Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show 2012 FLIBS

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by discokachina, Oct 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Looks like Cakewalk and Sunrise have arrived for the show along with another ship load of yachts destined for FLIBS.

cakewalk.JPG
    compliments of portevergladeswebcam
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, they arrived 6 hours ago. It was 2-3 meter high seas from the side and 20-30 knots wind, so I guess they are pretty tired now...
  3. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

I'm coming down for the show and to do some tire-kicking.

Been looking at the weather forecast and it looks like there are going to be very high winds/gusts for the duration of the show. Unfortunate.....
  4. discokachina

Today when I went down to the show site there was a lull in the activity while the crane set more mooring piles.

I did catch Shailmar arriving and then backing into her slot.

anj (5).JPG

There is just something intoxicating about Shalimar, perhaps it has something to do with the memories of Shalimar wafting through the air at my high school dances!

anj (6).JPG

Here another beautiful kind of Dream is getting her morning bath.

This elegant lady is a 170' Feadship with 7 staterooms for 12 guests.

anj (2).JPG

Andiamo is a beautiful example of Feadship's intrepretation of an expedition yacth that is of course ice classed with a globe trotting range of 4,700 nm.

anj (4).JPG

Anjilis is a 160' streamlined Trinity who cruises at 18 knots while pampering 11 guests on jaunts around the world!

anj (3).JPG
  5. discokachina

Today I found Garcia all snug in her slip getting her make over for the show.

Add.JPG

You may have read the review of this sweet baby http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-trawler-discussion/19720-review-garcia-yachtings-gt54-le-trawler.html

Seeing her live confirmed everything said in the review and them some.

Add (5).JPG

I sure wouldn't want to have to face the business end of this in a dark alley on a cold and windy night!!

Yikes, move over or get out of the way!!!

Add (4).JPG

I love the finish of the hull, if I were ever going to have a boat built of aluminum I would definitely do something similar.

Add (2).JPG

Nothing says form follows function better than a design like this.

I can't wait until the show so I can go on board and soak up her inside!!!

Add (3).JPG
  6. discokachina

Here is a little better picture of the Imperial Princess as she waits to be off loaded so she can attend the show.

At 130' she is the longest production vessel ever built in Britain with the largest resin infused hull ever molded.

Add (1).JPG
  7. discokachina

Nestled next to Garcia is the Delta 54 here all the way from Sweden although I must say she looks none the worse for wear.

In fact she looks like one heck of a mean speed machine!

Add (7).JPG

Even sitting at the dock she looks like a panther patiently waiting to pounch on its prey.

add2.JPG

One of many of her outstanding design elements is the curvature of her hull and the way her chines get wider the closer to the water line they get.

Your really get the feeling that she is going to get up and ride high and dry.

Add (6).JPG

The triple water line stripping is super cool and keeps the eye engaged with the hull from front to back and then to the front again.

Very ingenious!!

Add (8).JPG

The profile of the cabin is totally unique and something that in person makes you realize you are looking at something quite special.

Like her next door neighbor after being so excited by how her exterior looks in person I can hardly wait for show day so I can enjoy her voluptuous interior.

Add (9).JPG
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Hello there old Girl.
    You're looking well these days.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hello all,
    Hats off to discokachina for his great coverage of the FLIBS setup and float-in. I've been stuck in the office the past week but sneak to YF to see what's happening. Disco has kept us well informed and his commentary is worthy of a seasoned journalist. Nice job!
    I'll be hitting FLIBS and will assist disco in bringing some of the vision of FLIBS to YF readers. I'm excited to see the new additions, as well as see what TS Sandy will do to the show as she skirts Florida on friday. Some wx reports indicate winds potentially 40+ knots. Should make taking photos from 17th St Causeway exciting.
    If you see folks with a YachtForums shirt, stop us and say hello (I'll also be hoofing it for The Triton newspaper, so stop me if you see the Triton shirt). Come on down and buy a boat.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

+1! Way to go Disco!
  11. discokachina

Thanks CaptTom, Carl, YN, et al!!

We are all looking forward to CaptTom's special vision, especially with his night goggles since no one does it better!

Hopefully there will be more YF folks at FLIBS that will share their pics and comments on what is sure to be the best show in years!!

The best is yet to come!!!
  12. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks David. That means a lot. I'm glad I found a site that allows me to share my work.
    And speaking of sharing, here's a recent image of M/Y Lady Diane II.

Attached Files:

13. discokachina

+1 Thanks to Carl and gang!!

Totally awesome image! Hauntingly beautiful!!

How did you get your tripod to stand on the water without making any ripples??? Great technique!!!
  14. discokachina

Early this morning one of Wally's Stealth Yachts tried to sneak into Port Everglades under the radar.

But neither wind or rain, nor snow or sleet shall keep YFers from their appointed rounds.

This incredible 118' speed deamon rallies 17,000 hp to push her to a cruising speed of 60 kn, or the equivalent of 70 mph.

wally.JPG
    compliments of portevergladeswebcam

We will see how long it takes her to get to the show location!!

YF has spotter her before http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/wally-yacht/16704-wally-118-spotted.html
  15. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

That is a gorgeous photo Tom! my goodness!
  16. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

Great picture!!!

Did you have a longer shutter time?
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Disco, I may be good, but not good enough to walk on water. Shot is from the outside dock facing in.
    Ron, thanks very much.
    Ombre, shutter was 4 seconds at iso 250, no flash. Try to keep the iso down to reduce grain, but had to shoot relatively fast as it was windy and the yachts were moving around a bit. I like to use the existing light to illuminate the object. With this wind in FL for the next few days, I may not get any decent night shots in until late weekend.
    Here's an image where the shutter was open for 25 seconds. Yacht was going at near idle speed, but it looks as though it's warping through time (straight out of the camera, no PS or post editing except to resize).

Attached Files:

18. discokachina

Awesome shot! Beam me up CaptTom!!!

Harbor Island must have arrived after dusk because she managed to dock next to a fire hydrant!

Sure hope she doesn't get a ticket!!

Arri (1).JPG

Harbor Island's brokers recently announced a "Massive Price Reduction" from $54.9M to $49.5M. Well I guess everything is relative!!!

The epitome of elegance on the high seas the 180' Harbor Island was a finalist in the 2012 World Superyacht Awards!

Arri (4).JPG

I find something inherently sexy about the design of 121' blue hulled Sunseekers represented at FLIBS by Just J's II!

Arri (5).JPG

Lacy Bee is a lovingly maintained 1995 141' Christensen build that accommodates 12 guests in 6 suites along with 7 crew ready to take care of your every whim at a moments notice.

Arri (3).JPG

Arianna is a 2012 164' Delta creation based on a Polynesian style with Balinese touches making her a truly unique and beautiful superyacht ready to take her 12 guests any where their hearts desire.

Arri (2).JPG

Be careful she bites!!
  19. discokachina

When Imperial Princess docked in her show slip the only unobstructed view was of her very nice looking deriere.

Princess.JPG

I am sure that the two white elevated fighting chairs are going to be a much sought after feature not available any where else!
  20. discokachina