Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning

Good News Sails Marina Complex in FLL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Neil Rooney, Jul 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Neil Rooney

Neil Rooney Senior Member

2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Not for nothing, but Ft Lauderdale should have approved that a long time ago. That area is so run down, anything there would be an improvement. So both sides gave in and Tom and his partners can build The Sails, albeit a little scaled down. These guys have already sunk mucho $$$ into the marina and it looks good. I'm sure they'll do a nice job on the hotel and area. And it's another docking point for the big yachts. Can only help the marine biz there.
  3. I worked at one of the yacht brokerage offices located at the old Best Western Hotel for four years. Back then the docks were run down and in really bad shape. They have all been redone and were redone the right way.

The docks are great for larger yachts because of the deep water there, over 20 feet, and the ability to accomodate yachts well over two hundred feet. I saw the USCG training ship, EAGLE tied up there once.

The dock master, Tim Nipple, worked for the old owner, and the new owners of The Sails wisely kept him on the staff. I am sure he had some good input in the rebuilding of the docks. Many captains who stayed there before might be surprised the Tim is still there.