Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Generator Raw Water Impellar

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Funscape, Apr 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe it. But the key word was that you used it every weekend. Most of the time I've had to replace generator impellors from picking up a plastic bag, or just lack of use. Usually you'll always ending up frying an impellor at startup, from the impellor taking a set and then ripping a few vanes off when started. I've never seen a generator impellor go bad while it's running unless a bag or something has blocked water flow.
  2. seajewel

seajewel New Member

I am wondering if I am having the same problem

I just bought my Carver 33SS in December -- I usually run the generator every week-end..... However -- the generator turns off after a few seconds -- the strainer is clean -- I noticed that there is not much water coming out of the exhaust!! HELP!
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Do you know what the temp gets to before it stops?

The impeller could be goosed, there could also be some type of blockage in the heat exchanger, the system valves might not be open fully, there could be a build up of salt around where the water injects to the exhaust and the list goes on.

If it is possible remove the outlet hose direct it to a safe direction crank the genset over and be prepared to stop it the instant a gush of water shoots out. If a good squirt doesn't appear then your pump must be suspect.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

probably shuting down due to high coolant temp, check the gauge if you have a set of gauge.

if you dont' have a lot of water coming out, then it's most likely to be the impeller. Check the maintenance records to see when it was changed last, it's easy, you should know how do it and always keep a pare on board.

also, when you pull the impeller, make sure it's not missing any piecesof the vanes, if you can't find all the pieces, then pull the hose on the heat exchanger intake, they're liekly to be there
  5. seajewel

seajewel New Member

I will check on it!! I recognized there were a couple of extra impellars in a bag -- now I know what they look like....Great idea on checking on the records (last owner kept a great list of maintenance stuff)... now I have to figure out what a heat exchanger looks like and where to put those impellars!!
    By the way Pascal and NY CAP 123 -- Thanks for your help way back in Jan ---- your imput was very helpful and right on!!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One thing I would check first before the impellor is water flow into the sea strainer. Make sure your seacock works, and close it, take the lid off of the sea strainer or a hose off of the sea strainer, open the seacock and make sure you have sufficient water flow through the thru-hull and not a bag or something blocking it underneath the boat.

The impellor is easy to check if you pull the coverplate you can easily visually see if all of the blades are there. But if it's a $20 impellor, you might as well just change it. Also don't forget to lightly grease the inside of the raw water pump housing with something like lithium grease before sliding the impellor in. Lightly sand the inside of the cover plate before putting it on. And yeah, you need to find the old pieces.
    I've sometimes hooked a shop vac to the hose going to the heat exchanger and sucked the pieces that way. Follow the hose from the raw water pump and it will take you to the heat exchanger.
  7. seajewel

seajewel New Member

Thank you Capt J!
    I will post a follow up for the great help!
    Thanks again. Its nice to come to this site and get help from knowledgeable people - what a treat!