Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'Engines' started by bamasbear, Jul 5, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bamasbear

bamasbear New Member

just had fuel pump and new heads and cylinder replaced - splashed boat and ran it for 30 minutes on open water and noticed smoke and fuel fumes coming from engine - shut it down and returned to dock - mechanic forgot to tighten hose from the new fuel pump - My question is could that cause any other problems with the engine I did notice oil in water after I restarted and revved engine - any help would be greatly helpful
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Maybe it’s just me but how can you expect intelligent answers if you don’t tell us what kind of engine we are talking about?? Outboard, inboard, gas, diesel....

A loose fuel line could cause all sort of issues including a Big Bang if on a gas engine...

Oil in water? Again what kind of engine??? On an two cycle outboard that s almost normal. On a diesel, could be a bad injector... who knows
  3. bamasbear

bamasbear New Member

Sorry new to boating _ 4.3 volvo pentas on a cruisers yacht gas engine.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 4.3 fuel pump is mounted externally and electric driven. Other than a near fire bomb, this would not cause water in the oil.
    Same mechanic that near blew you up have more issues with the head job.

AND Cylinder (liner) replaced?
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Fuel pump may not cause oil problems, but the new cylinder sure could. A mechanic forgetting to tighten down a fuel hose would have me on the search for a new mechanic. Sounds like there's more story here too if this is a new to the OP boat and he's already done all this and this is the result so far.
    Lesson for OP. talk with people, get recommendations and keep a list of good and bad ( mechanics, fiberglass, electronic guys, etc.) so you don't fall into the wrong hands. They're definitely not all the same or equal.
  6. bamasbear

bamasbear New Member

yes "cylinder head complete" replaced any idea what can cause the oil in the water - could it be from the heads being replaced wrong or bad seal/gasket- would you recommend I get it to another mechanic to check the work - Im concerned with more damage to the new heads or why I had excessive amount of oil behind the engine in the water after he revved the engine - thanks again for your help with this being my first boat that I purchased always used my dads boats - Im a little concerned about what is going on
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Being new you may just not know how to get the best out of your mechanic or understand what or how he's doing. So since you're in this far I'd say give him a shot at getting it right, but keep your eyes and ears open for what he's doing and who might be better. Next time he leaves your boat it should be running flawless. Don't go down a rabbit hole with him.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Just to be clear, when you say oil in the water you are talking about a sheen on the water near the exhaust , correct? You re not talking about having water in the engine oil, resulting in a milky mix. Have you checked the oil to see what it looks like?
  9. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Gas engine, oil in water, it's usually the rings or bore. A rebuilt head should have new valve seals. Gas can leave a sheen, and could be caused by reving the engine with no load.
  10. bamasbear

bamasbear New Member

thanks guys for the advice _ yes it was oil in the lake for sure by the starboard engine after he revved the engine the mechanic said its normal after the engine sucking in air before the fuel pump line was reattached Ill be talking with the mechanic tomorrow and ill try and get more explanation thanks again
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"the mechanic said its normal after the engine sucking in air before the fuel pump line was reattached"
    Was everybody wearing boots when this comment was made?

O K
    Need some history.

How many hours on this gas engine?
    Why were the heads pulled?
    Were the exhaust manifolds and/or risers replaced?
    What Valve stem seals were used during the head service (O rings or umbrella caps)?
    Does the engine preform?
    You mentioned starboard (right) engine; does the performance match the port (left) engine?
    Idles smooth? The 3.8s were shakers, the 4.3s were smooth at idle.

There is NO explanation for oil in the exhaust, in the lake..

Maybe one of the trim cylinders is leaking or was serviced. Residual oil on the equipment or still leaking here??