Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Genset problem

Discussion in 'Generators' started by doorpro, Oct 11, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Well......read up on the manuals....these are "electric plants" just a little different than mains..but....what do I know in comparison to the great"KIWI"
    No insult intended...just a "twist" pf humour ....
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

No insult taken, except for the fact you mis spelled my name. :)

If you would be so kind as to post the details of the particular genset you say has this unusual operational requirement I would be happy to read the manual, if I can find it online.

Until then it's a bit difficult to know which manuals to start reading up on.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would agree, the first thing I would check would be fuel filter, next would be the stop solenoid.......

However, if you are not mechanically inclined to follow the owners manual or have any doubt. I would highly suggest calling a mechanic, as it would be money well spent.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Wait a minute, you were the one who said "... so the book says" so it is not unreasonable for someone to ask what book for what genset. Don't come back with a snide retort like that "what do I know in comparison" comment.

If you claim a source in a technical discussion you had better be prepared to provide it. And insulting someone (it was an insulting response - K1W1 is far too generous) instead of providing a source to backup your direct claim of a "book" reference just doesn't cut it. On top of that, your "well, read up on the manuals" response sure looks like a smokescreen to me. Do you have that "book" or not? Do you know which generator or not? If not then why on earth would you go online and post a response that did nothing other than provide misleading or outright false information? Just to get your name in print?
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't want to question your navigating skills, especially since I know you've made the trip a few time, but are you sure about that direction?:rolleyes: I'd probably pass you along the way (leaving Monday), but I'm heading south.;) Safe passage.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, but aren't you guys in the part of the country where they say "down east?"

Do people in Maine go "up west" or "out south" when they travel?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not from that far north! Those people swim in 50* water and call it warm.:eek: 'Down east' is the coast of Maine. The don't go 'up west' from there much without a chainsaw or a riffle. Around here we go 'up west' or more precisely "upisland" when going to the city (basically anyplace west of me 'til you hit NJ. I'm an east-ender). We go 'out west' when heading for the left coast, but we still go 'down south' when heading for Florida unless we want to go the long way.:D I rememmber the days when you needed a translator and dietician when you got south of Norfolk. Times are a'changin'.:(
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

When the 3 basic food groups are salt, grease, and beer you don't need no high falootin' dietician!
  9. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Now *THAT* was funny!
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

NYCAP, go ahead and question my navigation skills, i question myself all the time! I find it's the best way to be safe... once you take something for granted, you get in trouble... :)

i'm flying up to ACK (I'm in transit in BOS right now)... that's what i meant by heading north. and the 38deg forecast is obviously a low. still traumatic since i just spent the week end partying on biscayne bay (columbus day regatta) in 90+ weather.

where are you heading? i'm taking it easy as usual, the boat can't be south of cumberland GA before Nov 1st anyway (insurance).
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

O.K. so I am chastised,

Onan MKAD 20 KW...Run Sequence as follows,

During the crank and run sequence, the start sw. must be held in until the genset reaches approx 70 mVolts ac.
    Then the AVR aux, contacts close etc etc etc, then K8 N.O. relay contacts feed the K7 fuel rack solonoid.

Not sure what gen set he has but my suggestion has as much validity as any other that was posted.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We're heading for Boynton Beach. At first his insurance company balked, but they ended up just raising his deductable for named & numbered storms so we're heading straight through. I'll look for you along the way.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. It's interesting as I personally have never come across output as a start permissive before.

No question but that is true given the information you provided. Thanks for supplying information to support the suggestion.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yeah, we have a higher deductible for named storms between Nov 1st and nov 15th but cannot get south of Cumberland before Nov 1st anyway... i dont' mind taking it slow and easy anyway...
  15. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Generator start issues update

Further to my post re, Onan start procedures, I just read up on my Kohler 20KW
    set as well, and it also requires ac voltage production before allowing full run condition. Just thought I would post the info...
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I dunno Dennis, doesn't look like you put much thought into where you posted this. Seems like a technical question to me. :rolleyes:

The thread is being merged with the original thread and moved to the technical forum.
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Ed, when will you be getting down here? Staying for FLIBS?
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yes, some Kohlers with the digital controller will start but not continue to run after releasing the switch if there is no output. It should start and run as long as the start switch is held on though.

This is not really relevant to the OP's situation, his runs, it just doesn't seem to have the insta-start feature anymore.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Dennismc- Do you know if any of these gensets you have the manuals for are the type where the Alternator and Starter are the same thing by this I mean there is no separate Starter, the alternator cranks up the engine to a certain speed and then the engine starts,takes over and it turns into an alternator.
  20. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

No, these are not induction start, each has their own 12 V dc starter.