Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Great Loop Cruise Video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks Bill, but that seems more like an ad for Sea Tow than valuable data. What I find today is that we're suffering from information overload. I have a couple of sources that give some pretty good info, but nothing beats your eyes on the water texture and color. It seems like every day I get barraged with 'get this app for your I-phone or Android'. In the end people are too busy looking at their notes from questionable sources or gluing their eyes to their chart plotters that they don't know how to use to notice the waves breaking on the shoal in front of them. We're all familiar with Active Captain. They have some good info and programs. But they are so consumed with being the latest with the greatest, and barraging me with e-mails telling me to check this or that program out that I've stopped even looking at them. I delete their e-mails unread. TMI! People spend their entire lives sitting behind their desk checking or buying the latest gizmo so they can tell their friends they have it, and their boat never leaves the dock. Not my style. Bet I'm one of the only guys on here that doesn't carry a "smart" phone. I don't even connect my "dumb" cell phone to my e-mails. Tonight I was having dinner with the boss and he gave me a weather forecast that didn't sound right. He was on NOAA, and getting forecasts for Hudson Canyon. We'll be running along the Jersey coast. So I connected him to Dial-A-Buoy, but by the time I zoomed in here so I could read it without a microscope, then panned over there for the next 3 words of the sentence, etc., etc. I thought I'd go blind. Nope, I'll stick with my trusted sources, especially talking with the locals and other cruisers on the same route.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I want to give props to Newport Marina here on the Jersey side of the Hudson. Beautiful facility, great view of Manhattan and you don't get the wakes barreling in like at Chelsea and North Cove, just some gentle rocking. I got one of the best nights sleep I've ever gotten on a boat. Lots of side-to docking, wide basins, 50 & 100 amp service (although the voltage is still low, but adequate with our boosters. Wonder if the utilities are just cutting back in the summer heat.) Anyway, for anyone heading through this area I highly recommend them. If you want to visit Manhattan it just a water taxi ride across the river. Oh, and their dockage was a few dollars per foot cheaper.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by that Ed. The ARGUS depth data is collected and updated constantly. So it is far more accurate than any chart.

But it's just another tool and you have to use what ever tools you are most comfortable with.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tomorrow at 0900 ESTwe'll be casting off and cruising down NY Harbor heading for Atlantic City. If you haven't crusied past the Statue of Liberty, under the Verrizano narrows bridge out to the ocean and would like to have the experience log onto our bow cam at Valhalladoestheloop.com. Enjoy.
  5. Mydas touch

Mydas touch New Member

Fair Winds, Fair Tides!

Good luck Gents!
    Best to work with Mother Nature than against. Allowing flexibility to such a voyage is a wise approach.
    May just have to check the web cam 'morrow as I have not seen these sites from the water! Though I likely will be using my... (wait for it) smart phone, as we will be on the water ourselves. I was a holdout forever on the smartphone issue. Finally I caved and got a cheap one for work. LOVE IT. Hands down. I am fully proficient with the technology since learning with( and teaching) my friend about the first iphone, however many years ago that was! :rolleyes:
    Anyway, things like being able to instantly bring up Doppler Radar for your area on the Phone, as a back up GPS, E-mails on the go, ect, ect. I didn't need it, though my work was the deciding factor, and it has enhanced/ increased my productivity, and used properly, my safety.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was hoping to die or at least retire before having to get computerized, but business demanded it. Now I'm hooked. I'll hold off on the smart phones as long as I can, so I can maybe have something left to retire on.:D I think all men (and a lot of women) are closet tech junkies at heart waiting to be set lose with the latest gizmo.
    Looks to be a nice day on the water tomorrow. Have fun.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Valhalla is underway.0820
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

11.48 your time , it looks like you could do with trimming her up a bit to get rid of that Stbd list
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Probably just my winter pounds on the starboard companionway, but we'll blame it on the camera angle. The tabs are on automatic.:D

We just passed Barnegat light and have an ETA at A.C. of 1550.
    These are the days this boat is made for. Nice relaxing cruise. Just how the boss likes it.
  10. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Great Loop Cruise

Had a look at you on AIS looks like you are off North Beach Haven doing 13.1 knots. Added you to my fleet on Marine Traffic easy to find you now.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I'm sorry Ed, I totally missed this thread starting. I will be following with great interest your shenanigans along the way.

Got the blog email, thanks.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That would have been us, and thank you. I have yet to be able to pull her up and was wondering if the guy sold us an empty AIS box. Did you pick her up on Marine Traffic.com Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions or some other site? Even sitting here in Atlantic City I don't see any boats with AIS and I know a bunch around me have it.

BTW, the after the refit and a couple of months getting fixed what the yard didn't work on despite being on the list :mad: the boat seems to be running very well. We did have one issue when docking the other night and again this morning. We have hydraulic controls. The other night docking I had forward and reverse on the port engine at the lower helm, but no neutral. (Yeah, that was fun.) This morning when I started the motors I noticed that the port was in forward. Again could not get neutral. From the upper helm it worked fine, and since using the upper helm everything is working fine at the lower helm.:confused::confused:

Another problem we're having is technology. I don't expect anyone here to be able to help with this. I'm just grumbling. We can't get the KVH to work. Trying to find a tech. I've got 2 remotes with about 100 buttons. Hit menu and it asks a million questions about what I want to hook up, etc. and then can't do diddly squat. I just want to watch a little TV. Hit an on button and maybe another to change a channel. Is that asking too much of this world?:mad: The other tech grumble is that our WiFi keeps going out. We get it working for like 3 days and then nothing. Last time our tech guy said it was that Verizon decided to disconnect us for some nuts reason about us monitoring our own security systems so they decided we really didn't want to be hooked up. DUH! So almost to Atlantic City our cameras and WiFi went down again. I'm sure my tech guy was thrilled to get my call on a Sunday evening.

DK if the camera was up at the time or if anyone caught it, but we had a whale pop up about 200' ahead of our boat today, again off to our side and a third time behind us off Little Egg Inlet. That was pretty cool. I know there are right whales in the area, but this looked white. May have just been the light though. In all my years this is only the 2nd whale I've seen in these waters. Definitely a thrill.
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Don't suppose you would list your mmsi?

Would make it easier to find you.
  14. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Great Loop

Yes it was on Marine Traffic.com
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't think it would help. Apparently we just don't show unless we're in the ocean. But at least now I know we should be visable to other boats. May try moving or changing our AIS antenae at our next layup.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like the tech wired your AIS power to your radar possibly. So unless your radar is on, the AIS doesn't have power so it cannot send a signal.

As for the hynautic, it definately sounds like you have air in the system or a loose solenoid/cable/linkage down at the engine. First check the Hynautic solenoid in the Engine room on that side, sometimes they used cables from that to motor/gear, sometimes linkage and see if something is loose there. Otherwise, you need to bleed the system which should be done from the upper helm and you loosen the torx bolt on the side of the shifter you're having a problem on and bleed some fluid out. Keep an eye on your fluid level and air pressure in the resevoir when doing this.
  17. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

In case you don't have it here is the number for KVH tech support. 401-847-3327 They have always been very helpful in the past.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Our radar is always on, but it's wired to our GPS anyway and uses the VHF antenae.

Good advice on the hydraulics. I'm not familiar with these systems, but that sounds right. Thanks for the instructions.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Trying to get a KVH guy on board with short notice at this time of year is tricky. Fortunately we had a guy from close by doing a demo in the marina today. He stopped by, but wasn't able to get things going with the tools he had. So he's having his teck meet us in Cape May tomorrow.

BTW, the camera is back up. Evidently the moden they used is the latest and greatest and of course has bugs.:rolleyes: But it also has self-diagnostics and self-reset. So it brought itself back to life. Can't say I understand this stuff, but as long as it works and I've got a number to call when it doesn't all good.
    If anybody's watching we should be pulling out tomorrow about 0900 or so for about a 3 hour run to Cape May.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pics

Here's a few pics from yesterday

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.jpg

Attached Files: