Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

First attempt at yacht design

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by Octavian, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Stefffke

Stefffke New Member

So we are two who speak not easily english...

I'm here as a novice in yachts design...
    I started design some river boats as spits, but with them the sea cruising is limited... I think they're not suitable for the sea...
    Boating is great, but staying in inland waterways is not so funny...
    So, is it possible to create a boat with a length limit of 38m, a beam limit of 5m and a draft limit of 1.80m, who is able to cruise in sea?
    Just another question... Which shipbuilding softwares do you know?
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

To: All aspiring Yacht Designers...
    From: The guy who has to drive them, maintain and repair them...

Please, go to sea for a few years, and work as a ship builder for a few years so you have an idea of what design elements work and which don't. The world does not need more Italian yachts that look beautiful and are completely non functional. I'm just concluding spending over $5MM straightening out design and execution errors on a $12MM new boat. No better way to learn boat design than by being on them and building them. There is more to them than pretty. They are first and foremost vessels that must operate at sea. They also have to be designed in such a way that they can be constructed properly. They also have to be maintained, so you have to be able to get to everything, and mechanical systems must be easily serviced and replaced. They must also be safe to be aboard. Larger cavernous spaces are impressive, but also allow for greater kinetic energy to be gained as you fly across it in a storm, hence more injuries. Form follows function first and foremost with a boat. That said, no reason you can't make it pretty as well.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Neither did the guys at Oceanco.....:(