Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

First Design: Seeking Comments/Criticism

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by dorvieto, Jun 29, 2011.

1. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

I am working on my first yacht design and am seeking comments/criticism about my progress thus far. I have a background in naval architecture but am seeking to become more fluent in 3D modeling and design. I am using Rhino for modeling and Vray for rendering. I only just got Vray and am learning it as I go, so the renderings are crude right now but should improve as I continue. The model still needs a lot of work, and much more detail must be added, but I feel its at a point where one could get the basic idea just fine. Any comments (good or bad) are welcome.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Very smooth lines.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dorvieto,

All of your renderings have been removed, except one that was correctly sized. They were so BIG, I was unable to open the thread on an iPhone. DO NOT attach any more images until you have read our rules. Images are to be no larger than 640 pixels. Your images were 2400!
  4. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

My apologies for the large images...I got a bit overzealous and forgot to check the rules. I will update new images ASAP that comply with the rules.
  5. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Properly Sized Renderings

Sorry for the overly large pictures I posted originally. Here are some resized pictures. Comments/criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

6. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

More Renderings

Some more renderings of the same design...Starting to get the hang of the Vray basics, hopefully more progress to show soon.

Attached Files:

7. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Rendering with better water

Here's another rendering with better looking water...I've been playing with the texture mapping quite a bit and am starting to see some improvement. All comments, positive or negative, are greatly appreciated. I need as much feedback as I can get to refine this design. Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Updated Rendering with Sky

Here is another rendering with sky included...Comments please!

Attached Files:

9. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Updated with portholes

Design now includes portholes...railings and mooring gear to come next. Any feedback would be very helpful!

Attached Files:

10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Something about the stern doesn't sit right with me... it's as if it can't decide what it wants to be. The taper looks too "in between"... either step down closer to the water level, or maintain a more even proportion from bow to stern.

(But that's just my humble opinion, of course...)
  11. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Stern

I think I see what you mean. My intention was to continue the curve that defines the edges of the decks all the way to the waterline. I have been playing with the stern quite a bit, mostly modeling different options like stairs leading to a beach club area. I should have some updated options within the next day or two. Thanks for your comments! Any opinions on the design and/or renderings in general?
  12. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

More Updated Renderings

Some more updated renderings for comments...

Attached Files:

13. dan1000

dan1000 Member

Out of curiosity, when you do one of these designs, does the form follow the function or does function come later? In other words, is the size and the shape of the decks and hull chosen to meet some specific purpose, or just for good looks? The boat certainly looks nice, but I've had girlfriends that just looked nice too.

Dan
  14. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Reply to Dan

Fair question, Dan. I am a naval architect (UMichigan 10') first and a designer second, so the function always comes first. I developed the hull lines and an interior plan as the base platform for this design and another I'm working on. The people are also placed in the model not only to show a size reference, but also as a check for me when I'm modeling the yacht to ensure that everything is designed and sized appropriately. Form should always follow function in my opinion. Thanks for your comments.
  15. dan1000

dan1000 Member

Good to hear. In addition to showing us the beautiful lines of your boat, are you able to share any of the design decisions that led you to this result? I guess to continue my previous analogy, what I'm saying is that she sure looks good from across the room, but once we get to know her, what is it that is going to make us fall in love for life? Perhaps something about her operating parameters, capabilities, maintainability, layout, and so on. What considerations encouraged this form, or constrained it?

Dan

16. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Response: design influences

I am working on the design for a specific "client" to put my education and skills into practice. Therefore, the design was in many ways shaped by the main paramters given by the client. Among the requirements were plenty of headroom, good accessability of all spaces (hence the wide sidedecks all around), at least 20 knots max speed, and a private owners area (which is the large forward section with 180 degree views on the main deck). In addition, the aesthetics were driven by the client's desire to keep things pure and simple, with minimal extraneous gestures/flourishes.

I feel that getting practice dealing with a client in this way, even though it is academic in nature, will be valuable as I begin my pursuit of a career in yacht design.
  17. dan1000

dan1000 Member

Absolutely. Thanks for providing the additional details. The yacht is beautiful, but any yacht's true beauty lies within. For the owner, in how it meets its mission. For the crew, in how well it operates and is maintained behind the scenes.

18. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

A couple more renderings

A couple more renderings for comments...

Attached Files:

19. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Plumb bow perhaps?

A few images of the same design with a plumb bow... I don't have all of the specifics worked out for this version, but much of the detail design could be preserved with the plumb bow. Thoughts on this version versus the previous one?

Attached Files:

20. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Possible Tender?

I was playing with the idea of designing a small tender for this yacht, and wanted to try out a classic runabout. Its just in basic form right now (no props, cleats, etc.), but I'm having fun with it so far. Any thoughts? I'm sure the plaid upholstery I have there now will not be everyone's favorite! Also, does anyone know a better way to make a glass material in Vray? Downloaded materials havent been working in my version so I'm having some trouble making quality looking materials from scratch.

Attached Files: