Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross

Generator Output Hunting?

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Ozzie, Oct 18, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Unless I have the models really mixed up there should be two separate board, the controller board and the voltage regulator board. The VR board has 3 pots; stability, which does what it sounds like; volts, which sets the voltage; and volts/Hertz, which sets the cut in and drop out or the frequency at which the regulator quits trying to maintain output as the engine slows down.

I think the same AVR was used across a range of the little units and the controller board is the one that doesn't have any adjustments, just test points.

But then again I could be out in left field and have several makes and models confused.

I would dig out the service manual and my meters if it were mine.The inconsistent symptoms sound like the AVR pots might be dirty or corroded from sitting and the vibration of running again has them acting intermittent. The service manual will tell what output to look for and I would turn each one through its range, return them to the starting point where I found them then follow the manual to nail the adjustment.
  2. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Hello,
    You are correct Marmot, there are Stability, Volts and Hertz pots. And all of them appear to be clean and secure, there is a material painted on the dials to keep them from self-adjusting.

Just below the Kohler plate is a factory sticker that is printed: "NOTICE This generator set has been rewired from its nameplate voltage to:" "62.5hz 220v"
    The hz and voltage are handwritten.

I have no doubt that the service manual would be invaluable, but as we all know the service tech would probably have it resolved by the time I had the manual ordered.

Thanks again