Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Ferry sinking in South Korea with 476 on board

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by German Yachting, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The pictures shown on the web show no hull impact. That may not mean there was not a colision, but no holes or rocks still stuck in the plates.

Yes, I am speculating as a novice observer.

Rookie pilot, quick turn when entering shallow water, currents, shifting cars, trucks & equipment below, MAY have been a culprit.

The officers are going to jail. As the movie dictates; "Somebody has to go to jail, Ben".
  2. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

What's the matter with commercial Cap's recently? Concordia, this... you would think that's the rare kind of uniquely lower rear side-styled behavior, yet both times officers assured their own survival and paid minimal if any attention to saving lives of passengers in their care.
    Where does it come from?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, they are rare instances just horrible results when it happens. And the causes are threefold in my mind. Captains compromising and doing things poorly. Owners cutting corners and putting captains into poor positions. Governments failing to regulate strongly in some circumstances.

Just comparing to air, the regulations there are tougher, in general the airlines are more safety conscious and the level of training and experience higher and less easily compromised.

Plus one other. The pilot on the plane is always in the cabin where the piloting is taking place. Not off in a cabin having drinks or running to his cabin for some reason.

Boating is coming closer to trains or even to buses where accidents are common especially in certain parts of the world.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think it all comes down to cowardice, and a worldwide "Me" culture. 'As long as I come out of it ok, then to hell with everyone else.' Also the fact that people are rarely held accountable for their actions if they can achieve celebrity status. There once was a day when the Costa captain would have never made it to a lawyer's office.
  5. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I'm not even as much surprised by lack of professionalism or integrity as by a sheer idiocy of it. I mean, it takes significantly less effort to issue end execute basic evacuation drill and see to rafts being deployed and passengers disembarking before jumping ship (especially considering no matter how unprofessional you are, you did a drill or two on it at certifications, at least, 100% sure you have at least basic idea on what to do), then to attend courts for years knowing full well you're likely spend many more years in jail afterwards. You would expect someone with intellectual capability to learn a profession (aka not being clinically mentally handicapped) to be able to figure this out by past mid-life? Yet neither Schettino nor this guy here did. I mean, really, how could it be?
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There was a plane crash in Finland this weekend where the pilot left in a parachute together with two other survivors, while the 8 other passengers all died. They were all parachuters, but nothing is said yet why they followed the plane down when the pilot didn't..?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do people really think that far ahead today?
  8. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

How far? Them both (concordia and this) got arrested within days iirc. As Capitans they sign (and supposedly write, but at least sign) cruise schedules longer ahead, which guarantees they have this amount of foresight. It's no bedlam patients or preschool-dropout-"rapper"s we're talking, no, highly educated and professionally successful people (as becoming a Cap necessitates a long and positive career). This is what puzzles me.
    I mean, okay, there is this panic strike that could make a baby out of a big macho, but both catastrophes were, by the look of it, relatively, how to put it, well-paced. E.g. not a flash fire or something. Surely a late career sailor should not get utterly panic striken at a thought of big, slowly sinking ship? And two, within relatively short timeframe?
  9. olderboater

Well, scene reconstruction digitally might shed some light on what happened once the vessel is salvaged. It is appearing more that the tilt was swift and severe. Certainly it handicapped moving but saying the people couldn't move puzzles me a bit. Were they thrown against a wall? In fact, an irony is that at first there was talk the people didn't move to try to regain vessel stability. Well, were the people thrown to the low side, their movement would have been to the high side. Not enough weight to help but sure not hurting.

The thinking that somehow the passengers would be better off on the boat than thrown in the water is where it all goes awry. And as to the third mates comment about the wheel. "I turned but the steering wheel went much further than usual."

There are two levels of problems. First, what was done on the ship, the handling of it, the orders or lack thereof, the non evacuation.

Second though is what was done before. The refit adding upper level weight. How much cargo and cars? Certainly sounds like the cargo was not safely secured. What about the total weight of cargo and cars. Balancing loads is important when carrying humans, cars, and containers of cargo. The fog-were conditions reasonable. Were they trying to make up time on the way? Then crew and training.

I think those responsible such as the Captain and mates, certainly deserve some blame. But I think others do as well. It also seems to me that there have been some very inflammatory remarks by the South Korean government toward the Captain. Sounded a bit too political to me with the quick and very public arrests, taking pressure off their rescue efforts. Also, their licensing, inspection, and other requirements should be subjected to scrutiny.

Just arresting and convicting the captain won't do anything toward preventing this from happening again. More needs to be done.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How many airline pilots have been busted drinking in the airport bar or downright drunk as they headed for the plane they were about to fly. A responsible job is zero guaranty of responsible behavior. A responsible career is zero guaranty of responsible behavior. Being intelligent has no relation to being smart. I've known several high powered , highly educated people whom I'd never trust with so much as a screwdriver in their hands.
  11. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

The way big planes work, at least pilots are much less likely to bail first leaving passengers to their demise...

And what I've been saying, you would, I suspect, actually trust them not to screw themselves with said screwdriver. Amoral, irresponsible - okay, seen many of those high up myself, but this bleeding stupid to make such a career- and liberty-killing blunder in front of the whole world of audience - that's surprising, really.
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

13. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

14. olderboater

This story faded from our thoughts but there are some updates. The searches are still underway for bodies with 16 not found. Also another diver lost their life.

The head of the family that owned the operator of the ferry is apparently running from authorities as an arrest warrant was issued two weeks ago and they haven't found him yet. He is under arrest apparently for negligence, embezzlement and tax evasion. All 15 surviving crew members were arrested and charged with gross negligence. As to the investigation of the crash, currently overloading and turning too fast are cited as causes.

How this all fits together and what the final findings will be is anyone's guess.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You forgot to add there is a nice fat reward for his capture and his daughter has been taken into custody in France and will be deported to Korea.
  16. olderboater

I did not know that. I did know the business holdings were in his kid's names but he was considered the one in charge. Any charges against his daughter?

Will they next be charging all who have ever met him? I found it incredulous that they charged every crew member because they felt some abandoned too quickly. I also wonder how long you keep risking more lives to find bodies of those you know to be dead.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That question could also be posed to those searching for a 777 as everytime a plane lifts off or a vessel casts off the risk to those onboard is increased.

The article I saw about the daughter: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27602015
  18. olderboater

Plus members of his church/religious sect.

I'd say one difference between the 777 as here the vessel is located and the cause of the accident believed to be known. No perpetrator to be discovered and apprehended.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Today's news says that sentences are about to be handed down, including a possible death sentence for the captain. Makes me wonder what (if anything) the Italians are doing with the Costa Concordia. Seems they may have been more concerned with getting the ship out of sight, than in prosecuting those responsible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.