Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

Garmin no longer making Explorer Bahamas date available?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by motoryachtlover, Feb 7, 2019.

1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Big Changes in Explorer Electronic Data Availability
    February 2019 introduces some changes in the sources of data being used for electronic navigation in the Bahamas. If you have come to rely on the accuracy of the Explorer chart data, this is important information for you. If you are planning a trip to the Bahamas in the near future, you may need to make some changes right now to assure that you go with the best chart data.

One of the recent developments causing a shift is that Garmin has purchased Navionics.

Garmin has announced that its new g3 marine electronics offerings will contain only Navionics data for the Bahamas. With this February 2019 issue, Garmin will no longer make Explorer Bahamas data available to its customers. The g3 will be included in the g3 accessory cards and pre-loaded chart plotters.

The Explorer data is still available on g2 accessory cards (Garmin) and earlier pre-loaded chart plotters which may be in inventory for a few more weeks. Although the release of the new g3 material has already begun, customers desiring Explorer data still have an opportunity to upgrade their g2 cards.

If you haven’t upgraded your Garmin for awhile and don’t have the g2 data, we urge you to call Garmin or visit your marine electronics store to insure that you travel to the Bahamas with the tried and true Explorer chart data.

Other avenues for insuring Explorer-only data is to go with C-Map by Navico products and its affiliates SIMRAD, LOWRANCE, and B&G. Also, chart data through MapMedia, MaxSea, Nobeltec, Standard Horizon, RosePoint Coastal Explorer, and Furuno can be trusted to use Explorer vector and raster information. If you are using RayMarine hardware, please inquire of the company as Explorer data is available but not on all units.

There are also three new apps for phone/tablet that now include Explorer-only raster data. Check out AquaMap, iNavx and C-Map's Embark. Links below:

iTunes App Store

Google Play

AquaMap

AquaMap

iNavX

iNavX

Embark

Embark
  2. motoryachtlover

One I am making an trip to The Bahamas this spring and want to know if I will still have the explorer charts on my old Garmin chart plotter. Two I am planning on a complete electronics redo this summer. Was planning on Garmin but now I don’t Know. I really liked having the Explorer data for the Bahamas. I will try calling Garmin and report back to the forum what they say.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Explorer charts are the only charts to use in the Bahamas, along with Garmin Blue charts but I m not sure if they’re even available.

We spend a lot of time in the Exumas and I could post many side by side Navionics/Explorer excerpts where Navionics is useless and will either run you aground or will prevent you from going somewhere.

Here is one... that’s Pudding Cut at the north end of Great Exuma which lets you get to the bank side.

Explorer on the left accurately shows the shoal and provides the correct recommended route with a dogleg to the west. Navionics on the other hand will run you right over the 5’ shoal. We ve used this Cut for years and i know Explorer is accurate.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019
  4. motoryachtlover

ON the phone with Garmin now trying to figure this all out. As I said in a separate post I am redoing my electronics this summer. If Garmin wont use Explorer data and Furuno does that will probably effect my decision and make me purchase Furuno rather than Garmin.
  5. motoryachtlover

Garmin says they will not be including Explorer data for the Bahamas from this point forward. The G3 charts will have Navionics data and not Explorer. I ordered the SD card for the latest explorer data before the sell out for my trip this year. Pascals post makes me think if I value the explorer data highly (which I do) that my only choice in quality electronics will be Furuno. Does Simrad make quality “stuff”? I do have Aqua Map on my IPAD, I wonder if I could “plug that in” to my new Garmin and get by that way. Please forgive my ignorance with the ins and outs of electronics. Thanks for your time
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Aquamap now uses real Explorer charts. It s great

My experience with Simrad is limited to a smallish touch screen plotter in the tender. The charts are pretty much useless. I m going to call them to see if there are my waybtonget Cmap / Explorer on
    That thing.