Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Favorite boat and yachting magazine?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by BenSeattle, Jul 24, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Online: YachtForums. Everyone seems to agree on that!
    Hardcopy magazine: The Yacht Report and Yacht Design.
  2. boatman82

boatman82 New Member

I agree totally. Good mix of information in general and boats.
  3. Roys Luciano

Roys Luciano New Member

Boat International (1), Its my number one magazine, verry nice photography, also Boote Exclusive (2)(german) verry good, Showboats (3)

P.s. If somebody in the Netherlands have old magazines that he want to trow away or don't want anymore, let me know I would like to have them :)
  4. orion

orion Senior Member

Vela e Motore
    Outstanding Italian Magazine, dream boats editions smacks you off;)
    www.velaemotore.com
  5. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Hmmm... only 26 responses? There must be more magazine subscribers than this?
  6. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Another good magazine is: Meer & Yachten (german) is meaning: sea & yachts.
  7. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

The Nuts & Bolts of Boating...
    IBINEWS.COM
  8. Brian

Brian Senior Member

I enjoy all of them but one that hasn't been mentioned is Professional Boatbuilder. It has interesting features of yacht construction, design and performance, as well as builder and designer histories. If your in the industry, it's free... give it a try!
  9. kagraham

kagraham New Member

I agree with Brian, although I do not have a subscription yet, Professional Boatbuilder is one of the magazines I have read and found very insightful. Much more information per issue than others such as Yachting (half brokerage listings). I did not know however, that it was free for those in the industry. I read Boating and Trailer Boating occassionally because my dad has subscriptions and passes them on to me, I enjoy them simply b/c they have a lot more to do with small craft, but they are not particularly critical or insightful.
    -karl
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Just seen news yesterday that suggests that Boat International Media has acquired Show Boats International Magazine.

11. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I still get Passagemaker and Practical Sailor, PS does some great equipment reviews.
  12. Yacht News

13. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:D I haven't felt the need to buy a yachting magazine since I found this site.
    A true yet slightly sugar-sweet statement.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was about to wise off that all the YF shirts are gone so there's no need to kiss up when something occurred to me. I like P & My and have a subscription and I'm backed up about 9 months on my reading. As much as I hate to admit it, reading publications is beginning to feel like a bit of a chore. Not sure I'm the better for that.:eek:
  15. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

That is an extremely well done brochure...great choice of images, very evocative.
    *note to self...there is a beautiful world out there...get out and see it sometime*
  16. LLC

LLC New Member

Big fan of Seahorse Magazine, dropping on the doormat each month.

YachtDesign, SuperYachtWorld or BoatInternational are the magazines I look at whilst traveling. Most magazines lack the technical content I look for so it is a once every so often purchase. The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) has some nice publications, Ship & Boat International usually covers the technical side of stuff involved with superyachts (this month got a nice piece on props as well as a 86' Riva).
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Since I last posted in this thread 3 years ago nothing's changed. Yacht Design is still the only one that I find interesting enough to read, but unfortunately it's a hassle to find regularly so even that mag goes unread by me.

As YF.com continues to expand it's coverage the mags just become less and less relevant to me, and since my iPhone gives me portability anywhere the need for printed media just is not there for me any longer.
  18. Yacht News

Sounds like the direction the Yachting industry is going in in terms of publications. I do not think printed media will be come extinct, at least not just yet but Online publications once done right have distinct advantages. If done wrong, has a hoard of consequences!

I'm sure charter yachts use alot of Printed publictations from the various 'names' oboard to keep their guests occupied if they so choose to read a mag but can we say that the next time you are looking for a nice review on a yacht it will be on a TV? use your laptop and log on to YF.com!

Seriously though, I think each medium has its own advantages but from an economical stand point, personally I think electronic media in this industry is doing a very good job! Not just us here at YF.com but otherwise! (no names)
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

But Ron, do you really think someone chartering a yacht would want to read a yacht magazine? Or any magazine? Personally I'd have a list of better ways to spend my time relaxing on a luxurious vessel at sea. And when I did choose to read, it would be something entertaining and diverting... not a magazine.
  20. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

You, me and millions of others get most of our information this way. This is why PM and others are doing webbased publications. I do enjoy this site but still like to sit with the mag or paper in my hands and my coffee on the table. Old fashioned but relaxing. The BB starts to hurt my eyes after awhile.

I still vote for PM and PS though.