Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

From $2.00 gas to $5.00 gas in 4 years

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Codger, May 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Who would of thought? :rolleyes:

Quebec filling stations fixed prices: watchdog
    Thu Jun 12, 5:17 PM ET
    CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - Canada's competition watchdog said on Thursday 13 people and 11 companies were charged with price-fixing at gasoline stations in Quebec following an investigation that included wiretaps, searches and informants.

The Competition Bureau said a Quebec court imposed C$2 million ($2 million) in fines against three of the companies and one person who pleaded guilty to the conspiracy against a backdrop of sky-high pump prices.
    Criminal charges were laid under competition legislation after the bureau gathered evidence of agreements among station operators to set pump prices .
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Outmywindow.
    In La Belle Province? That bastion of political sanctity and deification. For shame.:D
  3. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Ya really, I grew up in Montreal when the Mayor was Drapaue (not sure about the spelling?), this is going way back now.
    The Gazette kept reporting all the electronic goodies and cars that he kept getting from the Mafia on regular basis, yet I believe he was the longest running Mayor in Montreal's History and the people loved him.

*see also story about overpasses collapsing due to shoddy construction.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I drove the east coast of the US this week. My car requires premium gas, so I was only really paying attention to the price for 93 octane. The most I paid was $4.29 and I found it in NJ for $4.21/gallon.
    I filled my tank in Jersey so I should be good for the remainder of my trip to Rhode Island. I don't think the prices will go down as I drive nearer to more expensive real estate.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

To complete the info I stared to post earlier this week:

I refilled here in Nthn Germany today for €1.48 a litre or USD $8.61 a Gallon.

This makes the fuel cost alone for that journey to be €184.84 or $285
  6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

K1W1: you've done a very cheap trip,
    here in flensburg regular is somewhere around 1.5€, premium somewhere over 1.6€ :)

even diesel is around 1.5€ - this is insane :|
    (i'm working at a gas station by the way, i see those rises every day -.-)
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

"...obstinately refuses to do anything to increase domestic output, instead resorting to show trial hearings with oil executives and threats to tax the energy industry as if it were levying a monetary fine on criminal behavior..."

Wonder if things will ever change?

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=298162929599517
  8. brunick

brunick Senior Member

yeah - but what's with the way of departing from being addicted from oil?

nobody would ever talk about 5$ per gallon :D
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I have no issue with developing alternatives, actually fascinated with some of the evolving technologies. However I do find that the information regarding supply and pricing is pretty one-sided.

There is already a small reaction to the increased pricing in some places.
    I have a couple of webcams up on screens that I've been keeping an eye on and traffic is down. Few of us planning on taking the bikes for a run down I15 in a week or so and there are noticeably fewer motorhomes on the road than this time last year.
    http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/SWFr...layClass=Java&SenType=All&SenStatus=&Camera=1
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

:D I've just been informed, none too gently, that I'm an idiot and that the reason that there is much less traffic right now is that any civilized person is busy watching World Cup. Trying to explain to a Dutchman that most americans don't know what real football is and are therefore not watching the World Cup is beyond his comprehension, and only adds to his conviction that the colonies are still uncivilized.:D
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Dutchman must be confused, it is not the World Cup on right now , that was two years ago. The current tournament is Euro 2008 and Russia have just beaten the reigning champions Greece and they are now eliminated from the contest
  12. brunick

brunick Senior Member

yeah - and germany is almost beaten out -.-

guys: we're getting off topic :rolleyes:
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah yeah Ken, Love that Vince Lombardi rest stop. Last shot at cheap gas. You skipped NY . Out here on the island we're paying $4.29 for 87 and I believe $4.59 for 93. Of course, I'm in the cheap seats. Head out to Southampton and it's $4.69 for 87, and I get a migrane just looking for the 93 price:eek: . You'd have seen your first $100 fill up.
  14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The infinite possibilities for mis-understanding a tanker captain somewhere in Indonesia on a useless sat phone. He's been re-directed twice in the last 72 hours as to where he's going to unload. Guess the spot pricing right now is all over the map.
    Working a trading desk on the oil spot market right now is a younger man's game.
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You sound like a knowledgeable oil guy. With future oil currently higher than spot, i.e., in contango, and the reverse of which is backwardation, who/how/why did those odd-sounding terms come to be anyway?
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Beyond me. There is no shortage of self-important people on this planet that figure that making up big words is the way to go. Maybe just the creations of those that subscribe to the "If you can't dazzle 'em with brains, baffle 'em with bull..."
  17. DDD

DDD New Member

Why so much more

Can someone tell me why the cost of diesel fuel is so much more than gas. I can remember when diesel was so much cheaper. Is it the same in the country you are in ?
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Triple D,

Your post has been moved under an existing topic. In the future, please search for relevant discussions before posting new questions.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I just caught a news article on the BBC that said that Diesel was £1.99 a litre somewhere in Devon , UK.

This works out to $14.78 a US Gallon and $17.72 an Imperial Gallon.

This must be a new record and the blame was laid at the feet of Shell Road Tanker drivers who are on strike this week.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well, that's a lot of bull. Like the oil companies need any excuse beyond raging greed to hilke prices.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.