Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

Fresh water pipe leaking SOMEWHERE!

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Capt Denny, Jan 15, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

Well……..Back to the drawing board.
    Had high hopes for it to be the PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE…. But no!
    Still looking for a source.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's a 38' boat, there aren't too many places it could leak from and the boat really isn't all that big........ get a really good flashlight, a borescope camera and start poking around.......
  3. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

In the past I used a tool to find a break in a wire with a LanCat. It is for finding physical problems with wire. They send em waves down the metal and if there is a break it reflects the waves in a unusual way so the tool can detect it and tell you how far it is is far away from the scanning tool. I suspect that an engineering company could do it for pipes too.

A cheaper way is to pump a dye through the pipe then look for the coloured water is coming from to find the leak.
  4. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

5. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

Well worth a try. Just ordered one on Amazon so I’ll see if I can look behind areas that have a hidden path to the bilge. Thank You for the advice.
  6. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

Thanks for the Dye Advice. Only problem is that , yes it will show the dye in the bilge but I still cannot see anywhere along the walls that are wet.
    Ordered a flexible camera to see under and behind areas. Fingers crossed. Thanks again
    AnotherKen likes this.
  7. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

oh, it just occurred to me that you can use red chalk by drawing a big line along the wall that the pipe is connected to. Then you can keep checking the pipe until you see where the chalk has been disturbed by water leaking from the pipe.
  8. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

Thanks Ken,
    I’ll give that a try.
    Seems that every wall I can see though is dry.
    It’s the ones I can’t see are likely the culprit.
    I did order an endoscope to possibly look around and behind areas that I just cannot see.
    ThankYou for yours and everybody else’s ideas.
    This is a great forum!!
    AnotherKen likes this.
  9. Capt Denny

Capt Denny New Member

OK !!!! I did purchase an ENDOSCOPE and it DID PAY OFF !
    My water leak was in a pipe running behind the aft shower and the forward galley. Was not at a connection and was only found by sticking the endoscope behind the aft cabin sink and following the outer edge of the boat. No way to repair it. So ran new PEX red and blue lines from the galley aft and refit with SHARKBITE FITTINGS. Running the new lines along a wall BLINDLY produced a lot of foul language!! The manufacturer must have really gotten a good deal on **** ZIP TIES!!!!!!
    Anyway, that 4 month leaking issue is now behind us and we don’t need to turn off our water pressure at the panel til the next leak.
    Thanks for all the great tips!!
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Personally I don’t trust Pex and much prefer copper. And yea, Sharkbyte is the way to go. I redid my all the plumbing in my boat about 5 years ago after I completely redesigned the inside, moving heads and galley. All with copper and Sharkbyte.

at that time the 1970 copper plumbing didn’t have a single leak. Copper is the way to go