Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Foredeck repairs...

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Stainless45, Aug 26, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

The bow had rot in the balsa core from the pulpit mounting bolts, a project I knew would need to be addressed at the time that I bought the boat. Two years later I finally got around to having it done at Gulf Fiberglass in Lindenhurst L.I. I prefer the clean Carolina look over a pulpit, but I like to anchor. Found a one-off stainless roller sled on eBay. Did a lot of welding. I made an anchor turner from 316 and a swivel. Made a cruciform bit from a threaded eye. Was able to relocate the original windlass. Everything through bolted with 1/2" structural fiberglass backer from McMaster. The cleats are 12" from US Stainless. Pretty happy with the results.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  2. Stainless45

The rest-

Attached Files:

3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sweet.
    Stainless45 likes this.
  4. C team

C team Senior Member

Great job!
  5. Stainless45

Thanks guys. Amazing work by father and son team at Gulf Fiberglass. Re-cored with coosa board and doubled up in the center for the same height as the toe rail. After I modified the anchor sled I'd found, and made an anchor turner the FX37 comes in straight every time

Attached Files:

6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Job well done, I like the central raised rib matching the toe rail and getting that nice arrow form on the bow. Looks great.

You mentioned this: The bow had rot in the balsa core from the pulpit mounting bolts

I wouldn't mind reading more about how this was determined, how far back the shipwrights needed to go to get clean dry wood and was that the only surveys wet deck area, if you don't mind. I imagine tapping that area was the first suggestion of wet core...
  7. Stainless45

The previous owner pointed out that there was moisture in the bow and I confirmed this with a hand-held moisture meter. A good investment if you're shopping older boats with a lot of wood under the fiberglass. At some point the pulpit had been removed and sloppily reinstalled, admitting the moisture into the core. Luckily it was confined to the area you see cut away. I decided to address it sooner rather than wait for it to spread. Many of the older Post's I looked at had significant rot/moisture and this boat was the best of the lot.
    gr8trn likes this.