Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross

Glacier Bay Catamarans

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by HKT Horizon, Aug 24, 2007.

1. HKT Horizon

HKT Horizon New Member

Hi All,

I've been looking at power cats recently and have been looking at Glacier Bay as I think aesthetically they look good and it seems like they are also very serious and well built boats.

Any of you out there that have had experience or know about the company and their boats? Would appreciate your input or thoughts about it. Thanks.

Their website is www.glacierbaycats.com
  2. catmando

catmando Senior Member

They're heavier than the rest of their breed and so fuel mileage will not match the others. The ride might be better though. I think there are about five different builders so my suggestion is test as many of them as you can.

My view is there are very few situations in which multihulls are not superior to monohulls. You're on the right track for sure. :)
  3. HKT Horizon

HKT Horizon New Member

Catmando,

Thanks for your reply on the subject. Actually I'm considering to take on their dealership here in SE Asia that's why I've been looking into them. Cats are not very popular here in SE Asia as people usually just think they are ugly and more for commercial purposes only. I think it may be a good time for me to introduce it to the market here. Sailing cats are accepted here but power cats are still foreign to most people.

If I go ahead with this then I'll probably order the Glacier Bay 2270 which is 22 feet with a cuddy cabin. It will be more for myself to zip around with and as a first boat around for show and trials.

Feel free to share whatever ideas or knowledge you may have. Thanks.
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

5. jakeh

jakeh New Member

resale on power cats

Glacier Bay makes a nice boat, but you should take a look at the resale compared to mono hulls of the same length. Power cats are very expensive and take a huge hit on resale due to limited demand in the used boat market. Do not know if this applies to where you are located.
  6. HKT Horizon

HKT Horizon New Member

Thanks for your replies.

We have dealers for Fountaine Pajot here in the region but so far most of the boats that have come in are mostly sailing cats. I think there is one power cat from Fountaine Pajot here and if I remember correctly one Lagoon power as well.

Power cats are not that popular to begin with here so there's not much of a used market for them to begin with. I just think it may be a good time to start introducing it now to get a start on things. The boating industry isn't anywhere close to what it's like over in the US or Europe but I believe the growth will be very significant over the long term.

Thanks for the input and keep them coming if there's anymore.
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Though not nearly so well known as Glacier Bay, the Prowler cats also have something of a following in the US. Hard core fishing boats though, do not lean toward cruising like GB -

http://www.renaissancecats.com/

Kelly
  8. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Glacier Bay Catamarans out of business?

Seen three of there boats at a liquidator in Seattle. They also had rooms filled with misc. boat parts from Glacier Bay Catamarans. Went to Glacier Bay web site and they are having a factory sale with the bank helping out with offers on boats that are in dealer stock.

Quote from there website
    We are responsible for helping the banks and dealers liquidate all current inventory boats

Any one know more details?
  9. Manny

Manny Senior Member

A friend of mine has a Glacier Bay 20-something as a tender. I've never been on any other boat between 20 to 30 ft that navigates as good as that one. It has my vote.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Kinda surprised to read this. Glacier Bay busted open the multi-hull segment for sport utility boat buyers who had more sense than dollars. Wait, I take that back. They were just as expensive as everything else. Anyhow... stable, fuel efficient, tracked well, decent quality and ergonomically somewhat correct... for a boat missing a V.

Might be a case of trying to expand a line too fast, while the demand wasn't keeping up? It seems Glaciers really are melting... and the deep-V is deep seeded.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've found that the catamarans do very well in moderate seas. BUT, when the weather kicks up and the waves are large enough to hit the center hull, they are a downright nightmare. When it's rough and you plow into a large wave, it hits the center hull and the catamarans feel like you hit a brick wall, come to almost an immediate stop, and you almost fall on the floor if you're not really holding on.

I also was on one with inboards and after loosing 1 engine all the boat would do is go in circles and you could not go straight or any resemblance of straight on a single engine. I do not know if the outboard ones have the same issue, or being able to turn the motor/prop is enough for the boat to go straight considering the motor is so far off of centerline.
  12. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Well, maybe I wouldnt know about really bad seas. I just know that, like you said, in moderate seas it goes well.

now that I think about it, I was going with my friend on his glacier bay and a single rogue wave hit us, and I must say the hit was VERY unpleasant. it was like you said, like hitting a brick wall.
  13. captain_jack

captain_jack New Member

They're done.
    I have worked in the area for a number of years, I used to have a workshop directly behind thier old facility.
    I recently attended the final sale of thier tools and office equipment.
    There is no more Glacier Bay. :(

Its too bad, because they did make a fine quality boat.
  14. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Thats is to bad.
    I have driven by there building in Monroe, Washington and it was a good size location. Seems likes there is alot of buildings for lease (vacant) in that area. Real scary, with this economy whos next?
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

This is also on their website.

Our goal is to eliminate field inventory especially while the banks feel compelled to contribute to make the deal. Once the support funds are used, then the discounts are gone.

I guess this means when this period of giving "discounts" there will then be a time when any offers will be accepted to clear these boats
  16. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I think its just a sign of the economic times...lots of boating businesses going out of business. Boat manufacturing has always been a cash starved business anyway, so a few bad months and no banking resources...boom
  17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Interesting variation on 'single engined multihull'
    Aspen Power Catamarans

After considering many designs, the team settled on a completely new hull design and drive system that can be described as a "single diesel power proa." While identical in profile, the hulls are very different in plain view, with one hull 35 percent thininer than the other. Additionally, the design utilizes only one engine, shaft, prop and keel. The design's non-symmetrical or asymmetrical hulls are shaped to compensate for the engine torque. Since both forces are proportional to speed and thrust, the boat runs straight. We call this the SeaGlider system.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I can see how that would work in a tank test, but I can't believe it would work in real life where the forces on each hull would change second to second.
  19. Brian@EBM

Brian@EBM New Member

i-90 Marine Center was the local Glacier Bay dealer. They went under before the beginning of the year iirc. They had a dealer slip at our marina....

I have heard great things about the boats, very nice ride from the multiple owners we have......
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

NYCAP- I suggest you make some enquiries as to just what forces and sea conditions can be attained and simulated in a modern Test Tank.

It can be run to simulate a swimming pool or the roughest sea conditions you will experience.