. The vessel should be equipped with spare parts and tools to fix most all common issues that may arise. The primary job is to make sure the owner and guests are having an enjoyable trip/time. The Captain should also ensure that when things are fixed, they are fixed properly, not island engineered.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

One thing that has to be remembered is that on most small boats the captains are not employed full-time, but instead come on board with the owner who expects to be cruising while aboard. Hopefully they employ a service such as captain J's that manage the boat, but even that's not common. More times than not they'll simply hire the captain who is available at the time they're ready to cruise, and put their boat in for service twice a year. Otherwise they just fix things as they break. So a quick check of the engine room before cruising is all they get.
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

:eek:

Are you sure you want to keep talking about this?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is a thread about a cruise, and what happens during that cruise. In the last day its been hijacked by those wanting to discuss engineering and maintenance. I'm partially responsible for allowing myself to get drawn in.

Let's get back to cruising. We had a real nasty storm blow through last night with winds near 60 mph. There's currently a line of questionable weather stretching all the way to the Pacific. Plans will be changing day to day and hour to hour. We're currently thinking about forgetting 90 mile stretches, and cutting back to 30-40 runs.
  14. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Funny.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've done the trip you've done in entirety once, and twice to either Ohio or Wisconsin. What I've found is the weather is very localized a lot of times and the weather pattern and sea state seems to change about every 60 miles and can be completely different. On one trip we left from Detroit and it was beautiful all of the way up to past Port Huron, another 60 miles near Saginaw Bay we had 4-6's out of the west, another 60 miles and we had them on our bow, then another 60 miles and it laid down and was 2' out of the east. Do whatever run feels good at the time, plan a 90 mile run and if it is going to get nasty pull in shorter.

Checking on the engineering and maintanence is your job as a Captain and to ensure you have a safe trip. If that oil had sprayed on hot exhaust or something, it would've been a fire in no time. I always check the engine room periodically (or have it checked by a skilled mate). You go to use the head and the owner takes over the helm, how much time does it take to open each engine room door and take a 20 second peak around. I go as far on trips to actually pull a racor out and physically look at it at the end of the day.
  16. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Webcam down?
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's exactly what we're finding with the weather up here. Much less predictable than on the coast.

Engine room checks are SOP. We had no problem on the run from Erie and everything was fine when we pulled out yesterday (after the first E.R. check). Problem happened fast when we were about 10 minutes outside the inlet, and was caught immediately (hence we still have a transmission).

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the AP. Never had a need to adjust them before. Studied the manual, made the adjustment and we're running straight as an arrow now with 20 mph winds on our beam. Never too old to learn new stuff, and there's always something new in this business.

Next stop Sandusky Ohio about 1330 today. No video this morning. Sorry. Problem with the server. We're trying to get it resolved. Hopefully it'll be back up by the time we dock. Nothing much to see out here anyway. We've only passed one other boat, the Grand Caribe, a small cruise ship.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Coming into Sandusky. Bow cam is working.
  19. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You're the only boat in sight without sails.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, they tend not to push boats like this real well, and 20 mph winds make it a little wet for the small powerboat crowd. It's a sail day.:)

We're secured at the Sandusky Y.C. Nice and well located it appears. Getting in was a little tight, but that helps keep the heart rate up and reminds the boss why I'm here. Not much dockage up this way for over 45'.