Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show 2012 FLIBS

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by discokachina, Oct 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Sorry no, when I passed the JCraft it seemed to be crowded so I could not get any clear shots, maybe CaptTom got'em??
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks, Disco, for all of the great shots and commentary. And thanks, as always, to Tom for sharing your pro shots.

And thank you to the so many YF-ers that stopped by to say "Hi" or to put a :) with a name. Thanks especially to new friends and old: Discokachina, Norseman, Loren, Maldwin, Jorge, Walter, Nancy...

Judy
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Looks like the GB 54 "Europe".

Great Bahamas boat and a great beginner boat.
    I did inspect it Sunday and came away rather impressed.

Same size as Judy's Bering 55 but $1.mill more.

Being a working stiff I would rather go with Judy's steel trawler and with less luxury. Range is twice as much with the Bering for half the price.:cool:
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Nice coverage and commentary disco.
  5. discokachina

Open wide! How wide?

Wider!!!

Never Enough!!!

azimut (2).JPG

The Wider 42 is one amazing piece of technology. From her side opening pontoon supported wings which increase her cockpit width to an eye popping 21' to her multi-function steering wheel which includes a built in display screen that integrates many of the on board controls into a single panel.

a.JPG

Queen Alert!! The Princesses are in town!

From their regal looking V39 sport cruiser whose LOA is actually 42'6",

aa (3).JPG

To their latest flagship model the Princess M40. Hull number 1, Imperial Princess, just arrived in America from England to make her world debut!

aa (1).JPG

Every detail on this royal yacht is superbly finished including her stainless anchors. Love the luxy looking dove grey color of her hull!!

aa (2).JPG
  6. discokachina

All sizes and shapes of Azimuts were at the show such as this 72S.

I have always been fascinated by the curves and shapes Azimut incorporates into their designs.

azimut2.JPG

From the curved window glass and panels in their flybridges

azimut (3).JPG

To the slightly snubbed nose and anchor holder

azimut (1).JPG

To the bug eyed port holes

azimut (4).JPG

To the multi square port holes below deck

azimut (5).JPG

That all add up to the sexy seductive look Azimut has become famous for!!!
  7. discokachina

One can never see too many sexy yachts in their lifetime much less one boat show.

Here are some more of the alluring Azimut Flybridge Fleet!!

Flybridge 70

aa (5).JPG

Flybridge 64

aa (1).JPG

Flybridge 60

aa (2).JPG

Flybridge 53

aa (3).JPG

Flybridge 48

aa (4).JPG

And that ain't all!!
  8. discokachina

Bringing up the rear of the Azimut Fleet hit parade are three entries.

The absolutely grand 105 Grande which I imagine comes equipped with everything from soup to nuts!!

aaa (4).JPG

S62

aaa (1).JPG

And last but certainly not least is the Azimut 40.

aaa (2).JPG

This next star, Star Ship needs no introduction. Built in the Netherlands by Van Mill in 1988, she was stripped to the metal during a thorough $14 million refit in 2006 with all new systems and the entire interior replaced. My favorite feature is her swim platform mounted passerelle that swings up and away to double as a diving board!

aaaa (1).JPG

Silver Shalis, a 131' yacht built by Abeking & Rasmussen, is powered by 3 MTU 16V engines totaling 10,440 hp driving triple KaMeWa waterjets to an impressive top speed of 31 knots. Lets go water skiing!!!

aaaa (2).JPG
  9. davidwb

davidwb Senior Member

Starship, a 14 million usd refit? That seems a bit much...especially for such a relatively old yacht?
  10. discokachina

A full frame shot of this yacht appeared earlier in the thread. We have also seen beautiful curves

eye (2).JPG

and bug eyes before too. When it comes to beautiful yachts we know that the devil is in the details!

Whose details are these?

eye (1).JPG

Before I say something corny like, Fab Dock is absolutely fabulous, I need to know what it is and what it does?

Any ideas?

eye (3).JPG

Once again I have to say the devil is in the details but these details have not been pictured in this thread before.

eye (5).JPG

Nevertheless I think the make and model of this beautiful creature of the sea are obvious!

eye (6).JPG

Someone else fell in love with her too based on seeing the SOLD sign attached to her bow rail!!
  11. discokachina

That's right, you guessed it, the sexy Italian details belong to the Domino 86 by Riva!!

domino (2).JPG

She looks as good from the stern as she does from the bow where she proudly displays her badge of honor, the tell tale SOLD sign!!!

domino (1).JPG

Riva does not have a monopoly on sexy Italian rear ends as Pershing demonstrates with their 92 foot babe who sports a SOLD sign too!!!

domino (3).JPG

And in a crowd of sexy Italian femme fatales you know that 007, on a Ferretti, is bound to be there too.

domino (4).JPG

And where ever you find James Bond you will always find super cool spy gadets like this 4x4 ATV that converts into a waverunner at the push of a button just in time to save 007 and Pussy Galore from Goldfinger's clutches!!!

domino (5).jpg

After that ride I am ready for a Martini!!
  12. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

My mom and dad chartered Star Ship in the mid 90. I miss her 90's modern design!
  13. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

According to what I get from the web site FABDOCK Drydock - The Dry Dock Solution (a floating drydock for boats), it apparently uses a pump to create a temporary,portable dry dock for your boat. It is supposed to keep it out of the salt water and decrease slime/barnacles/other growth on the hull. I'm still not sure how one gets it under the boat.
  14. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

It is not portable, you set it at your dock, float on it, inflate the rear gate and you are up and dry!

Great coverage guys.
  15. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Nice to see some sales! Great!
  16. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I remember back in the 80's or 90's there were a number of boats at the marina we kept our boat had something similar called "boat baths" as I recall. They didn't come up flush with the hull like the FABDOCK but apparently they were treated with chemicals that discouraged barnacle and seaweed growth. I'm guessing the environmentalists got those outlawed. This was in CA as one might expect.

At any rate many thanks to Disco and Capt Tom for the great pictures and commentary.
  17. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Since I was engineering on the boat that Maverick is the tender for up until a few weeks before the show and was involved in the measuring and design of that FABDOCK perhaps I can clarify.

The FABDOCK is portable. Although in most cases you would leave it in your permanent slip. You pull the boat into it, inflate the rear gate so that the boat is now inside the inflatable docking ring. Hanging from under the ring is a custom designed to your hull shape bag that has a couple of pockets in it with water pumps in them. You start the pumps once the rear gate is up and pump out the water from inside the bag. Water pressure causes the bag to seal up around the hull of the boat creating in effect a dry dock under and around the hull.
  18. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

More Fab Dock

These are the selling points as posted on the Fab Dock page...
    • The unique design makes docking your boat so much easier
    • Portable: just roll it up and take it with you
    • The footprint is about the same size as the boat (actually smaller in some instances), therefore no problems in tight spaces or marinas
    • Inconspicuous: some marinas have already banned other alternatives because they are unsightly and potentially dangerous
    • No issues in shallow waters; if you can get your boat in and out, you can have a Fab Dock
    • There is no additional stress or strain placed on your pontoon or jetty
    • Your boat remains at water level meaning no chance of the boat rolling over or having to climb up to board or blocking your water views
    • Completely self contained. No bulky and hazardous control boxes or pipes to trip over
    • No hard plastic or metal parts to damage your boat if something goes wrong
    • No metal parts to corrode
    • No moving parts to service
    • Keeps water out of inlet pipes preventing sea growth and other build up in these vital channels
    • You will save money on maintenance by keeping your boat’s legs, shafts and propellors dry
  19. discokachina

Hey CaptTom,

Any more arty super cool and or unique shots from the show?
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Tom departed FLIBS on Tuesday morning after working 6 full days (and nights, as we know!), stopped briefly by his house for fresh clothes, then drove 2 hours north to meet me in Orlando for my first day at the NBAA convention. He spent the following day shooting jets at the NBAA static display at Orlando Regional Executive Airport while I met with principles from various aviation manufacturers. He got home late on Wednesday night and without a chance to rest, had to pack an indefinite period suitcase and fly to New York the following morning, where his full time employer, Verizon Wireless, was waiting on him to tackle a 'real' job... Tom works for Verizon's Disaster Management Team and Lord knows, he's going to be busy for awhile!

A big THANK YOU to Tom Serio for his coverage of FLIBS, the NBAA and the mess that Sandy left behind.