Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Cross

Grady White 30 Marlin 1996 stress crack or?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by MeLikeCookies, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

1996 Grady White Marlin 30' that has a crack in the fiberglass on floor in Head. Please see Pic that I hopefully attached and if anyone has info on how cracked may have happened? Stress related? anyone had a grady white with similiar crack? I am looking at boat to buy and I am concerned that there could be hull damage if floor flexed enough to crack was boat abused?
    Grady's I always thought were extremely tough but this may not be a big deal.
    Could it be from bashing through head seas? boat has twin 250 Yamaha's.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread has been moved to the tender forum. In the future, please choose a forum that is specific to the subject.
  3. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

I am sorry I would think tender forum would be for a tender? something in the 8-12' range? This a 32' grady white Marlin with twin 250 yamaha's. why would you move it to tender, no intiendo? Maybe there is another forumn more appropiate but I believe this is a general question about me purchasing a 32' 9000lb boat with some probable damage?
  4. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

I would say that it could just be a spot that has no give. If the head portion of the mold set into the hull has no reinforcement there, then it very well could be a stress issue. I've known Gradys to be tough boats, but you still never know what someone may put a boat through. On the other hand, it could just be an area where some glass was laid up thin or reinforcement was missing.

Yes, a 30' Grady is a large boat, but the forum is for bigger boats. Like Yachts. People that have big yachts tow Regulators, Gradys, etc. as a tender.....
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Looks like mo big deal. This is a 15 year old Grady. They tend to get used and abused. I'd make sure to sea-trial in as rough as I could find to make sure she's not losened up, but this alone doesn't mean much. How does the hull look on the inside around that area?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It could have been a void in the floor when they laid up the boat, or a lack of support. OR, it could be a broken stringer or something causing excess movement throughout the hull. It's impossible to say. Hire a surveyor to do a hull survey or have someone knowledgable really inspect the stringer system and bulkheads.
  7. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

Thanks for the reply's I go to see boat wednesday afternoon and will inspect as carefully as possible. Not sure if I can see under floor of bathroom floor, that would require removing head more than likely and I am not going to get that far into it. But I would get a good Marine Surveyor to inspect hull but from Pics of other parts of boat everything looks actually good for a 15 year old boat. I was just hoping others that may of owned Gradys might say it's normal or run from the boat. I had a 281 Chris Craft Catalina 1978 that I repowered with a 230 yanmar and it cruised at 18knots but wide open would do 21 knots and I push that so hard in big seas that I cracked stringers and the flexing cracked the bathroom floor in almost the same spot so you can see my concern.
  8. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

ah your post came up as I was wrighting mine and that is what I spect is a broken stringer that allowed the movement to break the floor in the head. I can make offer pending a good marine survey for sure. Thanks for the confirmation capt j
  9. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

cracks

Get the hull checked, but you need to be a little realistic about cracks in the molded fittings. Boats fished offshore usually have enjoyed their fair share of going over the top of a wave and finding very little on the other side. We all know the sickening feeling as the stern of boat crashes into trough. Your first thought on landing is uaually "f**k that has to have done some damage" No boat can do that year in and year out with a few cracks in mouldings and maybe the odd stringer.

Just make sure the hull is solid and that cracks are "normal wear" and not indicative of major structual problems.