Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Entry-Level Stew, new to the industry

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by keldeesand, Aug 17, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. keldeesand

keldeesand New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a 31 y/o female registered nurse who has decided to pursue the yacht industry as a career. I'm set to arrive in Fort Lauderdale mid Sept to complete a 5 day stew-course as well as ENG 1. I already have my STCW '95 BST cert.
    I have no experience as of yet, but plan on updating my CV accordingly after completion of additional training and day work. I do, however, have experience in patient care, customer service, admin/clerical, fitness instruction, and a little food service/event planning through volunteer work, etc.
    I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, but one of my concerns is age. Am I too old to be starting out in this industry? I don't really feel that it would be an issue since I look young, fit, and am extremely determined and eager to learn. I also get along well with all types of people, am a team player, and use to stressful and adverse conditions due to my nursing background. Do you think I will have a hard time finding permanent work? And what else can I do to make my transition a successful one?

I really appreciate everyone's constructive input!
    Thanks!
  2. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Stewardess Newcomer

I do Crewing since 10 years now and I am not sure if a 5 day Stew course will bring you more on Top of any Crew Agency List.
    Think about what you will learn in a 5 days course ?
    We have a Training program running in Germany for Stewardess and Deckhands but this is 5 month including 1 month practical Training on board a Yacht above 30 meters.

Send your CV ( google: crewagency ) and you will find me.:cool:

I will check what I can do if you see this Job as a Hard Job and not to sail
    a bit in nice sunshine places around the world. From this type of Crew I have too many in my databases.
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Hi Keldeesand,

I do not think 31 is too old to start a career in Yachting. You are doing the right thing by taking a few courses, if for no other reason than to show you are serious about making a new career and not just passing your way through.
    Your best bet is to get as much day work as you can and network real hard, do not get rapped up in the crew house partying and negativity. Get to know Ft. Lauderdale, and walk the docks early. You will find alot of nice people who will help and alot of ___holes who will not give you the time of day. Always dress appropriatley and have a set of work clothes with you. Show up on time and even early and prove you can be an asset to the vessel and things will happen for you.
    You will be in FLL during the height of the job search season, competion will be tough, work the agencies, but do not depend on them. Pre register with them and get your interview over with early, then check in as much as possible.
    I strongly suggest Dockwalk, Triton and Neptune group for online resources, I have gotten 90% of my crew lately from them or word of mouth.
    Good luck and do not get discouraged, your best bet is to get on as large a boat as possible as the connections you make will be invaulable in the future.
    Regards