Click for Abeking Click to Save Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Perko

Floppy swim platform

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by richierich33, May 22, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

2006 Lazzara 74 came with a TNT lift that carries my 1000lbs Carbon Craft CC130 tender. In any head sea it moves so much I fear it’ll rip from the transom. The boats manual says to tow it in rough seas which is an option but there has to be a better solution, right? Locking system? Sliding chock to move some weight to the fixed portion of the platform? Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Given the age of your boat, I suspect the seals in the hydraulic rams need to be replaced. Hoses too.
  3. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

Just replaced hoses last week, cylinders are welded so not easy to change seals but doesn’t really lend to the problem.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Indeed the TNT manual doesn’t inspire any confidence…. We have a TNT on the Lazzara 110 I run after having a Nautical Structure on the 84 I ran before

the nautical structure had locks operated by smaller cylinders and much stiffer. The TNT doesn’t. One serious issue with the TNT is that should a hose fail, the platform will fall down. We had this happen a few years ago, luckily on the Bahamas bank and not in the Gulf Stream an hour earlier.

as a precaution when crossing we now run a heavy ratchet strap around the heavy bolts near the top of the arms to the cleats in the cockpit. Don’t think it would work for you though.

it seems to me that your problem is caused by the geometry of your installation. The brackets are really low on the transom causing the lift arms to be at an odd upward angle which will amplify movements. Ours are pretty much horizontal when the platform is up.

I wonder if you could thru bolt anchor points on both the platform and the fixed step and use SS turnbuckles as a locking mechanism when heading in rough water.

I don’t think either hoses or pistons are an issue here

in our case we had to add a second stage to the platform to raise it another foot as the prop wash between 9 and 15 knots was hitting the platform causing movement and vibration. Not your problem here as the 84 as a vertical transom unlike the 110 which keeps the prop wash from coming up closer to the transom

have you contacted TNT to see what they think of the installation ?
  5. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

I read about your debacle in your post a while back. I think you’re onto something with the turnbuckle idea. My sliding chock idea is on the same premise, not only move some weight forward onto the fixed portion but also somehow act as a turnbuckle.

I did some wratchet straps to the fly a while back when I was changing the hydraulic pump (in water) but you’re right, no practical, solid options for this.

I also have the dragging issue under 13 knots, wouldn’t mind raising it up but the sturdiness needs to come into play with that

Waiting to hear back from Mark at TNT now. Hitting up the other manufacturers for opinions too.

Would consider adding a fly bridge option if it was doable but it’s 1.5’ bigger than the railings. Would be nice to have both options
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We had the same issue. The walker bay 15 didn’t fit on the 84’s sky deck.
    The second stage isn’t cheap, $15k and it adds some extra movement even though it’s Pretty well built because of the additional leverage.

But looking at the geometry of your lift it doesn’t look like you could add a second stage.