Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Fuel Efficiency Question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt. G, Jun 22, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. G

Capt. G New Member

Does anyone know if you can gain "mileage" by removing the turbo charger(s) and adjusting the injector pump or replacing the injector tips etc.?

I have a full displacement vessel and do not need the extra power that I have available with the turbo charged Volvo TMD120A engines.

Thanks in advance!

Graham
  2. diesel

diesel New Member

You can turn down your fuel pump to deliver a lower maximum fuel delivery. This will only reduce fuel consumption at or near full load and will lower your maximum RPM under load. Removing the turbo will do nothing. Remember, in a diesel the turbo only pumps in air, not air and fuel. There may be an aneroid on your fuel pump that allows the fuel pump to deliver full fuel once boost has been produced. This essentially reduces black smoke on accelleration. You can disconnect this also which will sort of accoplish what I said in my first sentance. You can disconnect this simply by removing the pressure line from the intake manifold and plugging it. Also keep in mind that any fuel savings from these modifications will be minor and in my opinion, not worth doing.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I knew Diesel would come through with a good answer!