Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Perko

Global Warming & rising sea level

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by OutMyWindow, Aug 18, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Absolutely correct. Googling 'carbon credits' is very instructive for this scam. They don't work.

I think one of the top keys to cutting emissions is getting Asia to go forward with programs to that effect. One program I saw was an American inventor who has adapted EFI to two-stroke motors which are used extensively in developing countries to power those small 'taxis'. It has been very effective in reducing emissions and putting money back in the pockets of the drivers. The program puts the kit on with a payback system at a steep discount. Once it's paid for, the drivers can pocket their fuel savings money.

I know that's a small thing, but it's a workable solution to that part of air pollution. And it helps so many people!! :)
  2. Travelingman26

Travelingman26 New Member

I can't believe it. I decided to surf around one of my favorite sites and what do I find? Fools (yes, fools), that spout rubbish about "global warming" and "rising sea levels"! I guess they're all over. The folks either didn't pay attention in school (physics), or are morons, or worse yet, belong to the "Politically Correct 'group of Idiots' ", fostered by a delusional liberal minority which holds forth the preposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!
    Think about it, then do the following: 1.) Put ice cubes in a bowl. 2.) Fill the bowl to the brim with water. 3.) Wait for the ice to melt. = OBSERVE what happens! Relate THAT to the REAL world. -Travelingman26
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Alright, the ice will melt if it is warm enough. What is the sensation..?
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Uh, let's try that another way.

Take all the cubes from an ice tray and put them in a bowl on the counter.

Fill a another bowl to the rim with water.

Add the melt water from the ice cube bowl to the first bowl.

Observe the results.

Sort of like adding the water that has been locked up well above sea level in glaciers and icepacks for a few thousand years ain't it?

Mop up the floor.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Or put it all in the freezer and you will see where we are heading next. We are in an interglacial period right now...

BTW, here are the last ten years figures from RSS, starting with the 1998 El Nino and then pretty flat. This year had more cooling in the southern hemisphere than the northern.

Attached Files:

• RSS.jpg
      RSS.jpg
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  6. catmando

catmando Senior Member

If you have to resort to name-calling you're leading from a weak position. Find an article that asserts the Arctic sea levels are rising from melt-ice. Then we can have a discussion.
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Throw Sicence into the Toilet Bowl?

I got a little confused here and thought he was experimenting with his 'toilet bowl'...which is just about the position he should take up calling everyone else a 'group of idiots', and delusional liberals.:rolleyes:

Wonder what political party he belongs to...maybe along with all those Bush'es that sought to re-write all those scientific papers from the past
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Find an article that asserts the Arctic sea levels are rising from melt-ice. Then we can have a discussion."

Just Google "sea level rise ice melt" and several thousand will come up. NOt just Arctic though, water tends to find its own level as they say.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Most of the rising of the sea level in the past century is from the oceans getting warmer and expanding. The last decade the oceans are a little colder again. The ice that melts in the polar areas are often finding it´s way back as snowfall. So far very little of the rising sea levels can be attributed to AGW. The alarms are still just computer models, programmed for possible future scenarios...
  10. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Lars is right, seawater rises as it expands, but that's not the only factor the scientists see. If an ice cube melts in a beaker of water, the water does of course rise, but there has not been significant rise in the Arctic Sea from pack ice melt. Scientists are much more concerned about the Greenland glaciers which are moving faster to the sea than they ever have. If all of Greenland's glaciers melted, sea levels around the world would rise 21 feet.

When we see the huge Antarctic glaciers calving(one chunk was a big as Rhode Island), the alarm raises further. The South Sea Islands are already sinking from the rising sea level there. If all the Antarctic glaciers melted, sea levels would rise another 215 feet.

Scientists don't expect either of those melts to happen for another thousand years, but global warming could accelerate those changes.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hmm, ice cubes in whatever will not change the level when melting. Same as sea ice. Only land based ice can add to the sea level. There are glaciers melting and there are glaciers that are growing, rain in the polar areas are usually snow, even in the summer. The melting is from warmer sea water circulation.

This is the first time I have heard about South Sea Islands sinking? I have only heard about rising coral islands so far. The sinking islands I have heard about was just in a fiction movie.

But everywhere the sea levels have been both much higher and lower in the past so building new hotel resorts on islands that are not higher than me over the sea, is certainly taking a risk...
  12. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

AMG
    Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps the information for a broader perspective with some credibility. Although, being government funded they'll have to be circumspect.
  15. yotphix

yotphix New Member

Hmm, ice cubes in whatever will not change the level when melting.

No...but the incredible volume of large yachts being launched these days might!:D
  16. catmando

catmando Senior Member

What about the Antarctic melt? Are volcanos responsible for that? Greenland? Iceland?
  17. brian eiland

Global Warming....not here

:eek:
    This was a rather 'chilly message' I just received :cool:

Attached Files:

18. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

19. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

20. brian eiland

I recall seeing them previously myself. But I thought they elicited such a 'cold feeling' I couldn't resist posting them here :cool: