Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort Click for Mulder

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show 2013 FLIBS

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Old Phart, Oct 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

When I was cruising the show on Thursday I ran into my old friend Debra Frenkel of Freedom Waters Foundation who was celebrating having just received the donation of a handicap accessible boat from Luke Brown Yachts for the organization to use in their tireless efforts to bring the joys of boating to folks who have mobility issues!

From left to right we have Debra, along with three folks from Luke Brown Yachts, Michael Hartman, Mary Jane Noon, and Andrew Cilla yucking it up on the deck of the fun ship Freedom Waters.

bg (4).JPG

The boat has been reconfigured to accommodate several wheelchairs one of which can operate the vessel.

bg (2).JPG

There are unobstructed entrances on the starboard and port sides so people do not have to step over anything to get onto the boat.

I met Debra when I went on my first outing with Freedom Waters which consisted of a wonderful afternoon on a motor yacht where we enjoyed gourmet sandwiches while cruising the ICW and Port Everglades.

From the looks of the smiles on everyone's faces I could tell that everyone including myself was having great fun with nothing to think about except the sound of water lapping against the side of the yacht, the sights, smells, and sounds of the Port, and the comradery of a group of new found friends!.

bg (3).JPG

MTG is a 89' motor yacht custom built in 2009 by Pershing that can cruise along at a leisurely 30 knots or when pinned can hit a top speed of 42 knots.

bg (1).JPG

She has one of the more interesting name plates engraved on her stern that I have seen in a long time!

bg (5).JPG

The M and G conjure up visions of Mustang horse heads with long flowing manes in my head.
  2. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

3. discokachina

Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

I was wondering when I was watching the yachts leave the show I noticed as many were using their bow thrusters that some were quite loud and others you could not hear other than the water rushing from the thruster.

What is the reason for that?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hydraulic vs electric. Some hydraulic units sound like large chain saws.
    Depth & size of tube. If they draw air or cavitate, it can make a racket.
  5. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Did the view look something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ANTr-R4RbI

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKLIUlbJtE
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Well, I have to hand it to everyone, including Disco and Captaintilt for all the great photos. You took the pressure off me and I was able to get some rest during the show, instead of staying up all night and posting.
    My contribution are some night shots. A bit difficult this year as it was windy most evenings but have some nonetheless. Oh, and I survived the show without needing an electric cart or crutches, but do need some rest now.

- Bertrams aglow

- Fireworks from the top of Bahia Mar

- Original Hatteras Knit Wits

- Our Toy

Attached Files:

7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

- There were yachts for miles.

- The view from across the ICW.

Attached Files:

8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

There's a custom that on the last day of the boat show at closing time, the yachts blasts their horns. A spectacle in itself, I was fortunate that the crew of M/Y Remember When allowed me up to the sundeck to video the momentous occasion. I was happy to hear them, as it marked the end of a 6-day jaunt around the show, but also a bit sad to see another show end where I had a great time interacting with crew, vendors, builders, and of course, Carl.

2013 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show yacht horns - YouTube
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I think for next year we get Carl to have YF sponsor this booth:

Attached Files:

10. discokachina

The Water Taxi is one of the best ways to see Ft Lauderdale; after a ride you now know why they call us the Venice of the Americas!!

Water, water everywhere plus more awesome yachts than you can shake as stick at!!!

There are so many canals, rivers, and water ways that we actually have an island that is created by the North and South forks of the Middle River that is the city of Wilton Manors!

Can you imagine living on an island in the middle of Fort Lauderdale!

Actually there are quite a few islands that developers created that are connected to the mainland by only a narrow two lane bridge.

We have it all!!!
  11. discokachina

Great closing video CaptTom right from the center of it all and awesome night shots!

Glad you were able to take it a little easy this year and that you are feeling better but we are not going to let you off the hook so easy next show so get ready!!!! :)
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

She seems to be smiling in two directions, simultaneously. ;)
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree the Water Taxi is a great ride. But you also get to see exactly what BAD Captain's are like!!!!!!! Every stop, you have to prepare for ramming.
  14. SFS

SFS Senior Member

We only took the water taxi for two legs (Doubletree to Bahia Mar, and back), but sure enough, the captain rammed the dock at the end of the second leg. The bow came very close to hitting a man standing near the edge of the dock.

To be fair, the boat needed to be sandwiched in between two very large yachts, and there was little room to spare, but I was seriously unimpressed with the skipper's judgment (or lack thereof).