Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Going to be in Fort Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Gareth, Feb 13, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gareth

Gareth New Member

For a week, I used to be a sailboat captain many years ago. I've watched my kids grow up and my marriage explode. I now mostly make my living doing deliveries, and teaching sailing.

My deliveries are all Caribbean, New England and back with a few transats thrown in for good measure.

In a couple of year my son will be in college and I'd love to skipper a boat again, it seems Fort Lauderdale would be a good place to look. This time around I'll just be getting a feel for it. I'm pushing 60 but reasonably fit. However I'd not be averse to a wheelhouse and a couple of big diesels, and don't need to hang on to the sailing thing (not actually true, but I'd continue to sail for fun).

My question is where to look, I'm not asking for specific crew agency recommendations ( a PM might be appropriate though). When I was in Lauderdale, lo these many years ago, Chucks steak house was the place to be, I'm sure (and hope) that's no longer the case.

There was also a coffee shop in a little strip mall on 17th street, maybe coffee shops are more my speed now.

Does the uniform place in Palm Beach (got a case of temporary CRS over the name) still have it's magic notice board? I was thinking of dropping by Hall of Fame Marina and a couple of the yards.

I'd like to run a boat on my own, with at the most temporary crew.

I'm a Brit' with a green card, I have a 6 Pack (Jones act and all that). I have an RYA Ocean Yachtmaster "Professional" which I understand includes STCW.

Just want to get a feel for this, I do O.K. at deliveries, and have contacts there, but really want a job on a boat that stays in the U.S. (I might even contravene the ethos on the "family on board' thread, with the owners approval).

Cheers in advance.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye mate, I can see yer wantin for a delivery now and then.

Things were cooking a few years ago here in Ft. Lauderdale.
    Lately I have not seen much action in the delivery market:
    Sailboat prices are in a free-fall and the buyers are few and far between.

Same with small/medium power yachts. (30 to 50)

Perhaps the mega-yacht crowd are immune to market economics and their
    world is thriwing..? If so, hats off to them.

My phone stopped ringing 2 years ago.
    Back then I did plenty local deliveries and a few broker deals as well as inspections and recommedations for out-of-towners.

These days I have 1 Tayana 37 listed for a bargain price...85 to 50 to 45 to 40 with an offer for 28...:(

Not a good time to go back to business..
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Hmmm

After 20 years of deliveries based out of Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't be busier. 8-10 sping - 8-10 fall eastern shuffles, plus owner instruction and trips to Bahamas and Caribbean... the work is out there. You just have to have a stable of owners and brokers cultivated to keep working. It's all about reputation. The delivery captain/broker relationship is symbiotic. Not what you know, but who you know. The delivery business is a tough nut to crack and maintain a sustainable income unless you really work at it. Best of luck to ya, mate.:cool:
  4. Gareth

Gareth New Member

I'm actually as busy as I want to be with deliveries, got a St T to Newport coming up, followed by a Transat followed by a post Bermuda race.

I was wanting to kick tires on a one boat job.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Good for you mate.
    My side of town have dried up, plenty empty docks up and down the canal.
    Boat insurance in Florida have gone up so much after the hurricanes that some folks have moved the boats North.

I was hooked up with the Pacific Seacraft dealer, but those guys filed for chapter 11. :(

Glad to hear there is some action in the delivery/captain market.
    I went back to flying instead, there is a real pilot shortage out there and a good time to make some money before the next round of bankruptcies and furloughs.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, I too am based in Fort Lauderdale and have been completely swamped with deliveries the last five years. In fact I'm leaving in a few days for Chicago. One week in March I subbed out 4 different Captains for 4 different trips on 4 different boats while I was busy running another one.