Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Perko

Florida to Nassau/Bahamas?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by zwdev, Jan 19, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zwdev

zwdev New Member

I know there is a Florida to Freeport/Bimini Bahamas route through Balaeria Ferry but that is temporarily suspended until they get Bahamas government approval (not sure when).

How much does a private charter yacht cost to go from Florida to Freeport or Nassau in Bahamas? It would just be to pick up and drop off at Bahamas, we don't need any sightseeing or stops. How long does it take?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Palm beach to Freeport is under half the distance than Miami to Nassau.

depends on the boat and how much fuel you want to burn... at slow speed to Freeport 6 hours each way... to Nassau 18 hours each way... you can cut that time in half by burning twice the fuel. Then you have 2 or 3 days of charter, yes you d be charged for the return trip empty.. so cost would be anywhere between $5k and $10k depending on boat and destination.

Bottom line it makes no sense whatsoever. You really much better off charter a plane.
  3. zwdev

zwdev New Member

We would only need to be dropped off at Nassau as we're planning on staying 3 months. I have a flying phobia so thats why I want to travel by Ferry.

5-6K is doable, where would I book such a trip? The agencies I talked to in Florida all want 30k minimum.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Very few boats are going to be interested in such a short trips... your best bet may be to find a boat which is going there. When are you looking into going ?
  5. zwdev

zwdev New Member

I'm looking to go towards mid to end February.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cost is so subjective to what type of boat, size of boat, etc. etc. A 50' sportfish would be able to do what you're wanting.
  7. zwdev

zwdev New Member

I don't know much about boats...I'd like something that is very very safe and can handle rough waters/storms.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Nobody is going to cross to the Bahamas in rough water or storm. In February, about half the days are rough so your dates better be flexible, especially if you want a rough ride