Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

forward looking sonars

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by nilo, Mar 11, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. nilo

nilo Senior Member

i am looking into various built forward looking sonar to install on a 90 feet boat with semi-displacement aluminum hull with speeds up to 25 knots. i have been using interphase probe on my present planning boat, but i am not very happy with the performance, especially at higher speeds. i have come accross far sounder, and watched the demo on their site, which looks impressive. however, they have presently set the limits for slower speeds. i know that echopilot also produces such equipment and recently furuno has come up with a new product FL7000.

anyone has personal experience to share?
  2. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

forward sonars

I have no experience with the below system but it looks good.

www.farsounder.com

brgds
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

far sounder

Crewagency i agree with your comments, their presentation at their internet site was quite impressive, especially when you compare it with makes of Echopilot and Interphase. I have already contacted far sounder and I have been advised that presently their product is tested for 10 knots and they have cases where it has also performed around 15 knots. Actually I am looking something which will perform around 20 knots.

I have been using an Interphase Probe and I have to admit that I am not very impressed with the performance. I wonder if any of the forum members have any first hand experience with Farsounder and new black box versions of Echopilot or Interphase.
  4. Sismondi

Sismondi New Member

I looked at all the forward-looking sonar options a year ago at the Miami boat show with a similar goal -- to use it on an 85-foot boat traveling at 20-20 knots. I came away concluding that the technology just isn't yet to this level. In the future it will get there, no doubt, but I could not find anything capable of doing this now.