Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Generator failure need help with analysis

Discussion in 'Generators' started by dennismc, Oct 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Had a new Norpro 7 kw genset installed in Feb 2010, ran great for 34 hrs, approx 40 amps load, circuit breaker on the set tripped, the fuse protecting the voltage reg, blew, some smoke emitted from the electrical end,,, shut it down.

Replaced the fuse to the VR, re set the CB, re started,, 90 volts only..shut it down.

Sent the VR to Norpro for analysis, this was in April, still no response except that the VR would not be warranty regardless, They will not come up with a testing procedure so I can have it checked out before doing anything else.

Any ideas, as these people are totally ignoring me, the dealer/installer has same issue with them.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Junk it; sue the company; install an Onan.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Found this on another site:
    " Norpro Generator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product: Norpro Diesel Generator 7KW Navigator Series
    Mfg: Norpro

We purchased our Lagoon 380 in 2008 with a Norpro 7kw genset already installed. The genset had been purchased by previous owner in 2007. The unit worked beautifully as we've traveled the Caribbean over the past 2 years.

Problems started a couple of weeks ago. Started the genset to top off the batteries and had an awful smell and no output. Further examination showed the main stator had burnt. Called Norpro requesting a new stator and were informed they had none, none in the US, and didn't know when or if they would receive any. Also said the genset was no longer made although they still appear on their website.

Have tried to contact the company president numerous times with no response. Service and Parts departments can't tell us more than above info. Is there a problem here

As we all know, things are great until they start breaking. At that time access to parts and good customer service are imperative. In my opinion, Norpro has neither. As it stands we have a good genset with no parts to repair and a company not concerned with after sale issues. Did I mention this unit comes with a 5 year warranty and is one of the big selling points?

My recommendation is to look elsewhere for a genset OR if you already own one, pray nothing breaks."
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This is pretty easy .

As you no doubt already know all things electrical come from the factory filled with smoke.

You have simply had the smoke escape from your machine, get it back in and all will be well again.

If you can't arrange this then I think NYCAP has given you the best advice except for the brand of his suggested replacement.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yeah... Onan? yuck!

I have an 18KW Norpro on my own boat, 8 years old, 3000hrs, great unit. no issues except one voltage regulator along the way and the fact that the installer (not a dealer) messed up the installation and the engine ingested water.. I had to pull the head and replace 3 valves (Isuzu engine), not covered obviously but parts were not a problem.

I believe all their units use Marathon generators, regulators, etc... which are pretty good and parts are easy to get.

i know a few others with Norpro they are very good units, well designed and competitively priced.

I>'m surprised that norpro insnt' helping since they are pretty proud of their warranty. I woudl call them, and tell them that you need help or you will come in person with the burnt regulator at the FTL boat show :)

oh and email them a link to this thread... :)
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Generator

At 34 hrs and less than a year old, junking it is an irresponsible response, as is the Onan suggestion, (that's what I junked)
    The engine is a Yanmar the end is by Sincro out of Italy, will be retaining legal council if not resolved by year end, been suggested that Norpro should take it back and issue refund. Will keep posted.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although I've never had problems with Onan I respect the views posted here. The bottom line though is that I don't waste time with companies that don't honor their warranties and especially those who don't communicate with their customers. Love the idea of visiting them at FLIBS though. Saturday afternoon would probably be a good time to get their attention.:D
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i'll take Lucas over italian electrics... :)

my experience is only with the marathon equipped Norpros. i'd put the pressure on them in the morning with FLIBS being this week end. such a new unit, there is no excuse for such a lack of support. i have to wonder if your dealer doens't have something to do with it.

keep us posted, good luck
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

generator issue

I have been corresponding with Norpro in the early summer, they wanted some checking done on the electrical end, I asked them repeatedly exactly what they want and do they specifically want a marine electrician to do the work. This may seem odd but unless I follow their instructions, any future warranty claims would be voided.
    So far they have not responded, I phoned, left a message requesting info or an email telling me to "get lost" no response, I am in Vancouver so Flibs is out.
    I have emailed the above link to their sales dept. but came back as invalid...

If all else fails I will have the dealer replace the end with a Stamford end which I can purchase myself, the dealer is trying to get results as he is the one technically on the hook for warranty.
    NY CAp is obviously very wealthy as he can just junk new stuff if it don't work right after a month or two, I had to work very hard to get my few dollars so I respect them a little more.
    I do appreciate the help offered so far...
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Generator

Am in correspondence with the Sincro people, thanks K1W1, it's their SK160 end.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, when things start off badly, they usually continue badly. I like Onan's and have never had a major issue with one.

I have seen the new Kohlers have LOSS OF Coolant codes and shutdown when there was no loss of coolant or overheat issue. Parts are uber expensive for them.

I have seen the new Westerbekes fail to shutdown and continue running at 200-600rpms....... And on the older ones have changed several fuel solenoids on the same generator and miscellaneous small parts on others.

I have had a 20k Northern Lights meet an untimely end at 920 hours because the exhaust riser leaked into the motor and had to be rebuilt at 4 years old.

I run a boat with a 20kw Onan that is from 1988, the hour meter stopped recording the hours at 2860hours 5 years ago and it is still running strong with at least 4000 hours on it now. Onan's are not the best, but I'd rather have one of those then a Westerbeke, Kohler or off-brand generator. I have had good luck with a Phazor generator also.

If I had a choice it would probably be northern lights.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Having money (I don't) has nothing to do with it. When a dealer ignores you it's time to play hardball. I once pulled a new car into the dealer's service center and took the plates off. (The situation got rectified). I also once got a free dinner from a car dealer with one of those 'We'll meet or beat anyone's price' gimmicks. Anyone in the business knows how that game is rigged. They literally cursed me out, but paid.