Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander

Generator Raw Water Impellar

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Funscape, Apr 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

In an ideal world yes, obviously the makers of this boat do not agree, my whole point was that it is very possible that they do not agree.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

No... in a real world. If you had ever been responsible for keeping a marine engine running, it would be blatantly clear to you that Carver made an engineering mistake when they chose to place this pump where it is. There is no comparison to an aquarium here. I can almost guarantee that this is a rubber impellor which, in all likelihood, needs to be replaced often. This will sometimes need to be done when the machinery is still hot and the vessel may even be drifting around in a seaway.

I've watched many of your posts over the past couple of weeks with great amusement. To be quite honest, you seem like a pretty smart kid (perhaps even really smart) who just talks (or types in this case) for the simple pleasure of trying to participate in a conversation. There is no doubt that some of your technical posts have added to the flow of information, so please stick to those until you've actually laid your hands on the piece of machinery (or similar) in question.

I'm not sure where you're headed with your studies, but if you pay close attention here you may learn something and even prevent yourself from becoming the kind of engineer who placed this water pump in such an inaccessible place.
  3. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I study Biology, I see the worst engineering imaginable, pathways that zig zag back and forth and awkwardly reach when a simple straight foreward approach would simplify things so greatly, I'm quite used to and comfortable with seeing things done in exactly the wrong way (our retinas for instance, are backwards, its like spending thousands of dollars extra to buy the very best camera available, then smearing it with petroleum jelly).

This is not a big boat, and I would imagine that it would have a battery on it, can it run with out the genny for a ways? Granted you cannot cook or watch TV or even read a book at night, but I would imagine that loosing the generator wouldn't leave you stranded (if so then that's the big design flaw), you can go for a while while the genny cools down and then reach over a warm piece of equipment to fix it. I'm sure that had they left enough room for the impeller to be reachable that people would complain about the genny sticking out into the space, and how cramped it was. Euclidean geometry sucks.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, that about sums it up. Wrong on both counts. If the drift of the responses to your posts in this thread are still beyond your comprehension, let me put it to you very bluntly ... you are in over your head.

You are writing about something you have demonstrated very well that you have no experience or knowledge and are just being argumentative. In any event your attempts to cover your butt are just making your posts look even more ridiculous.

I suggest you just lurk for a while and try to learn from the very experienced folk here who have experience and knowledge of the machinery under discussion. Go get some hands on experience and some training in the art and science before you try to tell them they are wrong.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

anyone who think that a raw water impeller (rubber style) on a main or genny can last 10 years, has never owned or run a boat...

if you get 4 or 5 years out of an impeller, consider yourself extremely lucky. This will usually happen if the pump is used regularly so that the vanes dont' take a set.

on smaller boats which are hauled out for winter, impellers are usually replaced before launch because they often dont' make it thru another season.

there is no excuse for a genny to be crammed where it can't be serviced and impellers are a serviceable item... And it's not just wear... If you catch a plastic bag on the intake, you can bet that impeller will fry in minutes.

as to the high school aquarium pump, that's irrelevant, it must have a been a different type of pump like a pool/spa pump with hard impeller. these will last 10years or more... In case you missed it, there is a significant difference: they are no self priming and wouldn't work on a boat since the genny is rarely installed below waterline.

that's also why air con pump last longer, they dont' use rubber impeller but have to be installed below WL.

again, NEVER buy a boat where you cant reach maintenance items.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

for the benefit of those who might read this thread adn be willing to learn something, i'll reply to your last post posted as i was replying...

loosing the genny will not leave you stranded (unless you run down the batteries... yes, boats have multiple batteries, not just one). but in most case (decently sized boats) when you loose the genny it's game over and time to head back home unless you have an inverter and can run the boat long enough to the next destination to recharge the batteries... In many locations, in summer, no genny = no air con and considering how so many modern boats have very little ventilation, you can't survive without the genny.

this is why gennies need to be easy to service. Once they've run for a while, and especially after the mains have run, the ER will be very hot and you dont' want to spend a lot of time in there. you really dont' want to have to crawl over hot engines or having to squeeze agaisnt hot blocks or hot manifolds.

reason why some buidlers do this? $$$$ and giving has much living space as possible. living space sells the boats at the boat show, especially to the wifes, who will be the first one to yell "get me off this hot boat" when the genny fail and Mr Hebbynewboater can't get to the impeller at 2am. So they trade off that much need extra foot or ER space for a little more room in the cabin.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I was not being aggressive to you with my posts.

I was merely repeating the point that you seem to want to partake here and reply to everything that comes up whether you have any ideas what the situation of problem actually is.

It's not a race to run up the max number of posts in the shortest time possible.

As suggested by other members here who have a high number of posts you could learn by simply keeping a track of things you find interesting, you do not have to partake of every conversation with drivel just to keep it alive.

Also, I do not think there needs to be any fundamental changes made to the way this site is operated as you have suggested. It works fine for me and a lot of others so if it isn't working for you then there is such a thing as self censorship- Don't log in or browse the place if you don't like what you read or are being told.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Opcn,

Both of the above posts by Ken Bracewell and Marmot accurately sum up the feelings of several more people here, myself included.

It is time to bring this to an end. I encourage you to find another forum, where your knowledge is better suited to the topic.

Please refrain from further posting at YF.
  9. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Marmot, you seem to be forgetting the part where I was right, I.e. it is believable that they built the boat that way, because they did build the boat that way.

In a gear pump there are open spaces that go on a long sweeping arc around the edge of the pump housing and then they are closed on the return by the interface with the other gear, In the jabra system there are open spaces that go on a long sweeping arc around the edge of the pump housing and are closed on the return by the interface with the constricted wall of the housing, they work on the exact same principle and the gear pump came first, so I'm going to have to stick with my assertion that the jabra system is a mimic of the gear system.

I never argued that it was superior from a maintanence stand point, just that it was believable. You stop putting words in my mouth and instantly I stop being wrong, so stop putting words in my mouth. Thats a technique that can be used to make anyone wrong, inspite of how right they might be.

If someone wants to prove that all production boats use the jabra system for generators and have the same drawbacks then I will happily conceid the point that no impeller on a generator will last a decade.

@Pascal, as for the trip being over that is a cost (not as large as being stranded) that I'm sure went through the cost benefit analysis. The point being that the costs nd benefits are comperable, and that some people will choose different paths.
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Thank you.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

WTH is a jabra system???
  12. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

It's what my spellcheck autocorrect Jabsco to for some reason.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  13. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

And yet your autocorrect leaves "conceid" rather than changing it to concede?

You really don't add up.
  14. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

My spell check is squirrelly and shuts its self off, which is why I have so many posts with good spelling in the first half and bad in the second. Would one of the admins please delete my account, there does not seem to be a mechanism for me to do that myself, thanks.
  15. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

Mr Opcn,
    With regard to the membership/posting ratio you brought up: you might note that I have been a registered here close to 3 years and have only managed to rack up 77 posts. AND, I was following the forum long before I actually registered. You have been here barely a month and have managed to rack up 124 posts. As has been pointed out to you in previous posts: here we rather like to think we go for QUALITY over QUANTITY.

Go figure, I have only been a licensed Captain for a little less than 15 years (I got a late start in this business but i truly LOVE it and I truly LIVE it!)) and I have only been around boats since I joined the Marine Corps in the VERY early 70s.

Believe it or not, some see me as an “old salt” from whom some knowledge may be gained. In this forum I still sit back and try to benefit from the collective knowledge those here possess. You might consider doing the same.

It is only too well documented the “pots” you like to stir up with our most revered Engineers on the forum, K1W1 and Marmot, either of whom could clock your esteemed professors in a heartbeat in this particular area. Now you have caused a usually very quiet, but equally esteemed veteran of the forum, Ken Bracewell, to come out of lurking mode and give you a bit of advice. VERY rare for someone to stir this much attention so early in the game.

By the way, the previous posting from “Yacht Forums” came from what us Yachties call “The Boss”. Consider it an order . . .

Amazingly we managed to muddle along here all these years without your input and something tells me we will manage to get along after your departure.

Kindest regards and best of luck to you in your scientific endeavors,
    ROCKY

EDIT: a couple of platitudes;

1) Never approach a dock faster than you are willing to hit a dock.
    I think that one is from Socrates or somebody like that.
    2) Better to keep your mouth closed and appear to be a fool
    than to open your mouth and prove it.
    That one is from Chevy Chase or somebody (just kidding!)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

See- Self Censorship at it's best- Someone please put this poster out of his misery and hit the delete button.

By the way in case you are lurking 10 yrs is 87,600 Hrs, the genset engine unless running on Natural Gas would have been rebuilt at least 8 times if going by std CAT Recommendations, they also ask for the flexible impeller Jabsco Impellers to be checked at 2500 hrs but I have never seen one that could be re used at that life span so check them at 2000 hrs as part of the 250 hr service and again at 2250 then replace at 2500. Doing this I have never had one fail and cause me problems.This time frame is equal to just over 100 days on a large motor yacht or under 200 if you are doing equal cycles between two units and run them in parallel for a while each day.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It is a range of Bluetooth Wireless Headsets for Mobile Phones etc.
  18. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Thats why I asked him to delete my account.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

An impellor would last a lot longer if it is running 24/7 and not stopped for weeks at a time and then re-started etc. This is what kills them, they stay stopped in one spot and some of the vanes get deformed, they then run dry for a few seconds until they prime themselves. I've never seen a generator where the seawater pump was at a heighth below the waterline. Also a partially blocked heat exchanger will also prematurely kill impellors because it's harder for it to prime and the head pressure is much more on the raw water pump. I've never seen a generator impellor last more then 2 years, period.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not that it matters, but I got 4 years/ 1000 hours out of the last impeller on my own Norpro 18... used every week end. It was replaced just to play it safe, barely showed any wear when pulled.