Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

Flying into St Maarten

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not sure about the name: I was in Alaska on and off from 1980 to 1984: then back from the USVIs for fish haul contracts on the beaches and later longhaul with jumbos. (Fuel stops and crew change in Anchorage with lots of lay-overs)
    Don’t think met Jim, or I forgot the name, spent lots of time at the Bush Company and other fine Gentlemen’s establishments, first thing to go is the memory...:D
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Why would one quit that? Or do you look younger than you are in the picture? :D
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Did not quit, still here and look young as always..
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Disbelief.jpg
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

The statement was in past tense.....

6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We flew on a DC-3 from St Thomas to Puerto Rico in the 80's. Remember some oil leaking from a motor and some loose rivets jumping up and down on the wing. Sound familiar? lol
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Typo.

Yeah very familiar, almost miss it..
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Explained to me long ago, you drove the DC-3/4 on the ground. Flying her was just a step above.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, no steering on the tailwheel, use rudder, differential power and brakes to keep the old girl straight. It was a fun job.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

...old planes...miss the Mallard's.
  11. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

This thread may have gone a bit off topic.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Guilty..
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ya think?
    But another big butt tub scrapping her hips on that bridge is really not that great of news or a big thread.
  14. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Let's call it "stream of consciousness posting".......
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Glided right over my home while my family watched TV or did their school work. No sound, just raised the ashes in the fireplace with a whoosh. Thankfully no fire, but is was amazing to see the swarth of 100 year oaks it sheared, and was surreal to walk the site at night and see this seemingly undamaged airliner across of very tiny country road in the woods. 300 yards to the east it would have perhaps plowed into a navigation point known as Coopers Bluff. The neighbors at the actual resting site came out of their home because they heard thumping, never expecting to see a crashed airliner across from their yard. The first responders were absolutely first class and selfless. Again thank god no fire - It would have been horrific. Absolutely no one hurt on the ground!

Sorry if I jumped the OP
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow, you were lucky..
    If they had 100 lbs less fuel, they would have flamed out 30 seconds earlier
    and possibly crashed into your house.
    Do you buy Lotto tickets, if not, do it.:D
  17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The posts in this thread have been split from the "Ecstasea hits St. Maarten Bridge" thread. Wish I could move these posts over to JF. Great stories!
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

With enough Coors Light under my belt I can tell stories all day and all night.
    Lots of folks said I should write a book, but a tell-all would land me in jail for the foreseeable future, best to tell bits and pieces and blame it on Norseman..:D
  19. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Oh, did have two Jet-Fighters hit each other over our farm.

Our farm was in a deep valley and have 3 RAF training camps near us. At the top of our apple orchard was a huge tree the the jets used to turn around.

My brothers and I were skeet shooting off the hillside one morning when 2 Hawker Harrier jump jets came over. Andy let loose with his 20-bore for a clay and one of the Harriers suddenly got into difficulties.

No, the 2 pilots managed to hit each others wings, one was OK but the other had to eject from his craft. He landed across the valley but the plane scooted over the tree, our chimney in the Farmhouse (blowing soot everywhere) and into the forest across the road.

You've never seen 3 bicycles peddle so hard in your life, looking for treasure. We got loads of bits of wreckage, but the RAF Police did ask for the Altimeter back. A great day out for a bunch of lads.