Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Westport

General Information on Riva Superamerica

Discussion in 'Riva Yacht' started by Adam Murguia, Aug 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Hey All!

New member here. I love Riva's and was looking at an entry level boat with size enough to do some entertaining. I'm looking at this boat:

89 Riva Superamerica 50

It looks nice but I'd like to get some general information / reading material on this model and the Man 2848D Diesel engines. Something like an original review or information from owners who have lived with one. I'm having a hard time finding anything. Does anyone have a lead on that?

Thank you!

Adam
  2. Liam

Liam Senior Member

That should be the 50 SuperAmerica HP (High Performance) Equipped with Man 510hp engines.
    Last Super America model build.

If I remember well about twelve SuperAmerica HP have been build build. HP was produced from 1989 till 1993 replaced by the more modern looking Mauro Micheli designed 52 Thalassa.

All the SuperAmerica hulls are a descendant of the 42 launched in 1973. which then became a 45, a 48, 50, 50 Special and the High Performance.
    In total 251 SuperAermica's have been build with a production run which lasted 20 years (1973 to 1993).

When you buy a 50 HP you have the advantage of buying the faster and latest generation of the series.
    Quality is good in all Riva Superamerica very strong boats, rare you see a hairline crack in these boats and gelcoat although not very shiny stays the same for ever.
    They can have surface blistering, osmosis in bottom if left for a certain time in the water (one year plus) and not left to dry properly.

Hull has a very fine entry forward 40 degrees plus and becomes a bit flat bottom aft (medium Vee).
  3. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

This information is GREAT! Thank you. How do you know so much about them? I've been looking online and have had a heck of a time finding info. Very much appreciated.

I think this particular boat must have been pulled in 2016 as it's been painted this year. I can ask questions about that.

I think surface blistering may be something I can take care of if not too severe? I'm looking for a boat I can put some TLC into as long as it's not considered a "fixer upper".

Also, for diesel engines (relatively new here so forgive me), I hear that they will run forever as long as they are well taken care of and maintained (5000+ hours before major refit). By in large is that true? The 1020 hours is higher than some boats I've looked at.

Again, THANK YOU!
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Old diesel engines tended to be pretty conservative in displacement to HP.
    So if treated properly; warming up before load, and always less to 80% of power on cruise can really last forever.
    Still I would suggest an oil analysis on survey, and after that an inspection from a Man technician.
  5. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Great advice, thank you.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually you generally want to see more engine hours in the year range that you're looking at. Diesel engines don't like to sit around and you really want to see 100 hours of usage per year than less.
  7. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Ah, thank you!
  8. pierberio

pierberio New Member

Riva superamerica 50 h.p. was reviewed in UOMO MARE ( a boating magazine published in Italy by Condé Nast) in may 1987.
    Scan0004.jpg Scan0007.jpg Scan0008.jpg Scan0009.jpg

Riva boats were (and are) special boat, we could say without time. The design and finish was (and still are IMHO) of superior quality.
    Riva boats cost - at the time - moreless twice many of their competitors.
    The freebord is indeed lower than today boats, so in the cockpit you are very close to water.

If You need I'm translating (with the aid of Google translator) the text of the magazine article.
  9. pierberio

pierberio New Member

here better photos of the magazine pages: Scan0008 600.jpg Scan0009 600.jpg Scan0010 600.jpg Scan0011 600.jpg
  10. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Oh my goodness! This is brilliant. Much appreciated. I'm driving from Los Angeles to San Diego today to look at the boat. I'll post pictures soon.
  11. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

The translation is appreciated. I don't speak Italian unfortunately. Wish I did. I've been a few times.
  12. pierberio

pierberio New Member

Here the loose translation of the text of the article:

The style of writing of the magazine is a little particular, a little snob we could say, more proper to an architectural or design magazine than a boating or yachting one.. the title Concetto Spaziale eyes to a series of works of a famed Italian (argentinian born) artist of the period: Lucio Fontana.

We have not to forget that Uomo Mare was at the beginning named Uomo Mare Vogue and was published by Condè Nast

""
    In genealogy of Riva boats shape has always been an indispensable complement to success . Since the days of wooden motorboats soft plasticity of curvatures, skilfully joined with balanced elegance, forms an unmistakable character in the panorama of mahogany speedboats of the era.
    Simple conceptions, who send to the Mediterranean mood the general structure of the boat . Superamerica was the founder of this philosophy and has given the mark to all subsequent episodes . The internal spatial concept, the hinge of the brilliant career of the same Superamerica and subsequent generations of cruisers , like the Corsair 60 feet, is the semi-circular descent leads through a cylinder onto which the doors , the rooms below deck of the sleeping area .
    " The Riva boats are born from ' inside' states Giorgio Barilani : " They develop around the idea of the maximum availability of the space . Spaces should be as broad as possible. There must be visual and uninterrupted path continuity , even optically , by planes between the stern and the bow deck " .

That innate predisposition to balance, which was inherent to the character of Carlo Riva, became an imprint of the yard and passed, through the pencil of Giorgio Barilani, responsible for the design of Sarnico yard, in fiberglass production.

The result gives rise to a slender shape, with refined elegance and style, harmonized by an abundance of curved lines that is linked, in a formal stylistic continuity with the tradition of mahogany speedboats .. A sense of unbroken light embraces from the outside that sense of space without diaphragms from stem to stern that is enjoyed from the interior. The summary formula to the outside view is: Hull, light cutting, flying bridge.

The exterior design of Superamerica reflects the Mediterranean concept that inspires him. The lightness of lines is obtained with large continuous glass surfaces, subtly interrupted by thin stainless steel uprights.

Witty in design, but complex in construction, which was only possible thanks to the extraordinary skills of craftsmen Riva, this artifice allowed to materialize in three dimensions very effectively the imperative of the yard space crunch at the same time introducing an inventive element characterization, forever in search of designers and builders, that has managed to remain so for a long time.

The exterior design of Superamerica reflects the Mediterranean concept that inspires him. The lightness of lines is obtained with large continuous glass surfaces, subtly interrupted by thin stainless steel uprights.

A sense of unbroken light embraces from the outside that sense of space without diaphragms from stem to stern that is enjoyed from the interior. The summary formula to the outside view is: Hull, light cutting, flying bridge.

The result gives rise to a slender shape, with refined elegance and style, harmonized by an abundance of curved lines that is linked, in a formal stylistic continuity with the tradition of mahogany speedboats ..

Traditionally in Riva yard each component of the boat, from the windows to the cleats, from the pulpits of the cable outlets, from davits to anchors (in stainless steel) is designed in-house, mainly by Giorgio Barilani

It 'a complex of drawings that maintains a long vitality. Certainly it is dated, but in this case the age - the first appearance of Superamerica dates back to fifteen years ago - adds the charm of maturity, as in beautiful women fascinate more in their thirties than in their twenties years

This design summa, the details continue to exert a suggestion that pleases the eye and satisfies, in the unfolding of the functions and of life on board, the taste of their use.

the cockpit, for example, generous in Mediterranean style, lined with great teak, appropriately lowered, thanks to the free edge content, receives at water level, the party guests in a setting of woods, steels and glass of high impact .

The flying bridge, which devotes to the sundeck an area protected by the volume of the external wheelhouse, welcomes driver and passengers in five anatomical seats, three facing forward and two aft, distributed around the block that doubles as a dry bar.

The instrument panel, together with the steering wheel Riva produced exclusively by Momo, is a half-wraparound monobloc with the essential equipment. All around a line of teak and a windshield that blends perfectly to grab rails underline the vocation of curvilinear design.

The decor, like on all Riva is taken care of by 'architect Carlo Pagani. In the subtle game of exclusivity that Sarnico yard has succeeded set around its boats

The formula is stiff. The owner does not choose, the yard and architect Pagani have already done for him. Each type of boat has its own pattern, its materials, its colors . He does not just have to trust.

Carlo Pagani has contributed decisively to the affirmation of Riva style. He never intervenes with extreme positions, applies brave materials such as briar, but softens them expertly with more classic woods, surrounded by soft colors.

He prepares the environment to the maximum reception reciprocally speaking and completing the play of spaces and soft roundness balances timeless continuing from decades to taste to ship owners around the world.

The Superamerica scheme gives the salon, coplanar to the cockpit, a decisive importance. Great without dispersion, this area offers many functional corners.

On the left the L-shaped sofa turns into a dining area, with the opening of the folding and tipping table.

The use of the back of the pilot's chair, placed in the centerline of the boat, allows to have a third side to sit around the table.

Always to left, already lit by windows in the front of the superstructure, a small table at side performs the dual function of chart table (with radiotelephone) and desk.

To starboard, a continuous line of cabinets includes crockery, strictly branded Riva, of excellent quality and always supplied standard by the yard, including silverware, stowed in a special drawer in leather with anti-vibration compartments, and ends with a love seat serving the mobile bar.

To the forward center of the room, the wheelhouse, technological volume of impressive effectiveness, gives the space a dutiful touch of yachting taste.

Once on the semicircular down in the open, that brings light from the windshield even below deck, before entering the cylinder that distributes the cabins, there is the kitchen, which is lit from above the windshield and aired from its portholes.

Coplanar to the cabins, complete with excellent electrical appliances, this technical space in a tight angle free living space but you do get to with ease and for the elegance of its furniture-kit lets himself be seen with pleasure.

The night zone is set to an owner’s cabin full beam. with its own bathroom with direct access, central double bed and deep closets.

Aft, the distribution cylinder, you enter the guest cabin with bunk beds in L and an underlying closet on the upper bed.

The bathroom with double access, from the cabin and from the cylinder, to serve the needs of the day.

A few beds, some were said, a lot of air, lots of light

The forward of the bow is reserved to the crew cabin, with its own entrance from the deck through a hatch pool, equipped with its own service.

Special to the classic version, powered by twin Cummins 425 HP and capable of 29 knots, was joined by the High Performance version, which features twin MAN engines from 510 HP then cruise to 31 knots with an autonomy of 13 hours instead of 14.

But that little more power to increase the cruising speed. acceleration and noise softening of a boat perfectly at home in Monte Carlo, Cannes, Porto Cervo, Mykonos, Rhodes

or perhaps Santa Barbara, Long Beach (CA), Catalina Island, San Diego .............

Regards.
  13. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Amazing. I can't thank you enough. I did check the boat out today and it was in amazing condition for her age. Here are a few pics. Hope the owner doesn't mind I post a few.

Riva_Superamerica_01.jpg Riva_Superamerica_02.jpg Riva_Superamerica_06.jpg Riva_Superamerica_07.jpg Riva_Superamerica_09.jpg
  14. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Riva_Superamerica_10.jpg Riva_Superamerica_11.jpg Riva_Superamerica_12.jpg Riva_Superamerica_14.jpg Riva_Superamerica_15.jpg
  15. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Riva_Superamerica_16.jpg Riva_Superamerica_17.jpg Riva_Superamerica_22.jpg Riva_Superamerica_23.jpg Riva_Superamerica_24.jpg
  16. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Anyone know if it's possible to get parts for a boat like this? Gauges, switches, lights, motors, etc.?
  17. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Cheers. Appreciated.
  18. Liam

Liam Senior Member

For part I would also check with Monaco Boat Service in Monaco, as well as some of the restorers around Lake Iseo.
  19. Adam Murguia

Adam Murguia New Member

Awesome. Will do thank you.