Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

From $2.00 gas to $5.00 gas in 4 years

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Codger, May 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

You can get real fat, happy and oblivious when you own 50% of the market.
    Now that they're under 20% they're actually waking up.
    The smarter UAW guys put in for jobs at the Toyota plant....
  2. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

"Oshawa Truck Assembly in Canada, which builds the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra, will likely cease production in 2009, while Moraine, Ohio, which builds the Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7x, will end production at the end of the 2010 model run, or sooner, if demand dictates. Janesville, Wisconsin, will cease production of medium-duty trucks by the end of 2009, and of the Tahoe, Suburban and Yukon in 2010, or sooner, if market demand dictates. Chevrolet Kodiak medium-duty truck production will also end in Toluca, Mexico, by the end of this year."

Medium Duty is the Chevrolet Kodiak and its GMC equivalent - GM has been trying to shed the medium duty business to Isuzu for a few years. The TrailBlazer/Envoy/9-7x platform will be 10 years old in 2010, and due to be ended by then (replaced by the "CUV" lineup - Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook), so the Moraine closing is not unexpected. Oshawa has 4 GM plants, the smallest of which was excess light duty truck capacity - GM has three other light duty truck plants building the pickups throughout North America. Similarly, the Janesville Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon capacity in Janesville is excess, with three other plants building those vehicles elsewhere. The primary manufacturing for the big SUVs is now in Arlington, TX, the exclusive build site for the Hybrid versions of those trucks.

The announcement is basically a tightening of a previously vague longer-term timeframe for each of these.

But back to gas prices... hometown station's regular is pushing $4.50; local marina on 05/30/2008 is Diesel $5.09 Gal. 89 Octane Gasoline $4.599 Gal.

They haven't updated the site for this weekend yet.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I've read this entire thread and nobody has asked the question. " When did diesel suddenly start costing more than gasoline?
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Toyota is non-UAW (paying significantly less - though that's made up for a bit in the difference in not taking out union dues and giving excellent benefits for active workers) and there's currently a bit of consternation as Toyota won't unionize, can't be forced to unionize, and won't carry any seniority or benefits over from union jobs. The UAW, similarly, doesn't want to honor seniority, health, or pension plans for people who are no longer paying into the system prior to their retirement age.

Most UAW workers with 10-15 years at GM or Ford or Chrysler would have to put in 25+ years at Toyota to be eligible for the much smaller retirement package that they offer as well.

I'm not sure how many people are putting in for jobs with Toyota, nor how "smart" it is for them to do so.
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That happened when the oil industry realized it cost less to make diesel, but the demand is far less elastic than that for gasoline as the price rises. Goods and commodities need to move, trucks and trains use diesel to move them. Whether or not people switch to smaller cars or stay closer to home, there's still a need for diesel.

The oil co's have diesel consumers over a barrel, no pun intended.
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Seafarer ..Different points of reference

Sorry, should have been more specific. Canadian side of it. Health benefits are not part of the equation. Perhaps "market savvy" would have been better than "smart". Not sure about Ontario regs but in many jurisdictions you are entitled as long as you pay your dues even if you leave and go to work elsewhere.

Just another take on diesel. You can't just dump a barrel of oil in one end of a refinery and get any particular end product out the other that you want. There is a limited mix ratio in most refineries. Just for the sake of discussion, if designed for 15% diesel output then there's only so far that you can go from that percentage. You don't just flip a switch and get 40% diesel out instead. Each end product has it's own market so the pricing varies. Getting the sulphur down to the required levels isn't a cheap trick either and the type and origin of that original barrel of oil plays a big part in it all as well.
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

It seems that 1.35/litre ($5.10 US Gallon) is a point where some things begin to change.
    Some auto dealers are now refusing pickup trucks and SUVs as trade ins.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Might be a good time to get a bargain then.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely a great time for a deal. All you have to do is sell your house (assuming it's not in foreclosure) to pay for the fuel.:(
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That was two weeks ago. The Monday evening (26th) it was $1.299/L, and the Tuesday morning it was $1.439.

Yesterday evening it jumped another $0.08/L to $1.519.

$0.22/L (roughly $0.83/gal.) in 14 days... :rolleyes:
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Jokes aside I would be interested in a late model Diesel Suburban, if such a beast exists and if anyone is thinking of downsizing and can't sell their existing monster.

Edit: My mistake, I did a Google after posting and found they aren't making any at the moment and haven't since 2000 :-(. New one expected in 2010 but with current developments who knows if it will make it to the showroom.
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

No kidding... and pretty soon I'll wonder if GM can even afford to put gas in it to transport it.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Yes too bad.

I am embarking on a 1460km road trip tomorrow which will take me through 5 countries. If it all goes according to plan I will only bunker once at about 850km, if the traffic is heavy or the recent European Truck blockades of border crossing as a protest at fuel costs get me the times and consumption will be a whole new number.

I will post back with my costs for what is a fairly normal distance a family would drive here for their holidays from Mid. Europe down to the Mediterranean Coast and back and see how it compares to what it would cost in the US even with the high fuel prices.
  14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The show is on and should be interesting this year. Already talked with a few friends that I haven't seen for a couple of years and the volatility of pricing is a subject that makes most just shake their heads.

http://www.petroleumshow.com/globalpetroleum/
  15. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

You should consider a Ford Excursion with the diesel motor. If you can find a used one with the 7.3 litre Powerstroke you will have a great truck.
  16. brunick

brunick Senior Member

maybe you should consider buying a small car, like a smart - that one got a 3 cylinder engine and does 50 miles per gallon

maybe that's the way to save money :D

seem them here:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6557549/
  17. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Hi Guys - especially those of you in the US,

You have my sincere sympathy, but...

We are currently paying $2.60 a LITRE in the UK - or roughly $10.40 a gallon!

A friend from the US rubbed salt into my wounds today by sending me this... :)

It hurts because under this current government's taxation, draught beer costs between $3.80 and $5 a pint - or $19 to $40 a gallon!

Attached Files:

18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Are you suggesting that you would feel safe in one of those in the left hand lane of the A1?

I was once a passenger in a SMART Car, it was from Linate Airport, Milan to Monaco. It was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life. It always felt as though it would be blown off the road when other cars flashed past, the all glass roof being a very reassuring thing to be above you if it were to roll over.
  19. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

BMW mini hybrid or electric

Why do all of these 'econo' cars have to be sooooo small and ugly ??
    Why doesn't someone come out with an econo model of the BMW mini Cooper. Nice looking, nice size. I'm 6' 4" and I fit in one comfortably.

I don't think you could keep them on the car lot they would sell so fast. :rolleyes: ;)
  20. brunick

brunick Senior Member

this post wasn't about comfort - a nice volkswagen lupo does the same - it's just the way to save money :)

have a look at this:
    http://www.isnichwahr.de/r70113118-audi-erobert-amerikanischen-kleinwagenmarkt.html

the audi q7 is one of the biggest suvs we've got in germany - that other rides - they're twice the size of it - somethings going wrong over there doen't it?

in the us you mustn't even got over 90 miles/h - why so big cars?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.