Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Westport

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show 2013 FLIBS

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Old Phart, Oct 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

KKreicker1, It's definitely the one that was at the Viking Center in Riviera Beach, I will take a look at her and have a meeting set up with Dave to talk about the other Yachts we are looking at. Like I said, a full report will follow, along with pics!
  2. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Van Dutch is apparently a great example of the good old fashioned American marketing technique of selling the sizzle and not the steak!

I am glad that there are folks here that know that beauty is only skin deep and have the knowledge and experience to know the difference.
  3. discokachina

There were quite a few sport fisherman I snapped over the last couple of days so here are a few more for you to enjoy.

I will leave it up to those familar with them to chime in on their make, model, etc.

sport (1).JPG

sport (2).JPG

sport (3).JPG

sport (4).JPG

sport (5).JPG
  4. discokachina

Ok here is the last installment of sport fisherman until the show starts tomorrow!!

The first entry seems almost naked without the prerequisite tuna tower looming over head but a beauty none the less!

sport2 (5).JPG

sport2 (4).JPG

sport2 (3).JPG

And for the crusing crowd Hope springs eternal with this 90' blue hulled beauty built by Palmer Johnson in 1992 with a refit in 2013 she can be run by just two crew and accommodates six guests in three staterooms.

sport2 (1).JPG

For the super serious world cruiser with deeper pockets there is the 150' Marco Polo Series expedition motor yacht Mazu that was built by Cheoy Lee in China in 2012 that has a cruising range of 7000nm at 11 knots.

sport2 (2).JPG
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Those are some newer Bertrams, a few older ones, a Viking, and also an older Hatteras Convertible.

Great Shots!!!!
  6. discokachina

Here is a vid showing Paraffin as she begins maneuvering in the ICW to her docking position.

Yacht Paraffin Is Docking At The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show FLIBS - YouTube

Here is the second part of the vid where she finally touches down and traffic on the ICW resumes!

Yacht Paraffin Is Docking At The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show FLIBS - YouTube
  7. discokachina

Boy did I have fun today scooting up and over the 17th Street Causeway Bridge to take some shots of the big yachts docked underneath.

I am so anxious for you all to see the pics l will let you all fill in the photos your own commentary.

believe (1).JPG

believe (2).JPG

believe (3).JPG

believe (4).JPG

believe (5).JPG
  8. discokachina

Here we go from the West side of the ICW.

olga (1).JPG

olga (2).JPG

olga (3).JPG

olga (5).JPG

olga (4).JPG
  9. discokachina

And last but not least from the SE side of the bridge we have the largest yacht in the show, the American made yacht that needs no introduction, drum roll please for Cakewalk!!!

cakewalk (3).JPG

cakewalk (2).JPG

Ok, I just can't keep my mouth about this one because this gullet has detail that is so totally awesome I did not want you all to miss it.

Check out the dragons on her stern; I will post some close ups of her stern and bowsprit in a future post.

cakewalk (5).JPG

cakewalk (4).JPG

cakewalk (1).JPG

The, the, that's all folks till tomorrow when the Show gates open at 10AM!

Be there sporting your YF tees or be square:D
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

It wouldn't take too many smarts to get serious about Mazu. It was engineered by Albrecht Buchner, a commercial ship engineer who partnered with Cheoy Lee to build the first MCC "Marco Polo". Chuck & I wrote a review on the boat here...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/mcc-yacht/8216-review-mcc-147-marco-polo-expedition-yacht.html

Mazu is based on much of the same engineering, but the overall finish and appointments are much improved. I was onboard Mazu for a FYBA Open House a few months ago. Cheoy Lee's execution on this build really showcased what they are capable of producing. It's on par with some Northern European builds. In my opinion, Mazu should be one of the next superyachts to sell.
  11. bliss

bliss Senior Member

FYI - Hope was originally built for George Stephens of the Weber Stephens Products Company. (Weber Grills) It was named Ma Mu VI.
  12. discokachina

The first part of the first day of the Show brought me some interesting looking boats to photograph.

The first was Premium a 102' stabilized motoryacht which is one of nine Frank Mulder designed hulls built in a series of Evan Marshall-styled
    yachts from PR Marine in Germany.

premium (1).JPG

I love the super large blue tear drop window!

premium (2).JPG

Bac O Booc is an 87' collaboration between builder Oceanfast in Australia and designer Sam Sorgiovanni whose lines, shapes, and use of space are quite unmistakable.

premium (5).JPG

premium (4).JPG

premium (3).JPG
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I didn't know Sorgiovanni designed this boat. I knew it was an Oceanfast build and assumed Bannenburg. Thanks for the continuing education. Good to see you on the docks today DK!
  14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Is there anything nostalgic looking at the show? ...I'm getting dizzy with all those curvy windows...oops, ports :rolleyes:
  15. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

16. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

I remember back around 1996 that I was at the Dusseldorf boat show when the Pr Marine was introduced. Kinda still thinks she looks cool, but I remember that her interior was really nouveaux riche.
  17. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

It was 1998 exterieur cool, interieur not so much.....

Attached Files:

18. brian eiland

19. discokachina

Yes, there were a few, in fact one was so stunning I took several shots of this Grand Craft 36' Commuter and some details.

I did not crop the first pic down since there was a very nice boat with wooden details docked behind her.

nos.JPG

The Grand Craft models utilize a special wood epoxy saturation process that feature two layers of planking on the hull sides, three layers of 1/4” mahogany on the bottom while larger hulls are built with three layers on the sides and four layers on the bottom and transom.

nostalga (2).JPG

nostalga (3).JPG

nostalga (5).jpg

And of course a fairly new yacht built in 2007 by Kanter was then taken to Rybovich in 2011 and stripped back to her aluminium hull, the interior, electrical, mechanical systems replaced, and new 575hp Caterpillar engines installed making her essentially a new yacht just oozing with old world charm.

nostalga (4).JPG
  20. brian eiland

Thanks Discokachina

I had thought about coming down to the show this year, but I figured I just might not find too much of interest to me to make it worthwhile.

Sure might be nice to see something along these lines,....as an alternative to all big 'bling'.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-trawler-discussion/19252-trawler-houseboat.html

That Kanter looks to be a bigger version of this Pilgrim trawler in concept, but of course without the classic plumb bow. maybe more of the Trumpy/Mathis houseboat type, but not quite as classy

PS: Are there any Great Harbor Trawlers of Florida Bay Coasters there,....just wondering??