Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay

Farm Raised or Caught in the Wild?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually a lot more may have had it than realize. I understand that it's often stamped out and sold as scallops.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Stingray wings are also great fried in butter or garlic butter.

The stamping of Stingray wings and Shark Filets into Scallops is one reason to refuse to accept them without the roe attached IMO.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unfortunately it usually shows up on your plate in a restaurant, even some of the better ones, and you won't know until you read about it.
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Crabs

Since we are talking seafood here I thought I might bring up this crab subject.

A lawyer boarded an airplane coming home from Mardi gras with a box of frozen crabs and asked the blonde flight attendant to take care of them for him.

She took the box and promised to put it in the crew's refrigerator. He advised her, in no uncertain terms, that he was holding her personally responsible for insuring that they remained frozen, mentioning in a very haughty manner that he was an attorney, and proceeded to lecture her about the adverse consequences if she were to permit them to thaw out. Needless to say, she was annoyed by his behavior.

Shortly before landing in Philadelphia, she used the intercom to announce to the entire cabin, "Would the lawyer who gave me the crabs in New Orleans please raise your hand?"

Not one hand went up, so she took them home and ate them.

Two lessons here:

1. Lawyers aren't as smart as they think they are.

2. Blondes aren't as dumb as most folk think

:D:rolleyes:
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Couldn't resist forwarding that one to my lawyer even though I know I'll pay for it.:D
  6. brian eiland

Speaking of Crabs....

Look at the size of this one. Regrettable a lot of the crabs that use to be harvested in Thailand are fished out to a great extent, and they are coming in from Sir Lanka last I heard.

...but is was a nice seafood meal

Attached Files:

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Forget the lobsters Brian's got crabs!!!!! hehehee......That's a nice looking crab, is it similar to a dungeness crab?
  8. brian eiland

It is similar to dungeness I am told, but I never understood exactly what those differences were.

And speaking of Lobster, the catch off Vietnam and the Thai gulf use to be fantastic. I understand the catch off Vietnam has gone down CONSIDERABLE in size and quantity ever since they allowed the Japanese to come in with long lines to their waters back in the 90's. The Thai fleet itself is so large that likely they fished their own population out.
  9. brian eiland

Genetically Engineered Salmon

...got this little notice in my email today...
    The FDA is on the brink of approving genetically engineered salmon for human consumption. This would be the first genetically engineered animal on supermarket shelves in the United States.

The salmon is engineered to produce growth hormones year-round that cause the fish to grow at twice the normal rate. The government already requires labels to tell us if fish is wild-caught or farm-raised—don't we also have a right to know if our salmon is genetically engineered? Without labels, we'll never know.

More than forty countries, including Russia and China, already require labels on genetically engineered foods. As Americans, we firmly believe that we deserve the same right to know what we are eating.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

That means farm raised fish, you guys in the US have been eating farm fish for years, now, unless this is some new technology, it's farmed and raised on drugs...
    OK guys, this is where an educated consumer decides what survives in the market place. no0t the Government, so are we going to hear an outcry or just believe the Gov. who,to some are next to G*d. If this is a political post, then it's a **** good one !!!!
  11. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

If you know the score... only the insane eat farm raised salmon

This is nuts... food is not about corporate profits first (not that profits are bad!), but meeting our needs as human beings. Has the government considered the effects on wild stock if these fish escape? They have not cleared the "darwin" hurdles, and could doom the whole species if allowed to exist.

I agree, the market has to speak up and stop buying this crap. In the US fish are labelled "wild caught" or "farm", and I won't buy farmed products for a bunch of other reasons... but this takes the cake. :mad:
  12. brian eiland

There was a petition to sign from the creators of that announcement that was sent with the original email. I did not want to post that info on the forum, but if someone wants the info I can send it to them privately.

Below is an email from Eric Schlosser, the author of Fast Food Nation, and Gary Hirshberg, chairman of Stonyfield Farm. Eric and Gary created a petition on SignOn.org that is getting a lot of attention.
  13. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Correction.
    Apart from the fact that you're completely by-passing the fact that humans are not equal to animals, people are still being smoked today.
    Probably not in the US and Europe but in some parts of PNG deseased are still preserved after dead by smoking them. Sort of low tech Gunther von Hagen plastinations.
  14. airship

airship Senior Member

Before responding adequately, please advise whether they are "more equal" or "less equal" to humans, you didn't precise very clearly...?!

(On behalf of a Nile crocodile - "Hmmm, never tasted wild or farmed salmon myself - they run in rivers you say? My grandpa once consumed a Scotsman, legend has it that he let it go immediately after one whiff under the kilt." :)
  15. airship

airship Senior Member

16. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Airship, without entering a linguistic or philosophical battle; fish are not to openly discuss how best to prepare human-beings by smoking methods.
  17. airship

airship Senior Member

Touché, tirekicker11?! :)

I've since advised all the "head-fishes" to continue their own private discussions related to the subject in another "smoke-filled and fish-only" secret forum worthy of Westminster.

Like the proverbial panda, one eats, shoots and leaves...
  18. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Her is an item about our local Government about to make it an offence to advise anyone that any animal/fish that may contain disease is an offence punishable by prison time. Disgusting....

Alex Morton gorbuscha@gmail.com via npogroups.org
    4:02 PM (16 hours ago)

to Alex
    Hello

In response to the hundreds of you who wrote me about proposed Bill 37 List of Bills with Hansard Debates | 4th Session | 39th Parliament | Legislative Assembly of British Columbia that would make disease reporting a punishable offense, I have set up a petition at Health Petition: COSTCO and Safeway We Don't Want to Eat Salmon Flu or Heart Viruses | Change.org

By working with change.org we have the opportunity to reach the world. Because not everyone on earth is as attached to wild salmon as we are, I raised the human health aspect of this that has been dangerously over-looked. So many people, particularly my First Nation family and friends, are asking me about what these viruses are doing to us. I don't know, but several nurses and doctors have taken me aside after lectures a to share their concerns that influenza viruses are unpredictable and nasty. So I have simply asked COSTCO and Safeway to label farm salmon with the viruses in them, because the BC Government has chosen to make disease reporting punishable.

If Minister Don McRae gets his way and silences me and others, there is no way we will ever know what viruses are spilling into BC waters. The epidemic in Clayoquot has been quickly followed by announcements that the Ahlstrom site near Sechelt Inlet, owned by Grieg and stocked with coho is being "quarantined" for a viral outbreak, as well as, farms in the US. I have no idea how big this is going to get. I have no reason to believe any of the reports that this is IHN, we have not seen a single test result, but either way IHN is not good news.

Please donate to Salmon Disease Testing by Alexandra Morton - GoFundMe if you want to participate in the testing or in the legal fees depending which way this thing goes.

I am updating my blog frequently to keep people informed about the epidemics alexandramorton.typepad.com

Please do everything you can to distribute the change.org petition. We clearly have no impact on the BC government - but COSTCO and Safeway will.

Thank you,
  19. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

The power of the people at work !!!!!!

latest news.....

Alex Morton gorbuscha@gmail.com via npogroups.org
    11:21 PM (10 hours ago)

to Alex
    Hello

Almost unbelievably Minister Don McRae's Bill 37 has been withdrawn. It remains on the order paper, but will not be revisited in this sitting of the BC Legislature! The Liberals have cancelled the fall sitting, so it won't come up for another year. Therefore, we are free to continue tracking these viruses, figuring out which ones are present and where and what they are doing. The threat of prison was extremely unpleasant, but we had decided to challenge the act had it passed - a number of lawyers thought it was unconstitutional.
  20. Brian

Brian Senior Member