Click for Comfort Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Great Loop Cruise Video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

After an 8 month refit, a broken foot delay, and switching from Plan A to Plan B, C, D, E & F it looks like we're finally getting under way tomorrow.
    Our original plan was to do a shake down cruise in April, then head for Canada via the Erie Canal into Lk. Ontario, the Trent-Severn an onward through the Great Loop counter-clockwise.
    Now our plan is instead to head slowly south through the Chesapeake and eventually out towards New Orleans, doing the Loop clockwise at a liesurely pace over the next year or two.

After a couple of false starts we're heading out mid-day tomorrow (Friday). Wish us luck. Tomorrow we're heading from Long Island down to the Hudson River. From there we'll head down to Atlantic City on Sunday, and heading up to the Philidelphia area over the next week for Leg 1 of the trip. If you'd like to enjoy the cruise with us pop onto Valhalladoestheloop dot com, and you'll be looking off our bow. Enjoy.

P.S. I expect to finally be showing off my YF shirt.
  2. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Congratulations!

Sounds like a well deserved adventure!

Curious... what are the tradeoffs you considered in going "clockwise / upriver" vs. the more popular counterclockwise? I figure the fuel has to be enough to notice but not a real factor in the grander scheme, and the time not a big issue if you're not trying to beat the clock.

I'll be checking the web video feed!

Chuck
  3. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Great Loop

Have a safe trip. Will keep an eye on your updates.
    Rodger
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mother Nature, Karma and Canadian austerity joined forces against us. First we've had delay after delay in the yards, and since we have very little experience with this boat we'd be taking a big risk as there are very few facilities that can handle this boat between here and Detroit. In the middle of that the Erie Canal had floods that caused closures, then I broke my foot and wasn't allowed to even stand until about 2 weeks ago. Then we got word that Canada has cut back on the lock-master jobs on the Trent-Severn and it would be almost impossible for our boat to make it from port to port in a day's travel. Finally, with the owner's schedule, it'd be unlikely that we could get out of the Great Lakes before winter hits unless we put the rush on, and that would defeat the purpose of this cruise. So we've set our current destination as New Orleans. In the Spring we'll make the final decision about whether to do the Tenn-Tom or Mississippi or backtrack to the east coast and cover old ground first.
    The owner has already done Ft. Lauderdale to Beaufort, N.C. and Long Island out to Detroit. I did the Detroit run with him, and the east coast 27 times, but never at an enjoyable pace. We're both looking to cover new territory and see some of the sights along the way.
  5. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Wow... so the stretch between Ft. Lauderdale and Detroit seems the majority of the new ground, interesting! I'm curious how folks that have done the whole loop characterize the Gulf/Rivers portion in comparison to the rest. Of course new horizons are always fun, so that's gotta be a plus.

..."and the east coast 27 times, but never at an enjoyable pace", care to elaborate? Long time skipper, lots of ICW runs?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Up at dawn, run as fast as the boat and traffic can stand, good weather or bad till dark Deliveries. This time, tourist pace. 2 1/2 months to make Nags Head. On deliveries I've made NY to Miami in 5 days.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would certainly NOT want to try to go up the Mississippi, especially in spring and fight a 8-10 knot current the entire way and tons of debris. The Tenn-Tomm would be a much more logical choice if you're going up river. Also it is beautiful.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although there are places more severe, the speed of the river is listed between 1.2 and 3 mph. However the Tenn-Tom is the most likely choice. The debris though is a serious concern. Our choices will be heavily weighted by what happens over the winter. Everything about this cruise will be very fluid.
  9. weto

weto Senior Member

Straighten that Dad Gum camera, would ya ? ;)
  10. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Regardless of whether you leave from NOLA or Mobile, you'll have to go uphill on the Miss from Cario to the Illinois. The current on the upper Miss can be quite swift, and fuel and facilities are almost nonexistent. Hoppies is all but silted up. You're probably looking at 3 to 4 nights anchoring in the river in that stretch. I have a friend who did the loop clockwise, and this was the most difficult portion of the trip both in terms of fighting current and finding safe places to overnight - and you must not attempt a night passage on the river - even in times of low rainfall, there is just too much floating down.
  11. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

Have fun and safe trip!

When you get to the Detroit area, contact me and plan on a nice stay at the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club.
  12. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Have a good trip Ed. Stay safe and look after that foot!

I have your webcam on my desktop. Looking forward to the show.
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

I just saw a YF T-Shirt.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't forget the cute guy wearing it.:) We're finally underway, heading down Long Island Sound to the Esat River on day 1 of leg 1. So far all seems good. With luck................
  15. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hi NICAP,

Just saw, you still have to use a walker. Be careful and bon voyage !!!!!!
  16. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I agree. I would go up the Tenn-Tomm.
  17. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Looking good in the tee shirt!

Just saw you take a good dose of spray off the bow too.
    Time for wet tee shirt competition?

The sun is over the yardarm here, so time for G and T to toast you on your way.

Fair winds.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, the shirt's been blessed.:) All went well today, except does anyone know a KVH guy in the Jersey City area. No signal.:( We're in at Newport Marina for the next day to wait out possible thunderstorms, and hope to head down to A.C. on Sunday. My first time staying on this side of the Hudson. There a lot less banging around here than at Chelsea or North Cove. Also, they seem to have more slips for larger boats and easy docking.
  19. Capt Bill11

Have a fun and safe trip. I'm envious!

And check you PM box.
  20. Capt Bill11

I can't remember if I passed this along to you before or not. And you may well be aware of it already. But on a trip like you are doing checking out the latest ARGUS depth data may come in handy from time to time.

ARGUS - Survice Engineering