Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Fender Covers - Educate Me

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Jan 8, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

I don't see a problem!!!!
  2. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

With twin engines and bow thrusters everywhere operators have not learned how to spring a boat from a dock. My folks Gulfstar with single Perkins needed to spring from every dock. Mom was in charge of spring cleat and she was amazing. The way 90% of boats tie off to a cleat today there would be flying cleats and broken lines all around. How times have changed. Speaking of fenders, we'd use fender boards instead when springing. Stronger and wouldn't roll out at the worst times.
    Fishtigua likes this.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I absolutely hear you, I get a feed from the "Loopers association", I spend most of that read shaking my head, yet somehow they survive their lack of proper boating knowledge.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

As a kid, my dad was adamant regarding dock lines being secured in a manner as to not bind. He repeatedly insisted that you'd never know when an event would need you off the dock faster than one could anticipate, and that often that haste would meet conditions that bound you in place. He also kept a sharp machete in the wheel house. I remember him using it once on a rogue bow line doing a squall along with a repetition of the educational instruction soon thereafter.

Other times the machete was convenient for coconuts on an island...
    Slimshady likes this.