Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Delta

First Boat: Express Cruiser or Trawler?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by easygoer13, Jul 24, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

After spending the day looking at some more boats. I can see that for my wants and needs a Aft cab style is going to fit me best.

A convertible could also work but Aft Cab is what I am going to look for.
  2. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Yo, Easy 13...

Wife and I Just returned from fun three night, three day weekend out and about on our great running, comfortable 34’ Tollycraft tri cabin with tow behind runabout – I just read the weekend inserts into your thread. Having PM’d each other, spoken with you on phone, and reviewing others’ inserts; I provide the following advice for your oncoming “boating lifestyle”...

Some Survey Recommendations (my preferences):

- Take your time choosing your craft – Prices will likely remain affordable for a very l-o-n-g time, possibly dropping even further for used boats during next year(s). Winter is when many boat owners feel “pressured” to sell. The correct boat for you will appear, as long as you search carefully! If you can, find a boat where the owner or family has been in “love” their craft, kept detailed maintenance log on it, and used it often... you just might locate a beauty!
    - Be very cautious purchasing a foreclosed upon craft... probably been not cared for correctly for some time; may have hidden drive train problems that even marine mechanical surveyor doesn’t recognize.
    - Sea Trial – Take marine mechanic/surveyor along; tell him you want him all over the engine compartment and watching gauges throughout the trial! Don’t just do a gentle cruise for a few minutes. I believe, to really see what mechanical conditions exist, a used boat should be taken out for AT LEAST AN HOUR of full-on operations trial. Motors should be run at various RPM levels for extended times to see how they, the cooling system(s), the tranys’ and other drive-line items function. Personally, once at full operating temp, I slowly take engines up to WOT (to find where WOT actually is on a craft and to see if they will maintain WOT for a minute or two with NO stumble or overheat) then drop back about 300 rpm off WOT and run the engines ten (10) minutes straight. Then drop back to 75% of WOT for ten (10) minutes. Then drop to idle for five (5) minutes. Then shut them off for a minute - and then restart. Then cruise for ten (10) minutes at hull speed and then take her back up to 75% of WOT for ten (10) minutes. After that sequence any drive line problems will likely have clearly shown up. Having an experienced mechanic/surveyor aboard for close observations will be priceless for your piece of mind regarding the sea trial’s results. If owner does not want to let this in-depth sea trial occur – then – I walk away and do not purchase, Period!
    - Be very observant of the hull stringers. My preferred stringers are rigid-foam core filled and extremely heavily fiberglass covered that is intricately laid within the hull’s fiberglass weaving. Wood stringers can be a BIG problem, be careful!!!
    - Be very observant that the decks feel solid when you walk on them... if they flex too much or are spongy at all – could become a BIG problem. I believe all exterior portions of hull, swim step, decks, superstructure sides and windows, tops, bridge... etc should have no exposed wood. Real good hand laid fiberglass construction is my preferred choice. Also, I prefer 1” o.d. stainless safety rails that have little to no wood fixtures. Any exterior wood requires work to maintain. Interior wood is great though and requires little work while being warm and looking great!

Some Boating Features (my preferences):

- Twin engines – gas or diesel. IF GAS; well positioned vent system and well working engine room blower system. Run blower for 7 to 10 minutes before starting engines.
    - Fly bridge with full instrumentation and much comfortable seating – Bimini top is nice, but can be added. Total FB enclosure is not my preferred, but not a deal breaker.
    - Rear Master state room with Queen Bed (double at least) – Providing a great, expansive sundeck above, that is usually having another bimini.
    - Roomy center salon with lower pilot station having full instrumentation
    - Forward V Berth state room
    - Head with full accommodations including shower availability in each stateroom – holding tank(s) as appropriate
    - Plenty of storage in every boat area
    - Up Galley, in the salon
    - VERY large window areas in salon for viewing purposes and interior natural light
    - MANY window areas, or doors, or vents, or hatches that open for fresh airflow in every boat area
    - Easily accessible engine room/area that is well laid out, well lit, and allows “elbow room” to service mechanical features. Being a service nut – I never use a boat without well checking mechanicals. It is my belief (and experience) that a spotless engine compartment with all item services regularly performed gives hassle free cruising and great piece of mind... besides saving $$$!
    - On-Board gen set. I prefer Kohler and 7.5 kW minimum. There also are other good gen set brands.
    - Real good and comprehensive electrical system layout (control panel etc) that includes all features working cooperatively to one another; i.e. shore power, gen set, engine alternators, battery banks, solar panels, lighting... etc, etc....

There are many more intricacies re boat type, design, features, and layout. Mentioned here are my personal choices and learned desires. It appears to me that you are fully involved in becoming a boat owner/user and that you have a lot to learn regarding pleasure boats as well as the “ways of the sea”. That said, it ain’t rocket science and I bet you have a great boating life ahead of you. I surely hope you find your “correct” craft sooner rather than later. Feel free to contact me if desired.

Ciao, - W.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Two quick points:
    That advice is worth it's weight in gold. Not only because of what you'll learn, but because, if the surveyor senses you care he'll do a more thorough job, not only in they survey, but in his explaining what his results mean.
    The 2nd is timing. Although winter is the best time to buy with a northern boat, the opposite is true in places like Florida. The best time to buy is just before the following seasons dock rent or storage comes due.
  4. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

W Arthur

I am going to be short but a big big Thank you for such a great list of advice and direction. I am trying to get to a few things here but I wanted to say Thank you....

It will be taken to heart and is much appreciated.
  5. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

While your entire response was absolutely on target, and I think the part quoted is an absolute gem! I'm transitioning from sail to power... while I have lots of exposure and some experience in twin powerboats, the "recipe" you've stated for a sea trial is practical and sage advice that can be put to use to gain knowledge that powerboat "newbie's" can really benefit from. Thanks for the great post!

Also, I know there's lots of knowledgeable folk that could comment on or enhance the procedures described. Comments?
  6. knot a jet

knot a jet New Member

thanks for all the info in this thread! plan to print it off and keep it for our next boat purchase.....;) we just bought our first boat in june - 1998 370 sea ray da and are really enjoying it but have already decided we may need a larger boat if the addiction continues at this pace ( wanting to spend every weekend on her plus planning extended stays where possible with husbands work schedule ;)
    I am online doing boat searches to see what type/ size/ price variables are out there so we can hopefully choose the right one to enjoy for many years - taking our time and reading as much as possible on valuable forums such as this-

Big thanks to you all for the info!
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Knot A Jet. Good to see a wife take such keen interest. It'll serve you and the husband well. Stay safe and keep reading YF. Lots to learn here.
  8. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Ahoy knot a jet! Welcome!! If you get opp review the many (100K +) ads in www.**************. You can tell what boat styles are actually available and the price range. Go to its Advanced Search feature and you can request pretty much whatever type craft you seek to explore. Usually the picts are great and stats are well rounded. Got questions... Ask Away. Mariners in YF usually have answers! :D - Cheers, Art
  9. knot a jet

knot a jet New Member

thanks! i have looked on yachtworld , boatquest, boattrader, and a couple of brokers sites - popyachts being one- lots of fun doing boat searches on line- enjoying reading message boards to learn what i can for the next purchase ;) - also plan to look at yachtcouncil, bucnet, planetyacht -

look forward to more reading here!

Thanks again for all the great info being posted for us newbies ;)
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Where did your husband find you, and does he appreciate what a find he got? I'll bet you convinced him to take the Basic Boatiing course rather than the other way around.:)
  11. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Good God - Knot A Jet Gal! ;)

With you it's no longer equal lib... but rather Uber Lib!! You have the girl features' dream that Helen Redding sang about! :cool:

You ready to run for Prez in 2012?? Our USA NEEDS You!! Can I help run your campaign?. “A Boat in every slip and a lobster in every pot! ****... you could run the U.S. from your own "White Yacht". Now that would be a FIRST! Just make sure the SS guards can swim! Errr... Navy Seals should be deployed for you as Prez! :eek:

Kidding aside; my forever gal Linda is also an Uber Lib officiando... sweat too, and I love it all! I’m very pleased to be making your boat-filled acquaintance on-line at YF. Happy Boating... Get It On!

Cheers, W. :D