Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Perko

Getting the washing machine out of 450 voyager.

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Monepit, Sep 28, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monepit

Monepit Member

Has anyone with a 450 voyager withe washer and drier side by side in the master ever tried to get them out. I have studied it and it just dosnt look fun.. They won't slide out without removing all the trim and I don't want to destroy my beautiful cherry trim. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sawzall with a bunch of good metal cutting blades, heavy gloves, goggles and a good shop-vac.
    You didn't ask how to get a new one in....
  3. Monepit

Monepit Member

Not gonna destroy the old one. It still works fine and has had very little use. Just need to replace a sticky valve. Have you done it?
  4. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Long Island NY summer Pompano Beach FL winter
    Monepit,

I Did the install in my 450 of a combo vented unit. If you have separates all the 1/2 round trim and both sliding doors may have to be removed.

I Had to remove the 1/2 round trim on the top and forward side of the opening by drilling out the wood plugs to access the screws. Remove the screws and remove the entire pieces of trim. Slightly bend the sliding door and remove the complete door. Remove any machine hold downs. Slowly slide machine out to see if you can disconnect the hot and cold water supply (after you find and turn off the water supply) and the dryer vent (if it is the vented unit). To remove the machines from the state room, the sliding entry door trim (inside and outside) must be removed so the machine will fit through the opening. Reinstall entry trim. Reinstall machine space sliding door. Reinstall 1/2 round trim pieces with screws. Install new wood plugs and refinish plugs.

If access to rear of machine is not possible by sliding out, access can be had through access way under galley sink.

Galley sink access. Remove your stuff from under galley sink. Remove under sink cabinet door (1/2 hinge removal). Remove under sink shelf complete with wooden support. Lift out floor panel. Lift and slide toward stern the floor screen assembly. Shimmy down in space between the 2 a/c units to see back of machine for hose and vent removal. While there remove and clean a/c filters and check all seawater cooling and condensate drains for leaks. Also on the hull (behind you if you are down there) there is a round a/c manifold for the seawater discharge of all 4 a/c units. Check it for leaks and repair as necessary. The hot and cold water supply valves for the washer may be in this space also, mine are. You will also have a washer drain hose that finds its way to the Grey water tank under the floor in front of the washer dryer. Remove hose and plug the port in tank. (I'm assuming you are not replacing the washer here).

Once you work your way out and reverse the procedure for under galley shelf and door removal and the machine is out take 1 vicoden with a vodka chaser so you will be able to straighten yourself out. (don't ask how I know)

Good luck
    Rich
  5. Monepit

Monepit Member

Thanks rich that's about what I thought. I think I wiki cut the trim at the top and bottom of the door so I don't have th remove it all. On mine the top and bottom trim are on top of the vertical trim that has to be removed. I want to make it easier next time. I'm just removing the washer for service. It works fine but it uses about 200 gallons of water to do a load. As it's filling and running water is always slowly running in the grey water tank. There must be a valve in there that is not closing all the way. I can't figure it out until I remove it. A combo unit would be nice and I would gain storage space but my unit is 19 inches deep and the new one is 23. Mt stateroom door is only 21 so I don't see that happening.
  6. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Monepit,

Before you take things apart, look for a vented loop in the drain hose where it runs through the space under the galley sink. I had the same problem with the water siphoning out all the time and mine had lint clogging the vent. My water drain hose enters that space from the washer and raises upward to the vented loop and back down to the Grey water tank. If the vent is clogged the water siphons out the drain hose. The vented loops are called vacuum breaks in some circles.

Also I had thought that with a router I could take down the width overhang of the 1/2 round trim pieces around the washer opening to make room for the machine to pass. May work for you.

Rich
  7. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

8. Monepit

Monepit Member

Thank you rcoff512. You may have saved me a lot of work. That's why I love this forum. I saw a friends 450 and he had an access door for the back of the washer in the engine room. It was great. So I cut one in mine. I thought the hose wasn't looped up but it was. I never thought about a vented loop. It defiantly didn't have one at all. That's probably the problem. I'll cut one in and see if that helps. It makes sence. Thanks a whole lot.
  9. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Monepit,

Glad to help and hope that is the problem. If you could, I'd like to see a photo of the access door from the engine room. That would make my life easier for cleaning my dryer exhaust. Wouldn't need the vicoden and vodka.

Rich
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, another Tabby & Hooch guy. Brothers a-far. The pains endured to work on our own ships in narrow time windows.
    ,rc
    rcoff512 likes this.
  11. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Rcrapps

At 6'2" 220lbs and 63 yoa. I don't fold or spindle I only mutilate.
    V&V as I call it makes me very flexible.

Rich
  12. Monepit

Monepit Member

Unfortunately the access door only gets to the washer. My drier has access as you said under the kitchen sink.they are 2 separate compartments.
  13. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Monepit,

I would appreciate the photo, as mine is a combo unit and my dryer vent is out of the washer. Just want an idea where the cut etc.

Thanks
    Rich
  14. rcoff512

rcoff512 Member

Monepit,

I cut the access hole from the engine room. What a great thing..... I can now clean the dryer vent in the combo unit easily.

Thanks for the info about this. I love this site.

Rich
  15. Monepit

Monepit Member

Well I installed the vented loop today. Worked perfect. No more 150 gallons of water to do wash. More like ten. Thank you so much for all the help. I love this site and the help people give. Amazing, the boat is a 1999. Apparently the washer has hardly ever been used and no one tried to figure the problem.
    rcoff512 likes this.