Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

European tariffs on U.S. Boats

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Cruz, Jun 21, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Any us owned boat can apply for a temp import visa for 18 months. With this you can easily not be subject to import or vat, but this does not apply if you are an EU citizen. There are plenty of legal firms n Isle of man that promise to operate a holding company with them (not you) as directors. But still a pain n the ass.

Honestly with as much time as I’ve spent in the last couple years looking at boats in the med, you rarely see a us build. I doubt hatteras exports even 5%.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, some numbers. US boats exported are just over $1.5 billion a year. Of those approximately $340 million are to the EU. Canada is by far the leading country to which exported.

EU and Canada are 20% of all Regal sales. They immediately had $4 million of orders cancelled and figure on losing $13 million in revenue this year. Barring a change they anticipate layoffs.

Bertram immediately had a $4 million 61' boat cancelled by a European customer. 15% of their sales are to Europe. They have stopped their expansion plans. Ironic that a foreign owned builder is hurt by this but then foreign auto manufacturers export a lot of cars from the US. Another foreign owned boat builder, Glastron/Four Winns is hit too.

Carver's EU dealer immediately cancelled 2 yachts and will not order any while the tariff is in effect.

20% of Larson boat sales are in Canada.

The above is information publicly disclosed by the companies which is why I feel free to disclose it versus other information I have.

You haven't been looking at the type boats exported. In fact, you've been looking at boats in Europe because you've looked at the types not built in the US. The largest group of exported boats is in the 26-40' range. With the boat builders in that range I'm familiar with, exports are from 6% to 22% of their volume.

I know two small custom SF manufacturers with cancelled sold boats. I'm sure there are many more.

Don't underestimate Hatteras's exports
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. rpontual

rpontual Member

There are more variables to this:

First USD is pretty strong now, even without tarifs our products are less competitive in EU.

If US imports less boats from EU, American manufacturers may see a sales increase to Americans.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There is nothing at this point that would cause the US to import fewer boats, no new tariff on US imports. In addition, the boats imported are not generally available from US builders.