Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Burger

First attempt at yacht design

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by Octavian, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Hi,

Here's my first attempt at yacht design, and i would really like to hear what you think of it. Are the proportions right? What do you like and what do you dislike? I should add that i'm 18 and that my knowledge of both design and computers are limited.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, I think your first yacht design is a mix of all the strange "first designs" we have seen recently. If you are thinking of working with yacht design, you should rather start copying older existing designs and try to figure out why they look as they do. Then you can start to alter the lines to get your own profile, being aware of what each change may result in. Like better or worse to build, to handle or to maintain, to name a few issues.

Most challenging is to make smaller yachts, from 10 to 50 meter, try to get a nice 40 meter yacht as your next project!:)
  3. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at it as a mix between feadships predator and the oculus concept yacht (see avatar) with a more tratitional yacht stern. I will take your advice and start work on a traditional 40m yacht right away and post that as soon as i'm done.
  4. Octavian

Octavian New Member

40m cruiser

Encouraged by AMG I designed this 40m yacht and i would love to hear what you guys think of it.

Attached Files:

5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

One of my rules is, "never show something new before you have slept a night in between"...:D

Besides this, it is not bad, but not really realistic either. You need to make up a grid with lines so you know that it is possible to walk around inside all areas.

This is easy when you are designing in a computer, where you can work in layers.

Another thing I noticed is your aft platform, but you are not alone in making them too low. Having them wet all the time is not nice. On the other hand, if you lift it above the waterline, you may have slamming from the sea.

The best on larger yachts is to have it integrated in the transom and high enough to stay dry and to dock your tender. Then you can have a ladder or a moving part to get easy access to the water.
  6. Octavian

Octavian New Member

First of all, that rule of yours makes sence :)

secondly I really appreciate this advice I'm getting and will bear it in mind on future attempts. When it comes to the grids you mentioned i'm not sure if the program i use is able to do exactly that, but could you lead me in the direction of a free (funds are unfortunately limited at the moment) rendering program that can help me improve my designs?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think your program is good enough for concept designs. I guess you can measure on the screen what you are drawing, like if you make a square or move a line a certain distance. With this you can make the grid/helplines and then remove them when finished. Or you simply draw up a man that you copy and paste in different positions to confirm it is space and headroom enough to use the boat.
  8. Octavian

Octavian New Member

ok thanks.
  9. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Lars even when the platform is raised, it still gets wet quite regularly from the sea when the yacht is underway. The prop wash ends up following the yacht and 'jumping' up onto the raised platform. I do get your idea about slamming from the sea though...

Look here..."Kismet's" platform wet from just cruising while "Carinthia VII" is dry. Of course the thickness of the platforms, sea state, speed, pitching of the yacht all help determine whether the platform will be soaked by the prop wash..

5__Kismet_Stern_Zoom.JPG

Carinthia_VII.jpg

Credit: Photo of "Kismet" from YF review
    : Photo of "Carinthia VII" by Lars
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Then it is not my design...:D Even this little 25-footer should stay dry, but of course you can get water spray on the platform if the boat is very fast, or you are making a very fast stop, which is not to recommend anyway.

What I was thinking of is all the yachts with low platforms and often a rubrail that goes forward and is almost lifting water instead of deflecting it.

Attached Files:

11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Well, these young designers...:) Look at the original, by Bannenberg from 1986, dry and nice:

Attached Files:

12. Yacht News

Hi Lars, I know it seems like we are de-railing the thread abit...but who is the yacht in the above pic? Is it an Oceanfast?
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes it is an Oceanfast, the yacht that was and still is the trendsetter No1, called Parts VI, later Madiblue. I thought it could be something for our friend Octavian to have a look at for the Bannenberg story.

Attached Files:

14. Yacht News

Yes agreed. But Bannenberg did ALOT of work for Oceanfast though, especially the earlier Oceanfast boats
  15. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Thanks alot. I must say that this has been on of the more helpful forums i've come across in a long while.:)
  16. Lionel D

Lionel D New Member

My first attemp...

Hello,

I didn't want to create another subject for this little contribution, so I hope that I will not upset the author by using this subject...

This my first and really humble attemp at yacht design :

Please, feel free to tell me about it flaws (technical wise) as I have no yacht design knowledge.

And of course, this is work in progress!

Length = 120m

Attached Files:

17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Lionel, not bad for a first attempt. I would not put a helipad above three other decks though, since all there, like chairs, cushions and personal things, has to be secured. Better to have it aft on this design.

But this is what design is all about, "kill your darlings"... :)
  18. Yacht News

Yep, everything on those upper aft-deck would be blown away from the rotor wash. The aft maindeck with a system like what "Alfa Nero" uses might be better and you can have a pool at the same time.

Question: What is insid of that structure just forward of the Eurocopter that the mast is sitting on?
  19. Lionel D

Lionel D New Member

Thanks for your replies!

Well I put the helipad on the top deck as seen in Ocenco Y705...
    Haven't thought about the "flying cushions" problem!
    And above the Eurocopter is its garage, with a circular open door.
    The main aft deck is effectively set to host a pool like on Alpha nero.

I will developp the idea and let you see the result..
  20. Lionel D

Lionel D New Member

Sorry I mean foward of the Eurocopter, not above! My english is not so good...