Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

Generators

Discussion in 'Generators' started by NEO56, Oct 22, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I came across this article in my weekly Marlin magazine newsletter, and found it to be informative, would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.marlinmag.com/fishing-bo...2&spJobID=421751080&spReportId=NDIxNzUxMDgwS0

Excerpt from the article, this goes back to my thread on Technology in the Marine industry...
    "With all the advancements in engine systems and electronic-output controls, the one area still lacking from manufacturers is a sound shield hush-box system that is easy to remove, assembled with service panels that can be quickly disassembled and reassembled, along with an insulation that does not slowly disintegrate into tiny bits of waste. Some current hush-box configurations resemble a child’s attempt with an incomplete erector set: just too many bolts, poorly placed panels that do not allow easy visual inspection on a daily basis, poor quality pot-metal fasteners and insulation that does not hold up under high heat conditions."

Note to Administration: If this is a copy right violation, please remove this thread.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Wonder why there is a Tech Thread? o_O

http://www.yachtforums.com/index.php?forums/technical-discussion.5/
  3. NEO56

NEO56 Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on the engine they use. The generators still need openings for intake air etc. BUT, a lot of it depends on the motor they use. I took care of one boat with a Northern lights 16kw circa 2001. That thing had NO enclosure and it was very quiet when running. It just was a low purrrrrr. The newer Onan's are pretty good and quiet also.

The newer Westerbeke enclosures with the rubber pull latches are an abortion. The rubber pull latches keep breaking all over the place and are like $9 each and there's about 30 of them, and then once you take the box apart, you can never seem to get all of the panels lined up right.....
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The sound shield we have of the two Northern lights 20s onboard the boat I run have quick release latches and takes second to open up. Same with the norpro 18 I have on my hatt

Sounds like a lot of noise for nothing, typical of many publications
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I worked on one boat that had a pipe frame over the gen set with a heavy ( lead lined? ) curtain draped over it. Either roll it up or flip it over the top and everything was in reach. You could even lean on the pipe frame.
    Old Isuzu engine with a Stamford end. Made a racket and then the curtains worked great when in place.