Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno

Ever wonder about Striker Yachts...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SHAZAM, Jan 27, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Maybe that 10,000 number is total, and they are split between 3 shifts? I don't think anyone will agree that our Mexican border is all that fortified. I also have a feeling that what border guards we have may be concentrated in various areas along the border and others are fairly un-protected.
  2. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Secure border

What are the miles and numbers on the border between North/South Korea? (plus land mines, etc).
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I wrote: "...across the most highly guarded border we have..."

"you're joking, right?"

The original contention, which I have clearly shown to be false, is that the US/Mexico border is not our most heavily guarded.

Regardless of what one thinks of the efficiency of the guards and the means used to guard that border, the fact that there are not mile after mile of walls topped with barbed wire and backed up with seismic and other sophisticated electronic and video sensors, plus thousands of border patrol agents and National guard troops along our coastlines or the Canadian border proves my point.

Why is that concept so difficult for some?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"It is 250 kilometres (160 miles) long, approximately 4 km (2.5 mi) wide and is the most heavily militarized border in the world."
  5. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I'm sure google is better then my eyes at solid numbers, but I had a chance to glimpse it from afar (you've got to be special just to get near it in the South, especially as a foreigner. I figure North is at least as "lax".) It's literally what you imagine from all the movies about prisons/camps/whatever: fortifications, posts one in sight of the other and patrols, again, one in sight of the other.
    And all that, double time - both sides.

Considering how they do shell and torpedo each other these years, I can see why. (Not to disturb the issue of happy soviet Northern citizen trying to get across to lowly capitalist hell of the South... ok, no more politics).

It's also a big question if maintaining this kind of border in not so... extreme circumstances costs less or more then any other concievable measures PLUS potential damage.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

He seems to be doing a lot better than a number of hard working Americans who have kept their noses clean.

He has previously claimed to be retired and collecting $667/mo in Social Security, now after being on the run for 30 yrs he is sentenced to a fully funded 5 yr 24/7 Holiday Camp where his every dietary and medical need will be catered to at someone else's expense.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With all the cuts to social services that's actually becoming a viable option. I read the other day about a 59 year old man who robbed a bank of $1 and then sat down to wait for the police. He'd lost his home, job and health insurance after a lifetime of being a productive member of society. This was his only option for staying alive and getting medical treatment. He hoped to be jailed for 3 years to carry him to limited Social Security, but he may have blown that by only stealing $1, but at least he's getting the medical treatment he needs..
  9. FutureYachter

FutureYachter Member

I wish I could reply LOL to this but it is just too sad that this is what some people are forced to resort to.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ain't that the sad truth of the 21st Century.

I was talking to a guy recently who is in his 70's and is worried over the fact that his wife has Dementia, because they have some funds and their insurance co won't stump up the full cost of top class care they will soon be chewing through their nest egg at a pretty good rate.

He said if they make 85 and run out of cash/assets to fund it he would shoot the missus and spend the rest of his time in a full care facility where the Govt would take care of his needs.

These folks have been good citizens and have both worked all their lives due to unfortunate circumstances they had no kids so there was no slack periods of non contribution by the wife to the ever open Govt Sinkhole.

It really is a sad day when productive members of society have to look at this very brutal way of ending things.