Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Great Loop Cruise Video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Workplace portable tools have pretty much all changed to 110V in Europe , this I am told was because no one has ever been electrocuted by 55V.

Whether this is the reason of not who really knows, maybe the law makers had relations who made power tools like the French Politician who made those breath testing things everyone had to have in their cars.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

My tug was 120VDC, it also had an open switchboard just to add to the vintage character of the thing. Fortunately I lived in an area where old DC marine components were still available surplus so maintenance was not as difficult as it could have been.

I agree that high voltage DC will probably become the norm for many reasons, but that is another discussion probably worthy of its own thread.

Don't know about "safer" since neither is any more dangerous than any other energy source but I think the European system is certainly simpler.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Is 190 volts within the accepted range for a 240 volt system? Also when the power utility delivers 240-245volts to the area? There have been several yacht fires at this marina and none at any of the other marina's in Miami. One was an 80' Lazzarra they had to cut the hullside to get someone out, the other was a newish Azimut and there were a few others that caught fire, were a total loss that I don't remember. You can go look at any FPL meter now and it shows the volts right on it, every single one I've looked at in any part of town from Boca to Miami sits at 240-245 volts.

The problem on the smaller yachts where you're running a single 50 amp or 2-50 amp cords, is that you can easily max that out just with stuff thats normally running on the boat at a given time. I run a 62' yacht/express that has a single 50amp cord. It has 6 air conditioners, water heater, a washer/dryer, cooktop, microwave, dishwasher, and many other things off of that single 50amp service. Heck, when it's hot out just the ac's pull almost all 50 amps. So when the voltage is 50 volts lower, the amperage is so much higher that it really puts everything to the test and really makes something that isn't a problem, a problem. Most motoryachts and sportfish are this way and quite frankly should have larger electric service.

On the larger boats you have 2-100 amp cords or more if 3 phase so there's more room to work with if a 20amp compressor kicks on. Also many have transformers and soft start compressors on everything that help as well. Some even have systems to marry the two shorepower cords together and balance the load to either one of them.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Isn't there an EU regulation that requires a grounded center tap transformer for powering those tools on outside worksites? That type of system will limit voltage to ground to 55V when a conductor meets a navvy standing in a pool of water.

Keep in mind that it is current and the path of that current that kills, not voltage. You only need enough voltage to overcome the resistance of the conductor to turn him into a victim. Having said that, most regulations consider 50V and below to be "safe" enough that different standards apply.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The boss is hooking up to a Canadian plan today. Still dear, but not as shocking. So we'll be turning the camera back on while we cruise, but just while we cruise. Tomorrow: Cobourg, about 87nm from here. Casting off about 0830 and docking between 1600 & 1700.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I thought conductors were on trains and yachts have captains.....
    Now I gotta go back and re-read this whole thread to see where I got sidetracked.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Too much of that sort of waffle and we will know you've gone off the rails.....:D
  8. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I thought they were talking about me for a second, because I as a bit grumbly with the power situation when I first pulled in here. lol. In fact I may bite someone pretty soon if I can't figure out the weather here. We stayed put today because the winds are up out of the west and seas are 3'-5' (OK for the boat but not for keeping the pleasure in "pleasure boating"). Similar forecast for tomorrow until about 1500 today. When I noticed the seas lay down I checked NOAA, and the forecast is now for less than 1' and NW-SW winds 5-10 kts. So the plan is now to get off the dock at 0730. Then, about a half hour ago I feel the boat rock, and look out to see 3' and all white caps. That means 3'-5' after the point 4 hours away. I won't be happy if I get up at 0500 and end up sitting on the dock all day, nor if I go out and give the boss a thrill ride. So if you read about someone diving into Kingston Harbor tomorrow and kicking the c--- out of that shark, you'll know what happened.:D Gotta say that weather is much easier to predict on the coast.
  10. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Just curious, are you going to Belleville and Trenton,

on your way to Cobourg?
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No. Straight to, then Toronto and into the Welland Canal.

P.S. Flat calm this morning. Guess the shark is safe.:D
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You need 3 people on board to transit up the Welland Canal. You pull into the entrance to the canal and on your port side is a concrete basin/seawall with a pay machine like for a parking spot for your car as well as a phone booth where you tie up. Have long lines ready because the pipes to tie up to are pretty far spaced. The phone booth is for Canadian customs, which it sounds like you don't need to call as you've already cleared Canadian customs. The pay machine is for the fee for the canal. I hope you're hiring Rodger as your pilot. He's a great guy and I got to meet him when I used him on a 64' Viking SC a few years ago. Plan on a full day to transit the canal, then at the end of the canal there is a grain factory on your starboard side, you can go around that and there is a nice marina there. It's well worth taking the taxi ride to "The Keg" for dinner, the steaks and seafood are amazing and the waittresses are "f'ing mint" which is what the marina shuttle kid told us, but every other word out his mouth was f'ing......LOL
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've quoted our plan Cap. Won't comment on the waitress though since my wife follows the thread. I'll just mention that the Grand Hotel in Kingston is a nice place for lunch also.:D
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Cobourg, Ontario

Beautiful harbor and marina, only 2 blocks from the heart of a very nice town. Wonderful people here, and I was even able to find a hearing aid repair (free although I did buy fancy muffins for the girls as a thank you). I like it here.

I read in the local paper that there's talk of expanding the marina, which would be good, except for one thing. My pet peeve, only worse. 175v electric, but worse because they only have rickety old pedestals containing (2) 30 amp plugs on each. These things look as old as me. Since my dock is mostly empty (and I have (2) "Y" adapters) I was able to cover my electric needs. But there's a larger (crewed) yacht in tonight. and it appears that they're spending the night on their gen. If anybody has connections with this town, please explain to the city fathers that these type boats can spend a lot of money in their towns. But if you leave them running their gens, they won't come back.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Bow Cam

Just occurred to me that some of the Newbies here may not know how to follow our trip unless they back-track through 20 something pages of posts, and the next few days should be fairly interesting.

If you go to Marinetraffic.com you'll be able to find Valhalla by name, or just go to the map in Lake Ontario between Cobourg & Toronto today and look for the pink pleasure craft icon. Once you find it, click on it and you'll see where to hit for 'show track', which shows the track we've been following. Enter the vessel as "My Fleet" and it'll be easy to find in the future.

To see what we're seeing off our bow in real time, go to:

Valhalladoestheloop.com.

The camera is currently on during our cruising legs from 0800 to 2000 EST daylight saving (although we may shut it while on the dock if the Canadian costs are prohibitive).

Enjoy. Today we'll be cruising from Cobourg to Toronto, tomorrow to the mouth of the Welland Canal. For those who wonder who Roger is, he'll probably be popping up on camera Sunday as we cruise through the Welland Canal.:D Next week we'll be making our way through Lake Erie out to Detroit.
  16. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

or

click the link.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Quiet ride across Lk. Ontario to Pt. Dalhousie today. A bit boring and gray, but short. Met up with Roger for a burger after we arrived. He had a place lined up with the perfect atmosphere for a sea dog, and great food. He and the waitress gave me a strange look when I asked for it well done, and then he explained that's the only way they serve it up here. So those of you who like to hear "Mooo" when the plate is served be prepared. lol. He even stopped at Walmart so I could pick up a pin for my watchband Good man. He gave me a bit of the local history and about the Welland Canal. I'm not the kind that likes tourist stuff or fancy restaurants. Much rather see the local area and spend some time chatting with guys like him. One disappointing thing I find as I travel around is how homogenized every place has become. Walmart, Costco, HD, Pizza Hut, etc. I swear that if you were taken anywhere on this continent blindfolded and dropped off you'd never know if it was Florida, Virginia, NY or Canada except for the trees and people in the smaller towns.

Tomorrow Roger will be joining us as our 3rd man as we transit the Welland Canal. We'll pull out of here about 0800 tomorrow. Roger says it could take anywhere from 5 or 6 hours up to 10 or 12, depending on traffic, but he expects closer to the former than the latter. For those of you curious about the Welland Canal stay tuned to our bow cam.
  18. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Roger is the MAN.

Finally.jpg
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Is that where NYCAP has to sit when the owner gets mad at him? I've seen plenty of pictures in plenty of different places with him sitting on that same deck box......hehehehehe
  20. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

You mean his "time out" seat!? :D