Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Westport

Good boating neighborhoods in Charleston.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, May 21, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

in our efforts to get the hell out of California, we are exploring Charleston this weekend. We are looking Downtown and Daniels Island. $1-2m budget. Where’s a good place to handg a center console out back?

And what are the must see places ( nice places and dive bars!!)
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

My daughter lives in Charleston and we have kept the boat there a couple of summers in the past. Very nice dining and lots to do. The water is brown and the beaches in my opinion are not the prettiest. Sullivans island has some beautiful homes that are on a penisula with Charleston harbor on one side and the ICW on the other. Good place for the center console. REgarding dive bars with boat access that would be Shem Creek. The town of Mt Pleasant has a number of homes on water but it is exposed and most are on lifts. That is between Shem creek and the ICW. The traffic to Folly which may go across Daniel is a real problem on summer weekends so keep that in mind.
    BrianR5525 likes this.
  3. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Agree about the so-so beaches in the Charleston area. Also water is often brown due to tannin from rivers. Beaches are far nicer and water is blue north of Cape Fear in NC. Charleston has excellent urban attractions compared to NC coast, although Wilmington is a decent small city. Charleston is quite hot and humid in summer.
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Funny you mentioned Wilmington. We spend a lot to time there. Very pretty and a fair amount to do. Wrightsville
    Beach is very nice and many islands nearby to explore and hang out. We chose Wilmington/Wrightsville area over Charleston.
  5. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Have an old friend who lives north of Wrightsville in Hampstead. Lovely area, ocean off barrier beaches is pretty blue color. Beach sand is far nicer than the mucky, muddy sand I found on Kiawa Island beach just south of Charleston. I would pick coastal NC over Charleston for sure.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hampstead the people are god awefully weird. I had several extremely strange experiences with uber and lyft drivers there. Wrightsville is nice but a bit limited in things to do.

As for Charleston. You have to visit Hall's chophouse and Hanks seafood, both excellent.
  7. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

Myrtle Beach gets my vote...a lot more bang for your $ here and a million things to do. With that budget you are on the ICW in twice the home you would get in Charleston (The Dunes is awesome). PM if you’d like my realtor goddess wife to send you some ideas....
  8. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I think we are looking for a very year around urban scene. The northern beaches seem too seasonal. Would love to be able to walk to restaurants and bars. This will be a second home. I’m a fan of SoFlo but the wife thinks she will like this better.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Have you considered Hilton Head?

While there are waterfront homes in Charleston, they're often outside a bit. One option there is to have a nice home and keep the boat at a marina. The waterfront homes that have you on the water, mostly involve covering some distance to open water.
  10. boatme99

boatme99 Member

I lived in Charleston for 3 1/2 years. It was a very long time ago so I've nothing to add about neighborhoods but js is right, the summers were brutal.
    And that was in the early 70s. What with all the global warming, it must be as hot as the 5th ring of Hades by now!
  11. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

Market Commons has that vibe in Myrtle Beach-Walk to restaurants, bars, movies, bowling....beautiful area. Walking distance to the beach so the breezes keep the heat tolerable. I like it so much I close on a house there in 2 weeks.

https://www.marketcommonmb.com/
  12. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

When we wintered in Charleston a couple years ago, we visited the Mount Pleasant area up Shem Creek... might be worth a look...

For our purposes at the time, the City and Ashley Marinas were more suited to vacationing on the peninsula in downtown Charleston...

-Chris
  13. A captain

A captain New Member

I lived in Charleston City Marina for a few years and although I've traveled the east coast extensively, I don't think there is a better or more interesting place to spend time on that coast as a first or second residence.
    To say the weather is miserable in the summer is putting it lightly, but the whole mid-Atlantic region is at least as bad, if not worse, so the choice from Ga to NJ is about the same weather wise.
    However, Charleston is a becoming a very cosmopolitan small enclave in the deep south. There is a lot to do on a peninsula that is quite walkable and any and all services one might need are available. The City Marina is one of the best managed, cleanest and regulation-free marinas I've ever been in. Liveaboards were welcome and it is convenient to downtown.
    As for beaches, I don't know; don't go. We live aboard a boat 24/7/365 and can't see the slightest attraction to sand at the water's edge. With a nice dink, there are miles and miles of inland waters and rivers to explore and one can even go from marina to very close to the market by boat. Fishing, onshore or off, is pretty good there and during the season you can catch all the fresh shrimp you want right in the harbor. Virtually across the street from the City Marina is MUSC, a fine medical facility.
    SC also has very reasonable vessel taxation.