Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Getting started as a Yacht Engineer

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by dids614, Mar 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dids614

dids614 New Member

Hi everyone, i'm a 32year old Plumber/Heating Engineer (7 Years experience) from the UK.

Just need pointing in the right direction as far as becoming a yacht engineer. And wether age would be a factor. I'm free as a bird an travelled a fair bit so far. I was in the Army 10 years ago as a Port Operator based at Marchwood where i gained my STCW95 Basic Sea Survival course.

I qualified as a personal trainer last year an met someone on the course who worked on yachts an sold it to me! After speaking to my freind, reading and searching the internet decided to try my luck. I know there is never a short cut to any job so i'm prepared for hard graft, long hours and working my way up from the bottom.

All i would like to know is what would be the best tickets to get me that elusive first job, i assume i'll need STCW Basic Safety Training (although i'm not sure if i'll need to retake this?) ENG1, RYA Powerboat level 2, and MCA Approved Engine Course as a minimum. I'm also a keen wakeboarder and kitesurfer and qualified PADI advanced diver.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. valmacmiami

valmacmiami New Member

I would start by doing an AEC this is a very basic course but it gets you started you will probably have to work as a decky /engineer on a smaller boat first
    but if you make it known that you are handy and interested in engineering you
    stand a better chance of getting hired if you have your paper from you apprenticeship the MCA will reduce you sea time the next thing you should start doing is the y4 modules

the first boat will be the hardest one but there are jobs out there

in fact I saw this yesterday
    We are currently looking for a 3rd engineer/deckhand for a 50m+ Charter M/Y. Ideal candidates will have an engineering background and possibly an AEC. Permanent position. Cruising Med & Caribbean. Salary to be discussed with Captain. If interested please email through an updated copy of your CV with references to e-mail deleted

good luck mate