Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Florida Panhandle to Georgia?

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Blackthorn, Jan 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn New Member

Hi folks.

A quick nav question, if I may...

Does anyone have any experience navigating through the Florida Panhandle to Lake Seminole, GA? Can it be done? The Apalachicola River seems to be a straight shot, as far as I can tell from Google maps, but further investigation shows a dam at the Lake Seminole area. (This river enters the Gulf at the Apalachicola Bay/ Bay City FL area, if that helps with software query).

I'm still tinkering with the idea of a liveaboard, and would like to possibly purchase a small patch of Georgia scrub to tie up to. I'm not superfancy and this is sounding like a practical alternative to marina fees. Figure 40-45ft Chris-type battlewagon.

Alternative route, maybe the skinny part of the panhandle, up to the Georgia line, any river will do. I have reasons for wanting Georgia for residency, and not Florida. The Gulf coasts calm waters is preferable to me over the Atlantic GA coast - but if I have to concentrate on East GA, so be it.

Thanks in advance. Fair weather~
  2. Captd13

Captd13 New Member

I would check into the whole buying land in GA thing. As far as i know it is Illegal to live aboard in georgia, dont know why but i remember the harbor master telling me something about it
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think you're referring to the Cross-Florida Barge Canal which began construction in 1964 and was abandoned in 1971 without completion. Your cross-Florida route would be the Okeechobee Waterway from Ft. Meyers to Port St. Lucie.
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

It can be done as long as you're not drawing a lot of water. The Apalachicola is once again being dredged after Florida sued the Army Corps of Engineers over a navigation decertification and channel abandonment proposal in the late 1990s. I belive the depth is about 5-6' in the main channel year round, up to 9' in the springtime. The dams all have locks since that is the route to access the Flint and Chattahoochee rivers as well.