Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Burger

First Cruise Ends with Covid-19

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Nov 13, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

2. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Cruise lines are making it very attractive to book a cruise. After taking a cruise in the Med a few years ago, I was put on mailing lists for glossy brochures from several cruise lines. From prices shown in recent brochures, it looks to me as if several lines have discounted rates and added other incentives for 2021 cruises. I have considered booking a September 2021 cruise in Europe, counting on a vaccine for Covid by then. Other people must agree because several cabin sections are sold out already on the cruise that interests me.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This has been devastating to them so I'd expect some very good deals as they try to get their guests confidence back. I think a lot of people are anxious to cruise again as soon as it's safe. Hopefully soon, but apparently not yet. Like you illustrate the vaccine has to come first.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Many are sold out from those who had cruises cancelled but were not given refunds.
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Unfortunately the tests are not 100%..... so with a boat full of people there's going to be a few that fall through the cracks.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely. That's why I wouldn't cruise until an effective vaccine is readily available and I'd plan on wearing masks for the next year or two until the virus gets knocked down worldwide.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

You couldn't get me on a cruise before, let alone now.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've only been on one, Alaska, but it was fantastic.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You couldn’t get me on a cattle ship, COVID-19 or not. These things have been floating Petri dishes all along... gross.
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Know people that did an Alaska cruise on a small ship, 90 people, and loved it. It's an area that requires quite a lot of "kit" to access and to do that yourself is involved and $$$. Although said cruise was expensive too..... I would consider that.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

My elderly neighbors do 3 cruises a year all different places, and have done so for the past 30 years. They tell me that their Alaska cruise was by far the most breath taking and best one.
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

No kidding, a floating contagion hotel.
  13. Jasennelsen

Jasennelsen New Member

Not only Alaska has amazing views and wild life we also has amazing fishing!
  14. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

We had 5 cruise ships booked for drydocking in 2020 and all cancelled. Most are tentative for 2021 but all depends on how things go with the pandemic. The entire cruise industry is pretty unstable. I'm sure there will be consolidations, some won't make it and things will change regardless if a vaccine fixes things quickly. It is not just the cruise lines that are affected but many of the small towns and communities that have become somewhat dependent on the cruise ship tourism dollars.
  15. catmando666

catmando666 New Member

We're itching to take an Alaska cruise when we get our 2nd shots. Dockmaster which cruise would you recommend? The Inside Passage or some others?
  16. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I think the National Geographic cruise is the one I'd take if I were going to Alaska with a commercial carrier. I've done a few seasons on a private yacht there, and those guys would end up in some of the cool places we went.
  17. catmando666

catmando666 New Member

Thanks for the tip Ken. :)
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Once things return to whatever the new normal will be, there should be lots of options, The Inside Passage is very popular. There are also lots of boutique cruise lines now that use smaller ships and have different experiences. Look at the cruise line as closely as you do the itinerary. Different cruise lines offer different focuses and types of cruises.