Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Fuel system on a Post 56

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Dennis serras, Jan 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That shows you drawing from and returning to the forward tank only. Pull those handles down and you should be using the aft tank. With that boat I wouldn't recommend running off the aft tank only though until you've drawn down the forward tank. There may be a position that will allow you to draw off both tanks at the same time, but it's not indicated. It also doesn't appear that you have the capability to run each motor off a different tank.

Always make sure that both handles point in the same direction or you'll be returning the fuel to the full tank.

You may have a fuel tranfer system some place else. Look for it. If not you stand the risk of doing all your running off the forward tank, leaving the fuel in the aft tank to go stale.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

then
    Looks like you pull them down to draw from the aft tank. There is a little flow arrow on the orange handles?? When that change is made it looks like the port engine runs off the aft, and star remains on the forward. So each engine will be pulling from a different tank. Right now I think both engines draw from the forward. Which tank feeds your genny?
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Do you have the same setup on the Stbd side? What do you have for the genset?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good questions K1W1. Leaves me wondering why I didn't ask them in my post. Just goes to show that you're smarter than I.;)
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

This set up is typical for Posts. I'd be surprised if he has the reversed setup on what looks like it would be the port side? Genset generally draws from the smaller tank to maintain a reserve. Be interested to see what the OP posts?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ok, you just turn both handles (the supply and the return) 180 degrees and you'll be sucking off of the aft tank. Opposite from the handle is where you are drawing from. A lot of modern SF do like to run with the bow tank emptied first, but you may have to experiment with it and see how the running angle is. Another option is to run 1 engine off of the foward and the other engine off of the aft. The valves in the picture are for the Port engine only. Make sure the supply AND the return are pointing to the same tank (same direction).

I am sure there is another set of valves for the stbd engine. The genset may only run off of 1 tank since they use so little fuel anyways.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think the valves handles move 90 degrees to straight down?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No they're a 3 way valve, in the middle is off......even though they aren't labeled as such.

http://www.valvekitz.com/detail.pl?fig=T4T
  10. Dennis serras

Dennis serras New Member

You all are great. I'll look for second set of valves in the morning. I'd prefer each engine would run off its own tank and not transfer fuel if possible. Unless there is something wrong in doing that. Let's say you have to run off one tank at a time , can you switch vales while your running. Yesterday I left Key West in big seas, waves coming over top of boat. Be tough getting down below
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could switch them while underway. How does the boat run as you drain the foward tank down? Most faster SF like to run with the foward tank drained first and some trim tabs to give the stern lift.....but if you get too far, it'll run bow high.......Does the boat have a fuel transfer pump as well?
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

These words are yet another example of the dangerously incompetent advice you hand out while professing to be an unbridled expert in everything

Post 56 Fuel Shut off Valves.jpg

Look at the handles of these valves, there is a very clearly marked flow path, there is also what looks like a stub sticking out that would prevent the turning 180 deg and subsequent closing of the valve removing the fuel supply to the engine which if done underway could have some serious consequences.

A 3 way valve is exactly that, it will have one port open in either position and the other one can be in either of two positions as long as the handles are moved 90 degs between positions.

Beau who originally said to move them down (90 degs) to change the suction and return tanks in service was absolutely correct.

This is what I am sure the valves look like from a different angle.

Kitz 3 way valve.jpeg
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you know how many different types of fuel valves I deal with in a given year? Anyone can get real knowledgable when they are full time on one yacht and have all day to read through the manuals in their little glass office. I didn't take a really good look at the picture to be honest with you, you and Beau are correct. Considering they only turn 90 degrees because of the stops I know see in the photo, it would be impossible to turn them more than that unless you backed the nut holding the handle way off. Perhaps you can go back into the engine room and spray water on your turbo's while they're running and void your CAT engine warranty.

I doubt you've even seen a 56' Post.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

To admit that you gave incorrect advice and to correct another posters supposed error and had not actually looked at the photo being discussed just about says it all.

I will not be water washing my CAT turbos anytime soon although I will be doing my Yanmar 6LY ones when its deemed necessary exactly as described in the manual.

Engineering can be fun and enjoyable if correct procedures are carried out safely. It can be a frustrating nightmare when information is not forthcoming or worse still the information supplied is incorrect - Sometimes when you ask a manufacturer for some tech support they supply info for a different machine entirely.

Folks come to YF seeking answers to questions they have. In this case the OP was asking about how his fuel system works.

Once a photo was posted it became plainly obvious to most observers how the valves were arranged and sound advice was given.

Then along comes you who has done more miles and everything else than anyone else and offers some totally incorrect and misleading information even going as far as to correct a previous poster who had posted the correct information.

The likes of you and I and some others can offer good sound knowledge in our speciality fields regardless of whether we have worked on one of those particular vessels and continue to make YF a great resource for many. By deviating too far and trying to be the Master of all without the supporting knowledge and skill set the quality of the information gets diluted and people don't know what to believe and or rely on.
  15. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

So K1W1, is that "little glass office" air conditioned if so best to stay inside it while our esteemed "expert" changes those pistons at sea with the engines running. LOL
  16. Dennis serras

Dennis serras New Member

Hey guys,
    Someone asked if I have a fuel transfer system. Answer is yes. I'll probably transfer fuel until I get this Rig home. Want to be close to home to figure things out. Taking the Post to Bahamas in February, I better have things figured out by then
    Dennis
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In defense of Capt. J, when I first typed post 21 I thought I was looking at 3 way valves. Then I caught the arrows and corrected myself (couldn't make out the stops in the pic). We all make mistakes. YF is a great resources, but it's still "free" advice from strangers and should be treated as such. A great thing about YF is that when someone gives their best advice based on their experience and it happens to be wrong, there's bound to be someone with more experience coming along soon to correct it. I've been in a lot of yards where I could only wish the mechanic had someone else's opinion there to correct their mess-ups before the boat left the slip.
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We all make mistakes and hope others do correct those mistakes. However, one can do so without being insulting.
  19. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

So just to clarify, you are referring to Capt J insulting people after being corrected ?.

Sometimes a simple "I am sorry I made a mistake" goes a very long way. No need to mention glass offices, water washing turbochargers or questioning if a member has ever seen a certain type of vessel.

NYCAP123 just needs new glasses. Lol
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yachtjocky

Just to clarify I'm not referring to any one person, but to anyone who responds by insulting the other person. And I'm not just referring to this thread. Typically, when that does happen with one person, at least one more will join in the fray.