Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Freshwater pump quality

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Alzira II, Nov 6, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

I have tried all the normal common brands of freshwater pumps, sea flo, flo jet, etc. I can’t say the quality has been noticeably better between any of them. Does anyone have a brand loyalty? I am looking for a pump for commercial charter 80 foot boats I rent that can really take some use and not die.
  2. menkes

menkes Member

3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Head hunter Mach 5 are the industry bench mark and are well designed and engineered pumps that are onboard by the thousands. These pumps aren't inexpensive but they're backed by great warranty and tech support from Headhunter. Many discussions on YF about Mach 5's. Headhunter also has a fantastic two stage system called the " Aquabox" that's replacing twin Mach 5 installations on the larger vessels and speaking with a few engineers that say the Aquabox is an outstanding solution to pressurized domestic water aboard.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Mach 5 is the way to go with a DC back up. The only issue is that they are very sensitive to air leaks on the auction side but once purged and the plumbing is tight they work great.

I ve also used shallow well pumps. They work fine but a bit louder.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I also agree with MACH 5 for AC voltage. Headhunters DC version is very good too but has issues with the circuit boards failing and can't get just the circuit board from Headhunter. The best DC pump I've ever come across are the DC Gianneschi Ecojet/Equinox pump kicks ass. Has amazing flow and pressure. I have one on a 2007 yacht that's original and gets used often. On the cheap, the largest DC Jabsco 6 gpm variable speed pump is pretty good.
  6. cnvsback

cnvsback Member

Grudnfos make a pump call the SCALA 2 that is a great replacement for the Mach 5 pumps. They have fully adjustable pressure settings which allow two pumps plumbed in parallel to have staggered start/stop settings. Their pulmbing sizes and voltages are also the same so swapping them is a relatively straight forward installation. My experience with Mach 5 pumps is on 130'+ yachts, I personally don't think they are designed for that size boat but maybe they work differently on smaller applications.

I have removed Mach 5's due to faulting out during wash down periods, sensitivity to air in their suction line, and no capability to adjust system pressure.
  7. Gödeke

Gödeke New Member

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone has experience with the Headhunter Aqua-Box Multi Stage Pressure Pump?